Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Morrisons – good news!
  • Premier Icon Hairychested
    Free Member

5000 new jobs to be created in the next 12 months. Good news, I think.

Premier Icon Stoner

We are truly a nation of shopkeepers. And Bankers.

Shopkeepers and Bankers 🙂

Premier Icon ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Morrison the supermarket people ?

I am never impressed when it’s announced that a supermarket chain has “created” X number of jobs.
    Supermarket never create jobs, they destroy them.

Every item of product bought by customers in a new supermarket which operates on the principle of high turnover and low labour levels, is an item of product which won’t be sold in a low turnover, high labour intensive shop.

Which of course isn’t necessarily a bad thing, if that’s what people want – and it does keep prices down.

But it’s darn right misleading when a supermarket chain claims to have “created” jobs.

Unless of course, they have found a way of making us all buy stuff which we wouldn’t otherwise be buying.

Premier Icon CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Waitrose is also making a large number of new jobs, over 3,000 IIRC. Good news.

Ernie, more shops = more people spending money = more demand for products = increased production = more jobs = more people earning = more people able to buy products from more shops = more shops = etc. etc. etc.

Good, eh?

Premier Icon Hairychested
    Free Member

Were I unemployed I’d like my local supermarket to be willing to employ me.

Premier Icon ernie_lynch
    Free Member

more shops = more people spending money = more demand for products = increased production = more jobs = more people earning = more people able to buy products from more shops = more shops = etc. etc. etc

Well if Morrison’s are ‘creating’ 5000 new jobs because all of a sudden there’s been a huge increase in the demand for toilet paper and loaves of bread then yes, it is indeed good news Captain.

However, I suspect the recent increases in supermarket sales which has been experienced by all of the big supermarket chains, has more to do with the fact that in the present economic climate, people are having to tighten their belts and instead of buying bread from bakers, meat from butchers, or toilet paper from the corner shop, they are now choosing cheaper supermarket alternatives.

I doubt very much that it’s because people are eating more or wiping their arses more often.

Which suggests that overall, supermarket expansion will lead to a reduction, not an increase in jobs in that sector.

Premier Icon Hairychested
    Free Member

They had very good results lately unlike many others.

Premier Icon ernie_lynch
    Free Member

All of the supermarket chains have had good results recently – hardly surprising really. Morrisons did best out of the “big four”. The discount stores like Aldi did even better – again hardly surprising.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/jan/22/morrisons-supermarket-sales

Premier Icon bigsi
    Free Member

Yep and one of them will be near me in Worthing. Trouble is it will be off set by the people that Co-op who currently have the site will let go so no real benefit really 🙄

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Morrisons – good news!’ is closed to new replies.