Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Morrisons ban enery drinks for under 16s
  • tomhoward

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/25052241

What do we think? Is it the choice of supermarkets who buys what, or parents?

LHS
    Free Member

Whoever sells them. Good for them, putting their standards on their sleeves.

project
    Free Member

Do teenagers actually shop in morrisons, or is it just marketing hype, to get their name in the press for christmas.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pieface

Bold move, and I applaud it. I think its bad enough seeing adults drink that rubbish regularly, but when I see kids under the age of 12 drinking it a little part of me dies, especially when their parents are complicit

arcing
    Free Member

I’m all for it. Wish my local shop would do it. The number of kids under 10 that walk out with them at breakfast time is terrible.

Phil_H

Project, My local morrisons is heaving with school kids at lunchtime. It’s one of the closest shops to the school.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seems fine to me, as if teenagers need to become more of a PITA.

tomhoward

My concern is it will go the same way as the ‘challenge 18’ thing all the supermarkets did with booze, before it went to ‘challenge 21’, which was just before it went to ‘challenge 25’

‘I’m sorry sir, but there is a child within a mile of the shop, so I cant sell it to you…’

nealglover
    Free Member

‘I’m sorry sir, but there is a child within a mile of the shop, so I cant sell it to you…’

Has that ever happened to you ?

Or anyone you know.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I would prefer it if they’re just didn’t sell that crap full stop. But each to their own, if someone really wants all that inside them then so be it.

tomhoward

Has that ever happened to you ?

Not the distances mentioned, but a friend was refused alcohol when they were with (13yo) children.

tonyd

Good idea IMO and well done Morrisons.

I took my kids to the local park at about 9am on a Sunday in the summer. Young lad of about 8 or 9 turned up with his dad for a kickabout, pulled a bottle of Lucozade sport out of his boot bag and started guzzling it. To be fair to his dad he told him he needs to do some exercise first but the lad just said it was for energy.

Personally I can’t stand the things and only ever use them after an hour or more of hard exercise, and then only if I’ve got an hour or more to do.

Each to their own of course.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Is this some misconceived idea to make them boxing averse?

It’s political correctness gorn mad I tell yer.

Drac

Do teenagers actually shop in morrisons, or is it just marketing hype, to get their name in the press for christmas.

Yes. Loads do just because you don’t notice something doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

Should be an age limit with the caffeine.

yunki
    Free Member

Good for Morrisons.. If we are breeding children that are stupid enough to think that it’s OK to put that shit into their body, then someone obviously has to step in and do their thinking for them..

Routeunknown
    Free Member

When I see a young kid buying a large bottle of energy drink I always think that there should be an age limit. Especially those big cans of Relentless.

If I can barely get through one as an adult I don’t know how the kids do!

oxym0r0n

Good +1

billyboulders
    Free Member

Those drinks don’t work anyway. From what I’ve seen the teens round our way don’t seem to have gained enough energy after drinking theirs to walk to the flippin bin with the empty cans. 👿

footflaps

Good +1

Just need to ban the sale of them to adults as well now!

sharkattack

What’s wrong with energy drinks?

tonyd

Personally I think they have their place in the world. Problem is a lot of people now seem to think that by simply drinking them they’ll become more active, rather than using them as an aid to activity.

I don’t think they’re really any different to a watered down gel are they? You don’t see folks munching on those down the precinct!

Someone in a marketing department somewhere was laughing all the way to the bank.

nick1962
    Free Member

Google it or read the warning labes on the cans!
    NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN
    Can cause behavioural and psychological problems.Too much caffeine can poison children and this and other stimulants often in these drinks can cause problems in brain and heart development in growing chldren.
    They also have high sugar levels too.
    Should be banned for under 16s as a minimum imho.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

They are referring to redbull and the like. Lucozade Sport is just expensive sugar. But redbull et al. is full of some serious levels of caffine and all the other s%^&. No ones brain is going to function after all those stimulents buzzing round your skull. It worries me when I see people walking to work drinking the stuff. Seriously, go to bed if you’re that tired!

footflaps

For a start 99.99% of them are just consumed on top of a normal diet by sedentary people determined to die from either a heart attack or a Type II diabetes related complication. They are just a very unhealthy substitute for going to bed earlier, doing some exercise and eating well.

brakes
    Free Member

they just drink it to wake them from their dope-induced stupor.

martinhutch

Vintage 70s joke from Woppit…

sharkattack

Four quotes in a row for one simple question.

