Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Most accessible mountain summit, with a bike.
  • ton

in the uk which mountain summit is most accessible to reach with a bike.

a list of a few would be nice.

iDave
    Free Member

with a bike or, using bike?

snowdown train?

ton

using a heavy electric bike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jordie
    Free Member

Mt Keen you could almost make it up with a car ( I think? )

jonjones262
    Free Member

Whack your bike in the frontera and head up snowdon, easy!

redthunder
    Free Member

Helvellyn

midlifecrashes

Is it Cross Fell or one of it’s neighbours with big aerials and stuff on it, decent access road you could use. Got it now, Great Dun Fell. Big radar domes on the summit.

geoffj

They got a model t up Ben Nevis.

irc

The one on the left at the Glen Shee ski slopes?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

+1 for Mt Keen – not certain it’s electric bikeable. There is lots of low level wildernessy scenic riding around Aviemore, Rothiemurchus that would be elecric bikeable.

rickmeister

Ton, Mount Keen, via Victoria Well and the house of Mark. 4WD track a good amount of the way with some steep bits, then well made path for the remainder. Electric wheelie over the water bars and a short, flattish stagger to the summit….

Cammer
    Free Member

Skiddaw?

Seen people getting ferried up there on a small motorised buggy

ton

cheers for the idea’s all.

druidh
    Free Member

Mullach Clach a’Bhlair might be a possibility. I don’t know how well the leccy bike handles climbs but the landy track that folk use for the Carn Ban Mor ascent carries on almost to the summit.

Carn a’Chlamain might be a possibility.

Some of the Glen Shee hills, or even something at the Lecht?

Morrone/Morven near Braemar.

Ben Rinnes

Corryhabbie Hill

(all just suggestions – need some confirmation 🙂 )

There will be lots of lesser summits in places like the Lammermuirs. What are your minimum qualifying criteria?

fairhurst
    Free Member

Gisburn is easy if you should so would wish to park at the highest point of this remarkable place.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Cadair wouldn’t be bad Tony … well all except the last 100 yards.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Morrone/Morven near Braemar.

Good call, there is a LRT to the masts at the top.

druidh
    Free Member

And a nice ride in to Glen Derry to make more of a weekend/day of it…

amodicumofgnar

Great Dun Fell – tarmac all the way to the top and stunning views.

If you want other long ish wild trips on rough tarmac – Newbiggin (Upper Teesdale) to Westgate (Weardale).

Garrigill to Moorhouse – gets you to around 600m. Wild but valley bottom.

Waskerly Way in Weardale – moor top riding.

Sorry Ton, other than Hora’s post elsewhere saying you cant ride a bike at the moment I dont know how much riding you can or cant do. If you can do a bit and havent thought of this – how about the C2C?

druidh
    Free Member

IIRC the definition of “Mountain” in the UK is land over 600 metres. 🙂

ton

no specific criteria really, just has to be a half decent track up, cos i will need to stay on the bike.
    i cant carry or push uphill, but a nice rocky downhill would be ace.

keep the idea’s coming and a plan will be hatched, and if anyone fancy lending a helping hand, just incase i cant ride all the way up, you are more than welcome to join me for the day.

druidh
    Free Member

I can foresee a “Ton to the Top” weekend coming up 🙂

ton

i do hope so mate, it would be fantastic… 8)

brant
    Free Member

Surely some sort of folding/disassembled bike on the Snowdon mountain railway. And then spanners and fun back down.

AlasdairMc

The Cairnwell has a chairlift to the top and what they describe as a DH track back down.

cuckoo
    Free Member

Glas Tulaichean

druidh
    Free Member

I thought about that one but can’t quite recall the initial bit of the climb from the end of the old railway line.

mrh86

I’m sure one of the guys that I ride with now and again was allowed to take his bike on the railway up snowdon as he wasnt going to be able to walk it (ankle problems)

amodicumofgnar

Another from the radar dome list – not been up either but there is a road to the top – Lowther Hill and Green Lowther just south of Wanlockhead. Handy for the M74.

piffpaffpoff
    Free Member

I was up Glas Tulaichen on foot last weekend. The initial climb after the end of the railway line is fairly steep but its all on good track. Levels off onto a gentle uphill after that with a short steeper bit just before the summit.

druidh
    Free Member

My memory is better than I thought then. Must be 15-20 years since I was up there.

tracknicko
    Free Member

IoM. Hundreds of bikes up the mountain each week.

Even a special heavy electric class too!!

Sanny
    Free Member

Hello

Ok. Here goes.

Carn a Chlamain is pretty steep and loose in places. It’s a Land Rover track up but a couple of sections are steep. Descent would be either the same as the way up or the tech drovers path.

It’s not a summit but the climb up the Burma Road in Aviemore is steady away with a lovely singletrack descent off it back into Alcie Estate.

Carn Ban Mor is good but has a couple if stream crossings to get to the start.

Glas Tulachan is a track to the summit but again has stream crossings.

Morrone by Braemar is a really good call.

Helvellyn involves a carry at the top.

I suspect that if you have helpers, things will become more manageable.

ton

fantastic response everyone, looks like i could be having a weeks road trip round scotland, doing some peak bagging.

been up carn ban mor in the past, also been up helvellyn, but i am prepared to give some of the others a go.
    got a new electric bike coming, which will be a lot more offroad capable than my kalkhoff.
    i know its cheating, but better than nothing….. 8)

druidh
    Free Member

A weekend in Braemar would be a possibility. There’s the Morrone route, a nice bit of track into Glen Derry and another one into and around Loch Muick.

I guess you’d have to make sure you could recharge it between rides? What is the capacity/duration like?

ton

the range is 25 miles, but it has a load more torque than the kalkhoff, which has a range of of over 100k.
    i managed a 55 mile ride on the kalkhoff, but i thought 25 miles offroad would have to be suffice.
    non of the electric bike makers do a bike that gives a long range and a lot of torque, it is one or the other.

iainc

I’d 2nd Sanny’s Burma road one – fireroad all the way up (they filmed some of Monarch of the Glen at the top – wedding scene) and then miles and miles of fun to Carrbridge – one of my fave rides

druidh
    Free Member

I take it that’s 25 miles of reasonable power output, so maybe less up a big hill but you’d not need it on the descent? That would leave quite a few options!

Another one for the melting pot – Ben Wyvis. Anyone care to comment?

ElShalimo

ton – a bit closer to home for you is The Calf in the Howgills. Bridleways approach from the north but might need a little pushing/help (e.g. cheeky ridge line track above Bowderdale) then a great downhill to Sedbergh via the SW to Arant Haw and Winder down to tea. cake and real ale!!
    Maybe use it as a test for the bigger hills further north??

ampthill

To Peaks experts

Clough farm to the Roman road at Hope cross.

Roman Road then cheeky detour up win hill?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Most accessible mountain summit, with a bike.’ is closed to new replies.