Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Morocco
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

Whats it like for a relaxing beach holiday type place?
    Seems cheap need a beach break…

anyone been?

ski
    Free Member

Went out there a few years back and stayed in Agadir.

Remember the beach being blustery, sand in your eyes sort of way, but clean and for most part quiet, most seemed to stay round the pool.

Must admit we keep going back to Cuba for our cheap beach breaks, night-life is amazing, loads to see and do on the Island and Havana is just an amazing place to visit, worth checking out for cheap deals 😉

cp

windy!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ktaylor
    Free Member

Look up Essaouira. I went in October '08 for three days. A bit windy on the beach and so great for kitesurfing. Place not properly developed yet so quite relaxed. Nice medina to visit etc.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Agreed that Essaouira is pleasant. Spent a few days there during the summer.

Jason
    Free Member

I have been to Agadir, during May, for the past two years.

Weather is good that time of year, warm during the day, and not too hot in the evenings. The wind does pick up in the afternoon, which causes a fair amount of sand to be blown about – I guess this varies during the course of the year.

Both times we stayed in a decent hotel (RIU Tikidia Dunas) which was great. We had young kids with us, so didn't leave the hotel too much.
    The hotel staff were always very good with the children.

The beach is very nice, it is wide, sandy and clean. However in some ways it is more like a communal park than a Caribbean white sand style beach. Always lots of people wandering along it or playing football. They have just completed a promenade along the edge of most of the beach, which is very nice to stroll along. The beach front hotels all have their own sections of cordoned of 'private' beach. We spent most of our time around the pool.

Have a look at Trip Advisor for lots of reviews:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g293731-Agadir-Vacations.html

soma_rich
    Free Member

Ooh thanks for the tips guys looking hopeful. We are planning a trip in early Feb 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I went about 3 weeks ago, stayed in Agadir for about half a day (plane landed there) before going to Marrakesh. Seemed like an ok spot, beach looked pretty clean and it was bloody warm. Some lad was trying to persuade us to go with him to a spot called paradise beach about 20mins away, he made that sound good (if it existed) and theres another place just over the hill from there beggin with T (terrasouk maybe?) thats meant to be alrite.

gusamc
    Free Member

use Agadir airport, but don't stay there (rebuilt after earthquake, lots of American style development)

If you drive N from there it's good (I stayed with Rapture Surf Camps – recommeded – but only if you want to surf and live in a bunkhouse, however food was amazing).

Also did biking with Exodus, routes ecommended, Exodus not (cost and chcicken tagine 3 nights out of 7, inc once after an 'enforced' 30 minute carpets hard sell – however scenery awesome.

See http://www.taghazout.org/ *I'm coming from backpacker, rufty tufty style…

http://www.morocco.com/souss-massa-draa/taroudant/

I **think** this was the bst place we visited, thriving cafe culture, women on moped with haed covers etc… lively and excellent.

Best thing I saw. Out biking in nowehere land on some god forsaken, arid, sunbaked track, couple sort of standing together, sort of huddling, then see a bloke and women, walking seperately with with the women carrying the child, once they saw we weren't locals they stopped, the bloke picked up the child and then took his wifes (presumably) hand and they walked along together smiling and laughing.

mysterymove
    Free Member

Personally I thought Agadir is a touristy sh*t hole, go 10 minutes up the road and stay in Taghazoute / Banana Village, loads of beaches all deserted all bar a few surfers, loads of place's to sit out of the wind. Been there a couple of times surfing for New Years over the past couple of years…

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Back in 2002 I went with my lady of the time for a fortnight to Essaouira. It was, in general, a great holiday.
    We went in October, so not too busy, and still pleasant weather.

Previous posters are right about the wind factor, so February may have a chilly edge to it with the Atlantic breezes (think Canary Isles – similar latitude) so find a sheltered spot and you'll be fine.

We befriended three local lads who 'worked' in one of the music/souvenir shops due to the fact that one had visited Glasgow (where we're from) and had played in a band at a bar local to me and ended up fathering a child with one of the local ladies!
    These lads were very welcoming and friendly, going as far as to hook us up with some local 'delicacies' of a smokable variety.
    All three were, perhaps unbelievably, named Abdul.

Anyway, I digress.

Things to look out for:
    a local cooking oil – Argan oil – sold in re-used plastic soft-drinks bottles.
    goats in trees – seriously, they climb the Argan tree to eat the leaves
    the preponderance of the local dish – tajine – pleasant enough, but after a week one longs for a bit more choice.

In short, I couldn't fault the placves I saw (inc. an overnight in Marrakech – but don't go out walking at night there by yourself, unless you like being approached by young men on mopeds with dis-honourable intentions towards your bottom, or if you like packs of stray dogs getting too close for comfort.)

happy holidays

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I stayed in Agadir with a friend about 15 years ago in September and didn't have any trouble with the wind. Agadir beach is slightly sheltered and when we went round the headland to the north we found deserted beaches with surf double the size of Agadir. We took a couple of days out from the package and drove to Marrakech in a hired Renault 4 which was well worth doing, with a stop on the way back to hike up Djebel Toubkal, the highest mountain in the Atlas range. Even there we were approached by a man trying to sell us trinkets. Outside the tourist areas the locals were very friendly and keen to swap any of their stuff for your T-shirt or watch, so maybe take a few shirts you don't like any more and cheap watches? Back in the tourist ares there will often be folks hassling you to buy stuff although the better hotels do have their own areas of beach that these people are barred from. At the end of the week I did buy a blanket from one of the beach traders which I still have folded on the sofa.
    We took our bikes but without small scale maps or local knowledge we found it difficult to locate any quality riding.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Morocco’ is closed to new replies.