I win STW.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m amazed how many yoofs I see at work sat at a desk with a can of monster or relentless on the go. FFS get some exercise, stop staying up all night playing xbox or **** to internet pron, and get a life.

Thankfully I’m still at the stage where a Starbucks americano gives me the willies.

butcher

Is it the choice of supermarkets who buys what, or parents?

Like cigarettes and alcohol, it’s a drug. It’s up to society as a whole to look after our future.

If Morrisons started selling crack to kids, we wouldn’t be saying it’s up to the parents.

Drac

Is it the choice of supermarkets who buys what, or parents?

Yes if they sell it of course it is.

I_Ache
    Free Member

As somebody who has a can of monster every now and again I think this is a great idea. The last thing we need is 13 year olds with even more energy and mischief.

The drinks have their place and for me that is either mixed with spirits or when I am flagging and need a pick me up. School children certainly don’t need to drink them.

iolo
    Free Member

This policy only applies to selected stores.
    So that will be 3 then

ryderredman
    Free Member

Off on a tangent but I’m always ready to chirp in on this. The problem with age regulations are the double standards that are employed. Go to the shop for some beers “sorry can I see your ID as you don’t look over 25?”. Try and show the ticket man at the barrier the discounted rail ticket you bought “can I see your railcard as you don’t look under 25?”

If your going to have age restrictions on products have it done by Mr Branson, he does everything 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

sharkattack – Member 

Remember that time I drove us to GT and I necked two cans of red bull and had to stop the car after getting over-excited? Well, that. And I’m a 40 year old ex druggie 😀

Ambrose

I wish that all the retailers would do the same. I really appreciate it when 22 wired fifteen year-old pupils arrive in class after having downed litre bottles of the stuff. Trying to teach DNA structure on a Friday afternoon after just one or two of them have consumed a bottle or more of the Aldi’s/ Lidl’s version is a very provocative experience.

LMT
    Free Member

Its an old safeway poilcy that they used to have, so morrisons take over safeway and slowly all the old idea’s are coming back.

Its like a certain supermarket now has scan and shop, safeway had this back in 2000, the same certain supermarket is launching digital shelf edge labels, and yep safeway had this in some stores. Its just recycling old idea’s as they clearly have no new ones, but its a good call to bring this one back.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Here there is very little in the way of diet drinks and the fridges are full of eenergy drinks. Masssive full size lager can-size. Seriously, as a diabetic I like the occassional sugar free fizzy pop but it’s Coke Zero, Diet or water and that’s pretty much it. Monster, Mother, huge RedBull.

Didn’t France ban Red Bull?

oldnick

I remember being in departures once, and two little lads (4 or 5 years old) were scrapping over a can of Red Bull.

Parent’s answer? Buy another one so they had one each 😯

Speshpaul

Banned in Canada i beleive, things happening in the states regarding selling “energy” drinks in bars and club – wide awake drink being a new issue.
    My kids school have banned them and now the kids are only allowed drinks in clear bottles.

“energy” drinks? they are stimulants pure and simple. its not the sugar thats the issue its the caffine.
    Anyone who has used them and asks whats wrong with them needs to have a chat with themselves.

nealglover
    Free Member

Anyone who has used them and asks whats wrong with them needs to have a chat with themselves.

Nothing wrong with them for Adults in my opinion.

Similar caffeine level to one cup of coffee in a can of Redbull.

Up to 400mg of caffeine per day is considered a “moderate” intake and will not have adverse health effects.

Redbull has 80mg in a regular can size, so not an issue as far I can see.

Lots of sugar but so do lots of non “energy” drinks. And they do a Sugar Free version anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Morrisons ban enery drinks for under 16s’ is closed to new replies.