Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)
  • Morzine summer 22, meetups and rides.
  • weeksy

As suggested, if anyone is heading to Portes du soleil area then post up if you want to meet fellow forum friends.

I’ve met loads over the years. I’ll be meeting Stoner for beer and rides this year.
    3-10 August for us, staying in Morzine.

big_scot_nanny

We’re there with a rag tag crew this weekend, not officially in PPDS, but partaking of as much trails and fun as possible from Friday-Wednesday. Huge fat man on a Pole (Hiya) and mix of rad teenagers and middle aged farts. If you fancy a ride and a pint, let me know 🙂

Sorry to miss the August meetup, have fun!

phil56

I’m in Les Gets now, been here since Monday. It’s been dry and dusty up to now – but just had a downpour and thunderstorm to make things ‘interesting’ heading into the weekend!

big_scot_nanny

😆😬

Gawd, hope it doesn’t reach quagmire levels we experienced in 2013! Everything, and i mean everything we wore/rode was absolutely **** after that weekend. 🤣

razorrazoo

I’ll be there 1-5 July.  Staying at Le Tremplin so right next to the Pleney lift.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

16-27 July for us, staying in town. First time !

prezet
    Free Member

16th July too. Also staying central Morzine. 5 minutes from the lifts! We missed last year because of covid so I’d so bloody excited to get back out there.

matt_outandabout

If you see metallic blue SWB transit with orange fluffy dice hanging from mirror, that’s eldest_oab. Likely there or there abouts the 7-9th July, then up the road for the rest of the summer…

sharkattack

No plans for me but I could go there any time in July or August. If anyone wants to chip in for diesel and tolls from Sheffield let me know!

Fat-boy-fat

6th to the 13th in Morzine with the Mrs (her first time and she’s not a biker). Absolutely up for meeting for biking and beers if anyone can put up with a large middle aged mincer. I’m planning on doing a half day at least with rideability hoping that Jon can scout out some “downcountry” (glad there’s an official term for it now) for me and happy to share with like minded folks.

I’ll be the fella on the highly off trend 8 year old Bronson (with rad oil slick grips).

mrmoofo

Razorrazoo

You will be with me then !
    Expect we are coming back a day earlier (I think)

razorrazoo

Razorrazoo

You will be with me then !
    Expect we are coming back a day earlier (I think)

Yes, I’m flying though so will get 1/2 day Friday and most of a day Tuesday (when you’ll be on the road).

wheelsonfire1

Perhaps consider helping out?
    STW COMMUNITY – HELP NEEDED

igm

We’ll be out in Les Gets at the end of the season by which time some of the braking bumps will be appearing as new geological features on the maps.

Not the week of that wee bicycle race they’re having.

Sui
    Free Member

On my way down to Chatel this Friday (in the standby car) – not planned to do PPDS, but we may jump in.. @phil56 – keep the weather updates coming 😉

weeksy

For the people who are going and sooner than Aug, keep us posted on where you go, what you ride, what you like, what you don’t etc.

I’m still slightly torn on some of our days/plans, we’ve got day 1 mapped out with Pleny then Les Gets…. but that’s about it… another day will be up the Super Morzine on Tutti Frutti/Cap Canaveral etc….

But sharing knowledge on Chatel etc would be awesome.

Sui
    Free Member

will share the routes we do – we’ve got some proper nerdy route planners, but 1 day we’ve planned to do a Verbier trip!!

Rivett
    Free Member

Razorrazoo

Will be interested to hear how you get on staying at the Tremplin. We’re due to stay there later in the summer.

sharkattack

@weeksy have you been before? I think when you realise how small an area Les Gets/Morzine is and how easy it is to get around you might realise you don’t need an itinerary. i.e. you don’t need to dedicate a whole day to Pleney or Super Morzine, you can easily have a full session on both in a day. Moving around helps you avoid the crowds and the biggest lift queues are always on the Super Morzine and Zor.

