Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Most complicated TV or movie plot?
  • MrPottatoHead

Currently working our way through a show called Quantico from a few years back which is a bit of a 24 style action thriller about FBI/CIA recruits. Mostly very good but honestly way to complicated and have to pause every 10 mins to check with the wife what’s going on.

For me it’s going to bit up there as one of the most complex storylines out there, but what else has left people confuddled?

oldnpastit

Does Cloud Atlas count? A story within a story within a story within a story that then unwinds to the final conclusion. If you haven’t read the book the film is likely to be utterly baffling.

weeksy

Recently ‘the Tourist’ was a bit confusing..

pandhandj
    Free Member

Memento – Guy Pearce stars as someone who cant make new memories…

DrP

Ah, but memento was MEANT to start baffling (cos it’s a movie played backwards..) and THEN make sense at the end (aka the start)

DrP

pandhandj
    Free Member

Oh yeah, thanks DrP – couldn’t you have mentioned that about 15 years ago? :):):)

Cougar

Memento

… was what I was going to say. It’s not complicated per se, but it requires at least two watches to unravel. (IIRC the DVD had a ‘play in chronological order’ option)

Donny Darko? I’m sure there’s far, far more complicated than either of these.

fazzini

Jacobs Ladder

theotherjonv

Usual Suspects.

Still not sure, who is Keyser Soze?

nickewen
    Free Member

Tenet had me absolutely pickled. I stopped even caring/trying to understand waaay before the end..

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Any recent Bond film.

mrmoofo

Dune

I have no idea what was going on -but I also didn’t care!
    Homeland – started off well – but lost the plot really early on. Still have no idea if Damien was a goodie or baddie

johnners
    Free Member

Tenet had me absolutely pickled

The Nolan fanboys rave about its cleverness and intricate plotting. I’m afraid I just found it wilfully obscure to the point of tedium.

tomhoward

Tenet had me absolutely pickled. I stopped even caring/trying to understand waaay before the end..

Beat me to it. Really tried to begin with too.

argee

I enjoyed Tenet, it actually made sense to me in the end, unlike inception, which had a few more confusing bits that i couldn’t tie together at the end.

Lost had a complicated plot, but so do a few TV shows, which most unfortunately then try and water down, causing it to turn to rubbish like Game of Thrones, Lost, 24, etc.

Houns

+1 Tenet. I normally like a complicated plot that you have to think through, but after a couple of watches of Tenet I just couldn’t get it

nickjb
    Free Member

Primer. Superb low budget time travel film. Not complicated for the sake of it but does need you to engage your brain.

jimmy

Tenet has been on my list for ages but I have a review of it stuck in my head along these lines

wilfully obscure to the point of tedium

gobuchul
    Free Member

The TV series Rubicon was a bit complex.

chakaping
    Free Member

I recently watched The Prestige for the first time. Was a good film but could have done with being pared back just a touch IMO. There were moments (especially the Tesla-related) ones, where I was just thinking “WTF is going on now?”.

Memento

No, it was deceptively simple – once you “got” it. And that was the beauty of it.

Dune

Wasn’t complicated enough IMO.

As a newcomer to the story, it seemed very broad and lacking in exposition or plot/character development for its length.

Maybe that was why Dune was unengaging though, that Villeneuve prioritised perfume advert aesthetics over exposition? Anyway, bit emperor’s new clothes, I thought.

sharkattack

Recently ‘the Tourist’ was a bit confusing..

I thought that just wasn’t very good. You could tell they were trying to make Fargo but with only 6 episodes to do it and too many characters involved. When you have to dedicate an entire episode to a ‘hallucination’ which magically ties up all the threads you’ve been dangling it feels like the writers are in trouble.

blokeuptheroad

Dune

So glad I decided to read the book before I saw the film!  The film confuses partly because it stops and is left hanging halfway through the book.  It’s a great film though and the book is even better.  Never bothered with SciFi much before, but Dune has awakened an interest in reading a bit more.

I would second Homeland, though mostly because it shunned the binary Hollywood world of clear cut heroes and villains and an absence of nuance.  It was complex because the all the characters made mistakes, had character flaws and questioned their motives. It acknowledged the complexity and murkiness of the real world in parts, while still being wildly unrealistic in others!

thols2

I gave up on 12 Monkeys in the final season. By the time each new season came out, I had forgotten what had happened before. The final season left me completely bewildered as to what was going on. It just made no sense at all and I couldn’t be arsed rewatching it all from the start to try and figure it out.

