Morzine – offpiste and long singletrack recommendations

Home Forum Bike Forum Morzine – offpiste and long singletrack recommendations

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Morzine – offpiste and long singletrack recommendations
  • Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

I did the Col De Cou last year but headed back towards Champery. It was ok. Done better riding in the highlands but it was a pretty long trail and the scenery was stunning. Nothing too technical. Only slight concern was the apparent introduction of “no bikes” signs. Quite confusing on the Swiss side as the signs are circular, with a red circle around the outside and a bike in the middle, whereas the signs on the French side are the same but with a big line through them. Big line = not allowed in my head. There is a route from the Col De Cou back to Morzine that I haven’t done but will do next month.

Lots of off piste stuff on the Pleney:

Out the gondola – head down towards the black – into the first couple of berm – over the drop/ chute – trail flattens and heads left past a building – as you get level with the building look right and you’ll see a steep off piste trail

On the Pleney black at the massive big chute – Don’t go down the chute, go down the fireroad/ chicken run – As you’re going down there dont go left at the first corner, go straight on – cross the wee stream and follow the pretty obvious trail into the trees – this was pretty insane last year in the dry

Again from the top of the pleney lift – head towards les gets – on the fireroad at the corner where the blue starts, about 10 feet further on there’s a trail on the right that’s pretty well hidden unless you were looking for it

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Komatrautrail in Chatel is also well worth checking out. Off the beaten path away from the main trails so it doesn’t get much traffic as most folk dont know it’s there. From the mid station in Chatel head down the tarmac road. The trail starts about a minute down the road. Graded red but it’s much more technical than the bermy bike park stuff. Lots of rocks, roots and drops. Feels very natural and close to what I ride at home

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuHxKr1zRS8[/video]

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

are you averse to a bit of climbing or not?

My favourite off piste route is from Col d’Encrenaz, up to Col de la Basse, ST descent to les Paquis, along Sur Lachaud and then ST descent through Les Bois Noires to Essert Rommand.

You can get to col d’Encrenaz with an XC loop from the top of the Mont Chery bubble, or pedal up from the valley bottom via la Cote d’Arbroz.

zoom into IGN Bleu (1:25k level) here http://www.walkingclub.org.uk/ign_france_maps/france.shtml and look for la Cote d’Arbroz and you’ll find col d’Encrenaz to the West.

EDIT: you will find the route marked out in the upper left quarter of the map photo I embedded in the thread jamba has linked to below.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

This thread

Les Gets/Boirgeoise – Samoens (needs taxi back) is probably a 90 min ride and 1000 meters descent

The STW Morzine out of season ride/gpx has a few good descents you can do without the pedalling up inc Col du Coux and down to Lac Montriond

kiksy

Hello,

Off to Morzine next week and been looking into finding some of the more off the beaten track trails. Ideally I’m after 2 things:

[list]
    [*]Natural, offpiste techy stuff (In the style of Le Canyon and the Black down from bottom of Super Morzine to town)
    [/*]

[*]Long – flowy or techy – top to bottom singletrack (rather than the ~5mins stuff that is most of the DH tracks)
    [/*][/list]

I’ve found the whereabouts of ‘Porridge’, which looks great, can anyone direct me to ‘Run Of The Mill’ as I think that looks good too from Youtube videos.

As for the longer stuff, I think I’ve found a route for Col Du Coux, but any other ones people can recommend? Is Tour Du Plateau any good? The only Youtube video I could find was just 3mins of someones toptube. 🙂

kiksy

are you averse to a bit of climbing or not?

Zero issues with climbing. Happy to pedal a fair way if it means getting to good stuff!

Cheers for the suggestions so far!

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

The Col du Coux route in STW issue 91 is better IMO than the one I did which involved too much gravel road descending under cliffs at Balme. Note also the Swiss Mobility app/website for free access to Swiss OS maps which you’ll need that side of the border. Col du Coux is more about views and experience than great technical riding

thegman67

Great post as I am out on the 9th and will give these trails a go on the Pleneyand Chatel as I will have the d/h bike their will be no climbing for me

wysiwyg

Porridge oats is next to run of the mill. Just starts on the left of the trees.
    What’s the one from Chatel above the goat village. Head along the blue to the car park of the cafe. Along the walkers path and brings you out at lac montriond. Techy descent once you hit the trees.

Russell’s back yard?
    Step up and step down? Kiwi track and about 10 on main pleney.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

@wysiwyg – I call that Les Roulianes after the col/name on the map. It’s on the STW Issue 91 route

Hob Nob

Is Russell’s back yard still in existence? It was covered in barbed wire years ago.

I never knew which one ROTM was, I think it was out past what used to be Hattock, further down the piste? There is a lot of stuff up the top of Super Morzine that’s all new since we’ve been there.

I would say follow your nose on off piste stuff on the Pleney, there are truck loads on there. see if you can find ATM & up your bum too.

No idea if it still exists but I used to enjoy tennis courts too for some tech too. There also used to be a brutal descent down from Avoriaz back into the valley. That was nuts.

