Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Most bikes you've had in a year?
  • sandwicheater

I know some of you are serial bike changers.

What’s the most you’ve swapped/broken/replaced your main bike in a year.

I’m not counting the BMX you purchased on the side or the fixie/fat bike, they are additional steeds. This is your main, go to bike.

I had a run of bad luck and some itches to scratch so 3 for me.

EDIT: I like shortcuts summary, gives me an idea if this is a regular thing. Let’s say your most changes in a year and a summary of the last three years. Only 1 bike change for me the previous two years.

shortcut

Additional bikes/frames with potentially some losses.
    This year. 1 so far.
    Last year. 2
    Previous year. 2

woody2000

2, but they were insurance replacements for bikes I’d had nicked so that probably doesn’t count 😉

scotroutes

I don’t have a “main” bike so can’t really answer your question. I bought two frames last year and I did buy two bikes one year I was working in a bike shop.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve never replaced a bike for one purpose more than twice in a year, and that was only because I had a crack on a frame, replaced it with a new (different) frame, the back end fell off that one completely, and I then bought another frame and ebayed the warranty replacement on the intermediate frame.

Sooo, other than that, 1 change is the max on any particular style of bike. I think I might’ve occasionally, say, bought a commuter or road bike in the same year as a mountain bike. In fact I bought a full sus and my first road bike and my first hack bike (£5 IIRC) in my first year of uni, and I had my (up until then) only MTB replaced by the insurance as it was stolen just before I started uni.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

4 in the last 12 months, only one new, one recovered from a skip, one I picked up for peanuts because it was in a right old state and the other the last one was technically secondhand but was cosmetically shite so paid a fraction of its new cost. Adding it all up for a fat bike, 29er, carbon roadie and a 1980’s Raleigh cost me £555. That’s a win in my book and a fraction of most folks pay for one.

core

Swapped my genesis core frame for a soul last spring, then for a newer soul in the autumn, just to futureproof, 31.6mm seat tube, tapered headtube.

During that time I also built a scandal, built & sold a genesis io ss hack, and just before xmas bought an old cx bike. Oh, and sold an old inbred frame too.

So technically I owned 7 different frames last year, but only 4rideable bikes, and never more than 3 at once.

tomhoward

Currently have 7, which is the most I’ve ever had but there’s only been 1 addition in the last 18months. 2014 was my big year with 4 additions, that I still have

metalheart
    Free Member

I bought an orange Solaris frame and built it up with new forks, wheelset and some secondhand stuff and what I had, er, lying around and rode it, oh, four times then sold the frame (and a couple other bits) to my mate. You know, just to try the 29er thing… In fact I bought the rest of my mates bike on his behalf and built it up for him.

I then bought a Rocket frameset, and built that up with a mixture of new and old bits (and bobs).

I then bought a green Solaris frame 😀 and built that up with a new XT transmission and the ‘spare’ bits left from the orange one…

ETA : that’s on top of the pre-existing Soul and Giant TCR C2…

That was 4 years ago now but pretty sure that would be the most in one year.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

When the new steed arrives 3 in under 12 months..

100mphplus
    Free Member

4 bikes, (5 if you include a replacement warranty frame), so far this year and the 2017 race bike will probably arrive before Christmas.

Northwind

Depends on which is my main bike. My full suss is my best bike, it went through 3 in a year just because I wanted to retire my old bike, and I couldn’t find the new bike I wanted at the time. That was to replace my Hemlock which I’d had for 5 years so the average is good.

Hardtail I think I was up at about 5- went Mmmbop (wrong size), BFe (didn’t like it), Mmmbop (faulty), Mmmbop, C456. Then replaced that about 9 months later with a Ragley Ti, which hung around.

iain65
    Free Member

Oh dear, I won’t come out of this well, changed/added 5 bikes last year for myself (Road-race bike, road winter bike, HT, short travel FS and long travel FS) plus changed two bikes for my wife (HT and FS) and my son outgrew his hardtail necessitating a change to a new FS.

That makes 8 in total, I think that makes me the loser or most in debt!

stewartc
    Free Member

In the last 12 months…..

July 2015: 1 bike only, a Pivot Mach6
    October 2015: Added a Stanton Switchback
    December 2015: Swapped most of the Mach6 bits (sold the frame and forks) onto a Liteville 601 frame plus new 180mm Lyrics
    February 2016: Sold the Stanton frame and put the bits onto a new Yeti SB5c frame
    Also replaced both the wheelsets on both remaining bikes in the last 3 months.
    Just put a new shock on the SB5c (Fox X2) and will maybe also get new Fox 34 forks for it next week to replace the original 3 years old Pikes.

I try to stick to black bikes so the wife doesn’t notice.
    Living in HK I am kind of limited to space so 2 bikes is manageable, god help me if I also experiment with the dark side.

andytherocketeer

rarely change the main bike since I don’t really have a main bike, just a shedful of bikes.
    1989 demoted Peugeot 10speed and replaced with a Ridgeback 14speed as main road bike
    2007 demoted Scott hardtail so Cotic Soul would be new main hardtail
    1996 and 2010 were additional bikes.
    2016 will probably be an additional bike.

really ought to offload those demoted bikes to make way for an N+1.
    I’ve never sold a bike ever.

fifeandy
    Free Member

2010-2016, 7 bikes, average of 1/yr, maximum 2/yr.
    1 given away, 1 on a semi-permanent loan, 5 in regular use.

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

4 new bikes since March, but that’s not typical for me. Have also sold 3 in that time, so not as bad as it sounds!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve had 8 bikes since 1990 & I’ve still got 1 of them.
    I guess that doesn’t count. 😕

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Most bikes you've had in a year?’ is closed to new replies.