• This topic has 66 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by andeh.
Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Morzine . I'm not really getting it.
  • oldtalent
    Free Member

Ho hum p1ssimg down again. Off to buy some waterproof trousers and try Les gets this morning on the dh bike, as that seems to have the sort of runs I enjoy. Not into exploring tbh, I liked a defined start and finish!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If it’s pissing it down Les Gets will probably be worse…

STATO
    Free Member

Not into exploring tbh, I liked a defined start and finish!

Go to linderets and chattel in that case! Runs lift-top to lift-bottom. The only ‘exploring’ is riding the fire-road and track to get there from the top of Zore.

Stoner
    Free Member

OP, have you thought it might just be you?

Why waste the expense of a trip by not even making an effort to take in the whole range of riding opportunities in the PDS?

lowey

Buy the book Stoner refers to in the other thread. You can get it from Super Morzine lift station. I spent 6 days in Morzine the other week and only spent 1 day on Zore and Plenny runs. Everything else was natural XC stuff.

Get over to Les Gets, take the Mont Chery Lift, contour around to Mont Caly, then onto Col de’l Encrenaz, Climb up to Col De Basse and take an Jaw droppingly superb trail all the way into Essert-Romand.

Going all that way and sticking to bike parks and marked trails is crazy.

Why waste the expense of a trip by not even making an effort to take in the whole range of riding opportunities in the PDS?

+1. You get out what you put in. Do a bit more research.

BoardinBob

Les gets in the rain is the worst!

GET OVER TO CHATEL!!!

Gotama
    Free Member

Personally I don’t like the berm berm straight jump berm park stuff in pre la joux/linderets but if that floats your boat get over there. It’s far better than Les Gets. It’s also really not that hard to do either, it’s only a short pedal out of morzine. The stuff down to linderets is decent and then over the other side the Komatrautrail is super duper although it may be tending a little more towards the natural stuff for your taste. If you want it a bike park wales equivalent then the panoramic from the top of linderets is probably about spot on 😉

STATO
    Free Member

Get over to Les Gets, take the Mont Chery Lift

The upper lift on Mnt Chery wasn’t taking bikes when we were there a few weeks ago (post Crankworx) which was annoying as the top half of the old WC-DH track was an old favourite.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think at this point I’m with lowey and stoner, if you want defined start and end (or the illusion of it) get someone to take you round. If not its exploring you can’t go that wrong just avoid the silly stuff

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP imho DH bikes are restrictive, fun for a few trails for certain but I much prefer the exploring and getting a bit lost is what makes the day an adventure. Even the PdS tour on a DH bike is a bit of a slog

P-Jay thats why a guided holiday is such great value,maside from food/drink the guiding means you ride the best stuff.

As for terrifying yup I get that as I suffer from vertigo, can be tricky trying to manage it

antennae
    Free Member

Not sure when you’re around til OP, but the weather’s on the mend later in the week:

Have to echo the others though: the best stuff just doesn’t get handed to you. Get the map or a guide and go exploring. Follow your nose.

@P-Jay in Les Arcs – there’s an amazing amount of choice here. Besides the park you have La Rosière, La Thuile close by, Tignes up the road for more bike park-y antics, and plenty of off-piste in the valley that isn’t as death defying. If you’re here in a group of 10, you don’t have to ride with them, just do your own thing!

As for lively evenings… pretty rare in most alpine resorts in the summer. And a sausage-fest night out in Les Gets with a gaggle of lairy British monoglots isn’t exactly the dream is it? 😉

hora
    Free Member

Last time I was there the second month Chery lift was shutcso you had to push up but well worth the ridge line XC stuff along or the man made trail that’s now gathering dust that goes the trees all the way down from mont Chery.

dantsw13

As for nightlife in Les Arcs, one night we had a french hen party in our bar & the next was the Fra v Por Euro16 final, so pretty rowdy!!

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I was there last week. After arriving in torrential rain on Saturday (travel day only, no riding) it was bone dry all week. I stuck to the DH trails but there’s plenty on offer. Chatel and Swiss National DH are great fun and easily accessible and our favourite was the Chesery or Cheesy Cow trail as we referred to it.

IMHO following the PDS route is a fairly miserable experience and misses out the best bits

Here’s a typical day’s ride

Oh and Bar Robinson is no longer the place to be seen in the ‘Zine, it’s now Le Cottage at the foot of the Pleney lifts.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Ditch any notions of being able to ride pristine singletrack from the top of lifts.. if you want that stuff, you have to climb away from the lifts.

Get a guide for a day. You’ll ride a load of good stuff, and if you ask nicely, have other stuff pointed out to you as options later.

But if it’s pissing it down all week, then there’s not much to be done to avoid the slop.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Oooh I like that relive programme 🙂

Did you take the lift down at the end ?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    Oooh I like that relive programme

Did you take the lift down at the end ?

Oops! Yes we wimped out of the black run back into Morzine, rode it once, it was sh1t, didn’t want to ride it again. The blue route back was 3km of bone shaking boring fireroad, rode it once, didn’t want to ride it again.

The Relive Strava utility is indeed ace.

STATO
    Free Member

Nah! The Supermorzine Black is great fun… even if its not exactly 100% rideable 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

@MTB I haven’t ridden it in years, I recall there are a few red options (one with a mega carpet of roots which would be a no in the wet) and often we’d do something into Lac Montriond and back along the river or the PdS (non blue) way which does involve a ride up the road for a bit so not ideal at the end of the day.

lowey

The Supermorzine Black is great fun

It was an absolute toilet the other week. The rain had decimated it.

STATO
    Free Member

The rain during crankworx week destroyed it, BB deep ruts, floating roots, rivers of mud (even after a week of sun). Amazing fun! 😀

breninbeener

Super morzine black is currently a quagmiree

jamj1974

u want that stuff, you have to climb away from the lifts.

IME. This!

nigew
    Free Member

The rain during crankworx week destroyed it, BB deep ruts, floating roots, rivers of mud (even after a week of sun). Amazing fun!

+1 😆

oldtalent
    Free Member

Well that’s my week done. It was ok I suppose once the weather cleared Thursday. Covered most of the surrounding area. Did all the bike parks, had a guided ride, did some exploring, far too much uphill riding for my liking though.
    Didn’t blow me away like I was expecting. I would have had an equally enjoyable week dong a uk tour of fod uplift, bpw, revolution, stiniog and 417.

deadkenny
    Free Member

To be honest though, if you are prepared all the way to go to the Alps but just want a pure uplift bike park all in one area, then the Alps isn’t where you want to be.

Aside from BPW and DH venues in UK, I believe some of the German bike parks are more that kind of thing. Winterberg for example (I guess. I’ve never been, but looks like the sort of place).

Personally I’d say if you go to PDS and didn’t rate it, then you missed all the good stuff. I only scratched the surface and thoroughly enjoyed it. I do pedal though 😉

hora – Member
    Op get the Supermorzine lift up and ask for directions under the trees back down

Passportes did that route one year. Was a blast. Even in the mud 😀

andeh

Go ride Morgin, that is all.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Morzine . I'm not really getting it.’ is closed to new replies.