If you’re off travelling I would go & find drum & bass in champery too.

kiksy

Any clues to location of this? Google search only shows a few Strava segments in the UK and a thread on here where you mention it! 😀

kiksy

The Col du Coux route in STW issue 91 is better

Anyone kind enough to share this route? Even if it’s just the start and end so I can work it out. Most of the gpx stuff I’ve found online has started or ended miles away from Morzine

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Is it not worth a few quid for back issue access ? It’s like saying buy me a pint and I’ll send you tye gpx

The start is obvious from the name 😉 Its the link from the Arrete over to some singletrack which was part of an XC championship course which is the value added part

wysiwyg

Avoriaz to Village was Russells Back Yard. I rode it 3 years ago. Didn’t look ridden.

Again tennis court is frowned upon but still rideable. Was washed out well

kiksy

Is it not worth a few quid for back issue access ? It’s like saying buy me a pint and I’ll send you tye gpx

Yep! Didn’t realise I could buy it instantly online 😳

kiksy

Hmmm, can I just buy a digital copy of this issue without subscribing?

http://singletrackworld.com/shop/product/issue-91/

Says out of stock and when I click on the pdf I get redirected to

Account

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Sorry I thought you could, maybe its just hardcopy. Ask the powers that be.

As an aside you have no contact details in your profile

Premier Icon craig5
    Subscriber

Where are the gpx downloads on the site? Im a full subscriber so should have access.

alexxx

Porridge, Hattock, ROTM ect… whatever tracks you know down there that are not marked trails then forget it. I used to live there and as far as I’m aware from what my mates still there are saying is that they are properly off bounds now and enforced.

Zigzag maybe ok which is to the far far right of all that stuff and whilst the top sections fairly mellow and fun the bottom section alongside the river can be fruity if ridden with pace.

There are a lot of gems on the Pleney side more of which im sure you’ll find with strava.

If I was to suggest a run thats long and technical with no bother just go and do the champery dh track.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Enforced how ?

@craig I am too

wysiwyg

Barb wire at the bottom last time.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

So a bit like a footpath without the style then 😉

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber
    alexxx

Go on facebook and find “Morzine Crew” fb page – ask your questions on there about the status of Super M’s tracks.

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

Bookmarking for later

kiksy

Porridge, Hattock, ROTM ect… whatever tracks you know down there that are not marked trails then forget it

Based on Strava people have been riding it up to a few days ago.

kiksy

That said….

https://www.facebook.com/groups/morzinecrew/permalink/997603820279545/

😯

Probably give Porridge a miss then.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

OP if you are struggling I can send you a map if you send me an email. You can ride both ways from Col du Coux – push up to peak amd ride Arrete Berois to Switzerland or down the French side and back to Morzine (a climb on the STW ride as thats designed for when the lifts are shut)

inchhighj

From Avoriaz/Linderet Col de Bassachaux singletrack is pretty nice then head down into the gates of hell towards Ardent/Montriond for a well spicy natural descent that is like Ciarin path only steep as shit. This can be looped in 2 hour eesh no problem from Morzine. Im hoping to find lots more this year done all the usual suspects off Super and Pleney but hoping to hit more from Avoriaz and Chatel this year heard many good things!

inchhighj

Kiksy……..

This has ruined my holiday im and not even there yet, that shit sucks, probably the most enjoyable thing about Super side was all the ‘illegal’ tracks…..so now as stated the only route down is under the bubble

leth

I’d like to know where this is to.
    I’ve been told its a hiking trail, but on one I know is able to confirm this.
    If this is the case then I may know where too look.
    helps always appreciated.

Hob Nob

Easiest way to spot it is from the lift (Planachaux) – it starts near the only chalet on the mountain with the ref tile roof.

I usually rode it by riding the top section of the Champery WC track until you hit the fire road about half way down. Do a left along there for a while, eventually you will reach a big grassy meadow with the aforementioned house on it. Trail is there on the right.

There has been a few videos of it recently – I recognise some sections from the Scott/Shaperideshoot videos.

leth

Thanks, that’s roughly where I thought it was.
    I worked out it was to the left of the WC track and rightly or wrongly finished on the Sur cou road.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Just to close the loop, post here for posterity below is a screen shot from the excellent Switzerland Mobility website (and app) which shows the basic Col du Coux (swiss side) ride. Its the highlighted walking path along Arrete Berries and Croix d’Increne turning North down to Planafrache. When we did it we went South to Barme which is mostly rubbish and gravel roads after the first part 🙁

crotchrocket

Word on the street (I got back from M yesterday) col du cou is shut – lots of trees down from the recent storms.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

^^^ interesting. The ride in is open and above the trees, the descent down the French side has no trees for ages and you can avoid the woods, the Swiss side as you can see from the map has no trees till off the arrete

crotchrocket

Hmmm, odd that the lift guy would warn us off it asa wasted trip… but then gave us a heads up on a different loop. Oh well, I guess the OP can report back on his return.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

^^^ he could be right of course, the path on Swiss side could be shut from the tree line and its the Swiss side thats usually ridden

French side here, you could pick a route with few / no trees and pickup the road

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Morzine – offpiste and long singletrack recommendations’ is closed to new replies.