I gave up on Homeland when the woman got pregnant. Season 1 was really good but it took a huge nosedive after that. I heard it got better again but I couldn’t be bothered finding out.

sirromj

Predestination beats Tenet by a long shot.

travo
    Free Member

Dark on Netflix, nothing can touch that for complicated, awesome series and I reckon one of the best on netflix but I think its impossible to make it through all 3 seasons whilst knowing what the hell is going on

mahalo

Westworld is absolutely baffling. its pretty much the only thing ive given up on, even though i was enjoying it! even reading the synopsis and recap articles afterwards were just as baffling.

footflaps

Dark was very confusing – multiple parallel time threads (up to 5 IIRC), each character appearing 3 times (at different ages), two parallel universes (doubling everything before) and then in the last series everything intertwined and interacting.

Westworld is absolutely baffling

yes the Bernard’s memory sequence of what happened at the end of Series 2 (?) was deliberately in the wrong order, keep meaning to try and find an explanation which stitches it all back into the right oder (someone on Youtube must have done one).

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ll second Dark. Really enjoyed the first 2 series, but then it just went up its own backside trying to be clever for the sake of it.

Same for Tenet.

richmtb

I gave up on Homeland

Homeland is one of those shows that’s hard to recommend. If they had concluded Season 1 differently and then finished, it would have been one of the best seasons of TV ever. But Season 2, 3 and 4 are pretty poor before getting better from 5 onwards.

I don’t really have an issue with stuff that’s intricately plotted so long as it makes sense. What’s annoying is where stuff makes no sense or where writers just throw out previous character and plot development because they need something to happen.

GoT is a good example. Lots of well written intricate plots to establish characters, locations, rivalries etc and it all basically gets flung under the bus in the final season and the main characters just start doing mad things to service the need for a final spectacle.

woody2000

Came to say dark, and agree with scienceofficer, last series went off the scale complicated for no good reason.  Pretty grim viewing at times tbh!

P-Jay
    Free Member

The Matrix 2 and 3 were either massively complex or woefully incoherent, I’d bet it’s the latter. They’re also terrible.

Haven’t seen 4 yet.

mjsmke

Game of Thrones. Seems simple at first but there were so many side plots that all linked together.

BoardinBob

Mullholland Drive and/or Inland Empire

Anyone that struggles with the likes of Dune, The Prestige or Memento will likely have an aneurysm watching those two

DrJ

Any of Terence Malick’s more recent films have plots that are not so much complicated as non-existent. But I still love them.

Inception was impossoble to understand, even after watching the whole thing.

Westworld – forget it!!

teaandbiscuit
    Free Member

I was watching something recently where, with a couple of episodes left, I couldn’t imagine how they were going to tie up all the remaining loose ends.

In the end, they didn’t even try – they just left it as a massive set-up to a future, unmade season. So frustrating!

chakaping
    Free Member

Mullholland Drive and/or Inland Empire

Anyone that struggles with the likes of Dune, The Prestige or Memento will likely have an aneurysm watching those two

Accurate. Mulholland Drive was waaaaay over my head.

I nearly mentioned the new Twin Peaks, but I loved it anyway and I feel Lynch was beyond criticism on that one, to a certain extent.

IHN

I think there’s a difference between “intricately complicated”, like, say Sopranos, Wire, (early) GoT etc, where the writers craft multiple intertwining storylines and characters, and “incomprehensively complicated” like Lost, Matrix and others, where the writers just throw every and any idea in there, no matter how ridiculous. The latter like to think they’re clever, but they’re not.

haloric
    Free Member

Since its been mentioned but glossed over, I’l just leave this here.

Primer – The Smartest Time Travel Film Ever Made

(dark also similarly good).

thols2

the writers just throw every and any idea in there, no matter how ridiculous. The latter like to think they’re clever, but they’re not.

The other annoying thing is deliberately deceiving the audience. Obviously, they need to not reveal everything at the start or there would be no surprise at the end, but being deliberately deceptive isn’t clever. I liked Westworld overall, but a lot of it rested on deliberately deceiving the audience. I’m sure there a plenty of other examples, I just can’t think of them off the top of my head.

chamley
    Free Member

One of my favourite films is Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy but it definitely doesn’t reward you for staring at your phone!

From the Mulholland Drive school of “what the hell was that about” is Synecdoche, New York. I thought I had a handle on what was happening but then I read a very lengthy explainer and found there was so much hidden meaning an symbolsm throughout that I’d completely misunderstood. Definitely worth repeat viewings to catch everything.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Most complicated TV or movie plot?’ is closed to new replies.