The only trip that needs a bit of planning is Chatel and Morgin. If you’re taking a car I’d drive there. Either way takes about an hour. It’s still well connected but it’s a long way from base if anything goes wrong.

And remember, every time you hear thunder, the lifts are off. Getting stranded is a ball ache.

Sui
    Free Member

Tremplin is a very busy lively place to be..

weeksy

have you been before? I think when you realise how small an area Les Gets/Morzine is and how easy it is to get around you might realise you don’t need an itinerary. i.e. you don’t need to dedicate a whole day to Pleney or Super Morzine, you can easily have a full session on both in a day. Moving around helps you avoid the crowds and the biggest lift queues are always on the Super Morzine and Zor.

The only trip that needs a bit of planning is Chatel and Morgin. If you’re taking a car I’d drive there. Either way takes about an hour. It’s still well connected but it’s a long way from base if anything goes wrong.

And remember, every time you hear thunder, the lifts are off. Getting stranded is a ball ache.

multiple times yes, usually 3-4 days but sometimes 1. So while i’ve got a decent feel for the place, i’ve not really done the all-day exploring thing with the small lads before. They’re quite up for riding all day every day. So need to think of way/places to keep them occupied. Myself and the other dad going we’ll happily ride, but we’d also do a nice chill at the bottom of the hill in Les Gets while they play on the red down to the lift there…

So really thinking of how we can keep both the olds and the youngs happy is slightly challenging. They’ll ride anything and everything from blue to black, we’ll draw the line at reds for the oldies.

stevedoc
    Free Member

I will be out there from the 1 July and like most will do the usual stuff. A trip to Samoens is on the cards as its a lot more natural. Also debating a Les Haunt forts scare for a brave day.

razorrazoo

For the people who are going and sooner than Aug, keep us posted on where you go, what you ride, what you like, what you don’t etc.

Pretty sure we’ll do a traverse over to ride the Swiss National track as the group I’m with like that.  Requires some route planning but is a good day away from the usual Pleney/Les Gets/SM areas.

Razorrazoo

Will be interested to hear how you get on staying at the Tremplin. We’re due to stay there later in the summer.

Stayed there last time (2019 – Pre-Covid).  I’d describe it as standard ski hotel fayre, perfectly OK if small rooms. Nice staff, bike wash and garage, decent breakfast, great location.  Will try to remember to give an update on return this time around.

sharkattack

Does anyone know if there’s a cheap way to visit Pila? It’s totally worth riding for at least a day but that tunnel is bloody expensive!

A return coach trip for bikers would be great.

igm

Weeksy – if in Les Gets do Les Écureuils, the green down the Chavannes.

Is it difficult? Not at all, not even challenging, but on a hot sunny day, particularly in the morning, it’s fantastic wandering down some chilled singletrack under baking pine trees with that smell of resin in the air.

They added more singletrack to it during lockdown too.

PS – also all the more challenging stuff, though everything up to red can be ridden with a toddler on the bike with you, but don’t dismiss that green.

weeksy

A trip to Samoens is on the cards as its a lot more natural.

Just been watching some vids… That looks quite FoD ish…. and i mean that in a very good way.

euain

We’re there 2nd-9th (riding 3-8th) – great to say hi if there are folks over there.

There’s a few of us over but cycling 2 adults and 3 youngsters 12-14 who will be doing their best (and probably managing) to leave the adults in the dust. Realistically, kids are happy on most stuff we hit in the UK – Fort William, Golfie, Innerleithen, Aberdeenshire gnarr but I’ve no idea how that translates into trails in Morzine.

Staying near Pleney lift I believe – but I’ve never been there before so don’t know exactly where.

sharkattack

Realistically, kids are happy on most stuff we hit in the UK – Fort William, Golfie, Innerleithen, Aberdeenshire gnarr but I’ve no idea how that translates into trails in Morzine.

They’ll probably find everything perfectly manageable, but much, much longer and hopefully much warmer and dustier.

Staying near Pleney lift I believe – but I’ve never been there before so don’t know exactly where.

