Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Morzine Off Piste
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

Off to Morzine for the World Cup followed by a week of riding. Been a couple of times before but never ridden much off piste stuff.

I’ve had a look through a few old threads on here and found a decent looking Col Du Cou gpx route along with a fair amount of useful info, thanks to all who shared their knowledge on there.

However the threads are all a couple to a few years old, was wondering if anyone had since found any great off piste routes/trails etc, any advice welcomed! I’ve heard mention of a track called Monkeys’s Arse which sounds pretty awesome but I can’t figure out exactly where it is, or if it still exists, anyone here ridden it recently?

I’ve always found myself a bit bored of DH runs by the end of 8 days so would be good to ride something different. Only so many times you can ride Champery DH before your arms explode 🙂

mashr

Do you mean unmarked DH or exploring further afield? If it’s the former there are bucketloads of options even just on the Pleney, loads can be found just by following your nose (be prepared for ****ing steep). Interesting to see they don’t show at all on Trailforks

kayak23

You been to Morgins yes?

There used to be some ace off-piste off the Pleney, but I’ve not been for a few years so am way out of touch.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

What do you mean by off piste? More unmarked single track stuff or DH runs? As above, you can ride the Pleney all day and never ride the same track twice.

Some of which are as steep & harder than Champery IMO as they are scratched in lines so no big support berms.

More in line with the original Champery track.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Yep I’ve found some off piste DH in Pleney, and yes effing steep is what you get! Been to Morgins and pretty much all the bikeparks you can reach from Morzine, was after some more ‘far afield’ stuff, or any DH stuff hidden elsewhere, found some bits under the Chevanne in Les Gets but it was so unridden it was almost unrideable

Very interested in the Monkey’s Arse trail though, is that part of the Col du Cou route back to Morzine, by the Ardent waterfall or something?

mashr

found some bits under the Chevanne in Les Gets but it was so unridden it was almost unrideable

Ah the old Panozzo track! That used to be brilliant but was totally ****ed when I was last there, and that was a good few years ago sadly

SirHC

-First left hand track of chavvanes is horrendous, avoid!
    -Second left is running well and its lower variants
    -Third right (off the berm after the tabletop) is good as well
    -Top of Canyon is knackered after they’ve felled a load of trees
    -Didn’t get chance to see how the golf tracks were running

Tennis courts is open, bottom is a bit greasy as it doesnt get ridden

kiksy
    Free Member

Col Du Cou is excellent, did it off the back of the threads here. Its not really “DH” though in the same way some of the offpiste Pleney is. There is a bit of exposure though.

As for more offpiste DH stuff, the best way is to keep an eye out on the lifts up for little entrances, or ask some locals. We found a great offpiste route all the way back from Les Gets to Morzine just by riding off into the woods off the main piste down. Not sure of its name.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Bucket loads of off piste on Super M too.

Take the retour route back rather than the original Super M track under the lower lift & as you spin down the fire road you will see a load of trails diving off it.

mashr

Have you done the runs that start from the golf course on Chavannes? Not very steep, but always good fun

chrishc777
    Free Member

Thanks, tell me more about the golfcourse and tennis trails!

Would also like to get to Samoens, does anyone have a GPX for the route down from Les Gets?

Not strictly looking for DH stuff, would like to do a couple of days doing proper loops, preferably gaining most of the height using lifts but I’ll have a open lid with me and I’m not on a DH bike. The guy with me on a 180mm Spindrift might see it differently though but I’ll just pedal that uphill for him if it comes to it 🙂

Pauly

Is their still a trail called “Slayer”?

SirHC

Bucket loads of off piste on Super M too.

Take the retour route back rather than the original Super M track under the lower lift & as you spin down the fire road you will see a load of trails diving off it.

Top bit has a load of trees down, lower stuff is running good, although someone has put up a load of orange barrier fence on the entrance.

NZCol

Fair amount of logging going on by Chavannes , we live in a chalet just near the exit of the track down from the golf course tunnel. Col de Cou is a nice ride esp back over through the PdS then round to above Montriond and down that track that I’m sure someone can ride but not me !!

chrishc777
    Free Member

NZCol ‘that track’ sounds perfect!

NZCol

PM me and I will send you a gpx

mashr

Golf course ones are easy to find (assuming they’ve not been felled). Head down Chavannes like you’re heading for Canyon but keep going. you’ll see the club house on the right, keep your eyes peeled to the left as you pass it and you’ll find the entrance. There are a few forks to play with off there, including one that heads back onto the road briefly before going off again.

I think I can remember the start of the Tennis Court run, but don’t think of trust my own directions

NZCol

The Golf Course runs are still there, logging is further up.
    Lot of kit arrived in town today inc Emily Batty who was out for a gentle spin and passed me , I was quite excited as I am basically a teenager. Two chaps passed me up the Joux Plane at pace, chatting as you do. Bastards.

professor_fate
    Free Member

Ridden the hiking path in the region of The Monkeys Arse a couple of times over the years and it’s good, albeit steep in spots… Always thought the path was the Arse but apparently it’s an offshoot off there – still memorable though regardless!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Tennis court is on the way to Les Gets from the top of Pleney. Follow the fire road, where it drops into the double track on the right (rather than the savage steep road climb). It pops out on the road, which you cross & follow down into Les Gets.

As you get to the point where it’s just about on the road, you will see a tall grassy area on the right, probably with a flattened trail into the undergrowth. That’s TC.

There is actually a couple of trails there now. They pop out right at the top of the road back down to Morzine from LG.

Worth noting on the aforementioned double track (and just before) you will see a load of trails peeling off the side of the hill to the right. If you’re feeling brave, and it’s been dry, go explore 🙂

mashr

and just before

Step Up Trail was in that neck of the woods iirc? Awesome riding down there

16stonepig
    Free Member

Col de Cou had big no bikes signs up when I did it last year. We rode it anyway, but very respectfully (I wasn’t going to go back home on fireroad after that climb.)

NZCol

Ooh I’m off for a loop round Col de Cou tomorrow early so will report back.

sharkattack

There’s loads of unofficial stuff in this vid

chrishc777
    Free Member

Thanks all, enough info there for some exploring!

NZCol pm incoming!

NZCol

I can report that the au gletrack descent from Col du Cou to Champery now has big No Bikes signs on it from about halfway down at the farm. They’ve put in a load of water bars as well which make parts of it decidedly sketchy. Not that I rode it of course *cough*

lowey

I can report that the au gletrack descent from Col du Cou to Champery now has big No Bikes signs on it from about halfway down at the farm. They’ve put in a load of water bars as well which make parts of it decidedly sketchy. Not that I rode it of course *cough*

Yep closed and if caught you will be fined.

Monkeys Arse has a No biking sign on it now, but not enforceable. Epic when we did it last week.

lowey

Oh and the stuff down from La Bourgeoise to Samoens is some of the finest riding around. You just need to arrange a lift back up.

daveylad
    Free Member

All well and good if you know what you are doing. My off piste on the pleny recently, near the restaurant red trail halfway down, turned from fun loam and roots to FAAAARK I’m going to die steepness.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Morzine Off Piste’ is closed to new replies.