Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Morzine / Les Gets lift opening dates, summer 17
  • acsevens

Don’t suppose anyone knows when the lifts are opening next summer? We’re trying to get a group trip organised but currently looking like the third weekend in June (16th) is the only available date for everyone.

Looks like the Morzine and Les Gets lifts opened on the 11th this year (second weekend of June) but didn’t know if that was typical?

weeksy

They usually open a few at that time, but all is usually the weekend of the Passportes as it’s sorta the opening ceremony weekend, which is the last weekend in June.

Stoner
    Free Member

Chavannes and Nauchets tend to open in Les Gets on weekends from the last weekend in May.

I produced this doc from published info last season
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rGgLbCyvJvqQO86TKGZkiYHVf3cVG58CVldwoO5HPFY/edit

The lift companies dont publish confirmed dates until quite late, but it should give you some idea.

lowey

They usually open them for the Pass’portes. Next year its the 24th to 26th June.

alexxx
    Free Member

I wouldn’t recommend June personally unless you have vehicles out there

pierrestozza
    Free Member

echoed, ppds weekend for the majority.

can i hijack the thread please…

does anybody on here know when the grand massif (samoens) lifts open in relation to this?

are they also the ppds weekend or later usually?

ive askerd the office de tourism who don’t know as they are dealing with ski season..

acsevens

thanks for the quick responses!

Do you think the more limited lift selection available would still give enough riding for 3 or 4 days?

P-Jay
    Free Member

alexxx – Member

I wouldn’t recommend June personally unless you have vehicles out there

Agreed, we went a few years ago for Passports but arrvied on the Wednesday, wasn’t a lot going on and only the Pleney lift was open, so your choices were runs of Pleney side or XC over the Les Gets and road back again, everything opened properly on the Friday.

weeksy

Getting out may be fine… .getting back may be horrific 🙂

If you went up say the SuperMorzine and then over to Lindarets and found no lift…. well… it’s not a nice pootle back.

Stoner
    Free Member

for 3-4 days yes, but as above only if you have a car. The open lifts dont link areas, they just provide for park sessioning so you have to drive (w bikes) to the bottom station and spend the day there. It would work for Les Gets, Chátel and possibly Morgins (but it’s a long drive round to Morgins)

Although in the past I have driven to Les Gets* in late May to use Chavannes to do the XC loop out the back with an uplift at the start for a less gnarly day.

Its less dependable but they sometimes open Supermorzine or Pleney “early” as well, so that would make a third area.

(* from my place in Montriond, not the UK I hasten to add)

timidwheeler

We have been to Les Gets a couple of times in late June and I would definitely recommend it; especially for a weekend.
    The trails are new and fresh, there are no lift queues, there are far fewer people on the trails and accommodation is much cheaper.
    In my opinion there is more than enough in Les Gets to occupy a weekend. Also it stays light nice and late so you can use the evenings to do an xc route once the lifts have closed. The black xc has stunning views of Mont Blonc. The town is fairly quiet but Bar Bush, the Case K2 and O’kariboo are open. Again more than enough for a weekend.

alexxx
    Free Member

From a guy that’s lived there for over 3 years and has been going for over 10.. I still say don’t bother. what about escaping the winter and going to Spain earlier?

acsevens

alexx what would put you off? is it limited choice of riding? lack of nightlife??

Much as we’d love to go in July or August its looking too difficult to fit around people’s other commitments.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Pierre Samoens has a fairly short season basically corresponding to July and August.

As per above the PPdS (last June weekend) is when the full PdS system opens with all the links with Les Gets and Morzine open a week or two before and weekends only earlier than that.

As above we have been a number of fimes mid June with the trip finishing with PPdS

OP the magazine (issue 91?) had an out of season big day out utilising only the Champery Cable car which runs for longer than other lifts, basically Morzine ride up to Col du Coux (800m climb ?) down into Champery, cable car up, another pedal up to Col PdS (given region its name) then along and down to Lac Montriond (trail called Monkeys Arse ?) and back to Morzine. Can email you some more info if you wish. Also Les Gets Samoens ride you can do with a cab back or leaving a car in Samoens.

The lifts in Metabief in the Jura open in May weekends only.

Chamonix is usually open early/mid June and more options there before bike ban in July/Aug

acsevens

cool very helpful thanks. I’ve heard from tourist info who have said that it is Crankworx on the dates we’re planning to go – any view on whether this would interfere with riding?

Jamba – I’ve seen the route in issue 91 and would be keen to give that a crack though I’m probably the only one of the group who doesn’t mind a bit of climbing! Would it be ok to attempt solo or best in a group?

Stoner
    Free Member

easy solo ride, nothing hairy to face.
    Big climb up to col du coux though!
    And it’s worth taking a good swiss map with you with your route marked. There are a few ways you can drop to the big champery lift.

BoardinBob

😕

It’s downhill all the way from Lindarets to Morzine.

alexxx
    Free Member

It’s not a lack of nightlife – well it’s not as busy as it is mid season but I’d prefer that personally.

I just think the trail variety for the lifts that are open isn’t great and unless you are very adventurous souls you probably wont get awesome trails handed to you on a plate.

I don’t know your level of riding so it’s hard to suggest what you’d want to be doing but personally I think there is no better feeling than going on big adventures when all the lifts are open as opposed to lapping the face of 1 mountain.

There are usually quite a few people kicking around who will be doing the passports weekend too so it’s not as if it’s a ghost town.

If you have a vehicle it’s a different story as theres lots more lifts you can base yourself by and go play!

Also Weeksy sounds lazy! The decent even ends at my mates pub which is great!

Stoner
    Free Member

Which pub alexxxx?

Marmotte d’Or?

weeksy

I was assuming he’d have to climb back up the mountain to get back over to Morzine.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d just go somewhere else TBH.

Italy should be lovely in June.

pierrestozza
    Free Member

Pierre Samoens has a fairly short season basically corresponding to July and August.

Doh!

Thanks jambalaya.

Rethink needed….

alexxx
    Free Member

Yep Stoner!

Stoner
    Free Member

excellent! am good friends of F & A too.
    Couldnt wish for a better better local bar, or two people running it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP not sure I would ride route in Issue 91 solo particularly in mid June as it will be deserted with few (no ?) walkers. You wouldn’t want to fall off Arete Berois or have an injury down the descent to Montriond from Les Roulaines for example. I equate biking with off-piste skiing when solo, not smart to go too far off the beaten track.

Yes imo there is more than enough riding for 3-4 days with just Les Gets and Morzine lifts and not full PdS. Mix it up with bike park and walking path trails.

alexxx
    Free Member

Yeah, nothing like the fire of an Irish girl to bring a tired old French fag counter back to life! It seems a lot of my friends are running very successful businesses around town now, maybe I should have stayed longer!

Might see you in Summer if you frequent it often, I’ll be out for 4 months from June

Stoner
    Free Member

yep, we’ll be there. Usually get 6 weeks with the whole family.
    In Marmotte most evenings from 6 for an hour chill before home for dinner.

Thursday night live music and dinners we always do. Great evenings.

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

alexxx
    Free Member

Cool – feel free to fire me an email if you want a beer or a pedal somewhere! You’ve probably seen a few of my mates bands play too.. Morzine is such a small world!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Morzine / Les Gets lift opening dates, summer 17’ is closed to new replies.