Hope you like nightlife!

ayjaydoubleyou

They’ll ride anything and everything from blue to black, we’ll draw the line at reds for the oldies.

not sure how far you have explored before, but the colour grading across the PdS is… interesting.

the Mont Cheri black is easier than any Chatel top half reds

morgins seems to have been built as a red and black only park, and when they got told to put easier trails in they just changed the signs. Blue and green there are harder than the Zore reds.

Pleney – I know the red has had some work recently, previously it was harder than the black. Probably still is in the wet (steep chutes of roots).

And of course, the swiss national. Red on the french map, Black on the swiss map.

2tyred

True dat – last time there with the family we were over at Chatel when a mighty storm rolled in – only time I’ve ever seen the lifties look worried as they shoved everyone who needed to get back to Morzine onto the chair and sent it off on Evacuation Mode.

Brutal family trek back through the Lindarets bowl in a freezing monsoon, left them up at Avoriaz and headed down the mudslide under the SuperM to fetch the car taught me to pay closer attention to the weather forecast and not be lulled into a false sense of security by morning sunshine!

We’re out there week after next, quite excited. Been a while!

weeksy

Pleney – I know the red has had some work recently, previously it was harder than the black. Probably still is in the wet (steep chutes of roots).

I noticed that watching Pleny trails yesterday because on our arrival day we’ll only get 1-2 runs until they close up… So was checking out the Red and Black and thought, “black looks easier”

Wasn’t sure how big the drop is on the Red.

ayjaydoubleyou

There’s (from 2 year old memory, dont sue me) obvious chicken runs for anything non rollable on the pleney red and black.

That was part of the fun of the black for me was trying to do something new every lap. The lift is so fast and efficient it was better just to do full runs rather than mess about sessioning.

sharkattack

Last time I was on the Pleney it was starting to get hard to follow the ‘main line’. There’s so many shortcuts, chicken runs, crazy off-piste bits. It’s hard to know which bit of dirt to commit to until you know your way around.

When I first went it was like a motorway from top to bottom.

Never really ridden the red run. It was always a bit of an unfinished mess. Recent videos look a bit better.

tuboflard

A trip to Samoens is on the cards as its a lot more natural.

Just been watching some vids… That looks quite FoD ish…. and i mean that in a very good way.

Just don’t make the mistake I did and book in to a hotel in Samoens only to find the lifts opened a week later 😳. Ended up driving to Les Gets each morning instead (hardly a problem really but was looking forward to riding Samoens).

sharkattack

This is a good illustration of how the Pleney looks now…

Basically jump in the trees at any point and bomb down it.

This thread is getting me both pumped and stoked. I might just jump in the van, light up the credit card and see you all there.

lewis75
    Free Member

Samoens is definitely worth the trip over from Morzine/Les Gets. It’s way less busy and the tracks are a lot more natural and less braking bumps. I think there is a way over to Samoens from the very top of the Les Gets bike park lifts but I didn’t find it. There is a shuttle company with a trailer that does day trips to Samoens

This is a good illustration of how the Pleney looks now…

Thanks, just reminded me that I’m actually quite rubbish at riding a bike

weeksy

Thanks, just reminded me that I’m actually quite rubbish at riding a bike

I don’t think that kid is representitive of most of us 🙂

wors

Samoens is definitely worth the trip over from Morzine/Les Gets. It’s way less busy and the tracks are a lot more natural and less braking bumps. I think there is a way over to Samoens from the very top of the Les Gets bike park lifts but I didn’t find it. There is a shuttle company with a trailer that does day trips to Samoens

At the top of Les Get or La Nauchets lift take the road to the right, to the top of Col de Joux Plane, bridleway to the top of La Bourgeois. drop down to your right and there’s 2 ace runs that take you to Samoens, its a hell of a ride back up though if you haven’t shuttle vent got a shuttle!!

razorrazoo

https://www.bikemorzine.com/blog/2022-trail-tickling

Trail updates for PDS here, looking good!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.