Mosquito versus B17 – what's best?

Home Forum Chat Forum Mosquito versus B17 – what's best?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Mosquito versus B17 – what's best?
  • pondo

Not sure Berlin was at the limit; the (Mosquito-equipped) Light Night Striking Force of No. 8 Group bombed Berlin with an average of 60 aircraft/night for 36 nights in a row which suggests that it was well within combat range from East Anglia.

Hmm, maybe not, then! I’ll look it up tonight. 🙂

londonerinoz

My grandfather flew them reconnaissance too. No guns, mental! I don’t know if he did other mission types such as the marking though.

Deveron53

You get a chance to sit in some planes and turrets. How those that served coped with sitting in a turret for hours during a flight I’ve no idea – its as cooped up as you can get and that of course is the start of your issues…

I went to the Coventry air museum and got inside the Vulcan. The pilot and co-pilot on the top deck got ejector seats. The poor bu33ers on the lower deck had to bail out through the tiny hatch…

Deveron53

On the question of altitude. B17 service ceiling was 35,600 ft, Mossie was 37,000. Mossie B XVI had a pressurised cockpit.

hammyuk

BBC1 now, South today. Article on the 22,000 Earthquake Bomb
    And testing in the New Forest

mrmonkfinger

OP, B17 vs Mosquito? Chalk and cheese.

But by comparison, the Mosquito cost about 50 pence to make, only needed two crew, and was hugely effective. No chance I’d say B17 out of those two if I had to vote! Mosquito had to be one of the (if not the) first aircraft which could be considered a tactical strike fighter.

Don’t know if anyone’s mentioned it yet, but C4 had a really good hour long special on the Mosquito last year.

linky

wiilt

My grandad flew Mosquitos and was a pathfinder in 617 squadron. He still has all his log books and bits. He’s still with it and every time I see him I always ask him about his missions and the stories are fascinating. He was telling me if you got caught in the German night lights you got shot to bits and the only way out was to dive blind into the light and guess when you were nearing the bottom as you couldn’t see a thing then pull out and get away as fast as you could. It sounds terrifying.

Premier Icon andyfla
    Subscriber

Apparently the lack of flying ones is the fact that no-one is quite sure what has happened to the ply bodywork over the last 70 years, but there is guy (in america, i believe) who has just had made up the jigs/molds to make more body parts – so hopefully we should have some flying in the next few years.
    This comes from a neighbor who is part of the team who have a working spitfire to play with !

wobbliscott

Just cause the Mossie could reach a service ceiling of 37,000 ft doesn’t mean to say it would have been any good at operating at that altitude. The design of an aircraft intended to cruise and spend most of its time at high altitude is very different from one that is designed for more low level flying. The B17 for sure would have been specifically designed to operate at those altitudes with a heavy bomb load, the Mossie might not have so would not be very efficient, so operating the Mossie as a high altitude bomber might not have been possible despite the headline altitude capability.

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago
    Subscriber

Mosquito had to be one of the (if not the) first aircraft which could be considered a tactical strike fighter.

Yes, but it was also used for a variety of other roles, up to and including strategic bombing.

pondo

ratherbeintobago –
    Not sure Berlin was at the limit; the (Mosquito-equipped) Light Night Striking Force of No. 8 Group bombed Berlin with an average of 60 aircraft/night for 36 nights in a row which suggests that it was well within combat range from East Anglia.

Spot on, chap – it was Munich. I was wrong about the overload tanks, they couldn’t get them – all four got back, and none of them had more than fifteen minute’s fuel left…

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Mosquito versus B17 – what's best?’ is closed to new replies.