Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • More Virtual miles than real miles this year ? , anyone else ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Due to silly work shifts and family , im only really getting miles in on my turbo trainer on zwift instead of real miles outside, can only grab the odd hr here and there to ride, anyone else doing more turbo miles than real miles ?

weeksy

Errrrrrm mumble mumble…

Zwift miles i’ve got 4x the number od real miles…

It will change, it will sway back, but i still expect a higher number of miles indoors than outdoors this year.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

Since getting Zwift in Nov I haven’t done a single outside mile(except shop runs)!

I’m a fair weather mountain biker by my own admission and usually the MTB hibernates for the winter in favour of wind/wave powered sports, but I used to cycle to work year round. However, long, demanding shifts and tricky conditions on the commute(mud etc) meant I felt like I wasn’t gaining anything fitness wise and fell off weekly.

I’ve lost 3kg since starting zwift (a slightly emaciated looking 78kg 182 cm) and my FTP(which is a new concept to me) has apparently increased by 40W. I love the racing – started firmly D cat but now moved up to C.

Storm doris is arriving tomorrow so we’ll find out if Zwift fitness = Kite/Windsurf fitness.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’m seeing some riders I know turn a lot more fair weather since Zwift came on the scene. Really wish I could hide all the Zwift stuff on Strava.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Good to hear its not just me then ! … wifes started calling me a pussy for staying in when the weathers crap 🙂

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Yup, me too. For the most part the virtual miles take place at times I wouldn’t otherwise ride at all, so I just see it as a bonus.

weeksy

Good to hear its not just me then ! … wifes started calling me a pussy for staying in when the weathers crap

My wife is fine with that, but completely bemused with the racing side etc. She’s done Zwift a bit herself…

“Oh, i don’t even look at the screen mostly….”

Which probably explains why here limit is about 25 min.

jam-bo

291 Zwift
    233 MTB/Road

ferrals
    Free Member

For the most part the virtual miles take place at times I wouldn’t otherwise ride at all, so I just see it as a bonus.

Same. Don’t like riding in the dark so this time of year its turbo or nothing in the week.

legend
    Free Member

Hope you’re all remembering to do at least some upper body work on the side 😉

stumpy01

Yep, me too. Since I started using Zwift, I’ve done 2 trips to the supermarket (6 miles in total) and on Sunday I actually got out and did 25 miles.

The rest of my miles have been on Zwift.

Strava reckons I’ve done 343 miles this year.

jam-bo

although I reckon you need to adjust the zwift mileage totals down by about 30%

weeksy

jam bo – Member

although I reckon you need to adjust the zwift mileage totals down by about 30%

For sure, they’re ‘perfect world’ figures for miles without doubt. 0 wind, 0 resistance etc.

hooli

Really wish I could hide all the Zwift stuff on Strava.

You can if you use Chrome, add the Strava enhancement suite addon. It gives you the option to hide commutes, Zwift and a couple of other things.

teamslug
    Free Member

857 miles showing on Strava. 282 virtual miles. All outdoor riding has been off road so the thick gloopy mud around here negates the 30% downward adjustment for zwift?.

whitestone
    Free Member

Virtually (sic) none on the turbo this year, probably only 50Km out of 1500Km ridden so far.

zilog6128

750 miles on Zwift since I started in December last year vs. 25 real world miles. 😳

That was always the plan though; to increase fitness so as to get more out of real life riding when the weather turns nice again. And the plan is definitely working so far!

kimbers

all my mates are going turbo crazy, zwift mad!

Im a stick in the mud (literally) one muddy cold night ride a week for me

even if im slower come the summer

managed 70k so far this year (not counting my daily commute – about 10k there and back- but road riding is dull for me)

so 70k off road 🙂 , 350k on road 🙁 , 0 turbo 🙂

and I havent wasted my time sweating away staring at the garage wall

that said I do have to replace my pads before I go out tonight as they are ground down to the backing, which is a pita

TiRed

2% of my riding has been virtual. 50/2450 km. I use Zwift to up the weekly mileage to reach my target of a Sunday evening. This includes a ride o 9 km at 23:40 😳 .

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

1035km indoors and 705km outdoors.

Zwift is my midweek morning workout.

Definitely moving to more outdoor rides now though.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I haven’t done any virtual miles at all this year.
    Although to honest I haven’t done a lot more in the the real world either!!

epicsteve
    Free Member

636 total miles so far this year, with 434 of them on the turbo.

madhouse

Definitely more on the turbo so far but I’m planning on mothballing the Zwift subscription by Easter so that’ll swing back around fairly quickly.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

All my Zwift stuff is locked so I don’t clog my stream up with virtual stuff.

Think i’m on about 800km this year, of which approx 70km has been outside (3 rides).

Totally rubbish – but this year i’m totally fed up with the trails being thrashed to death, or riding in the pissing rain & freezing cold, or all of the above.

Weather is starting to turn now so i’ll ease off the turbo & start a bit of riding to work, and a bit more actual fun mountain biking. If the weather holds this weekend I might almost double my distance & number of outdoor rides 🙂

I’m totally sick of the turbo now.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I did loads of miles on zwift last winter but this year I feel like I’ve got a much better balance – a couple of hard zwift sessions in the week with my weekend rides being (mainly) outside (on road or cross bike). I rarely do the easier z2 rides on zwift this year whereas last year I did.

So far I seem fitter for it based on the reliability rides I’ve done, but we’ll see when TT season starts.

GolfChick
    Free Member

128.6 real life miles vs 351.9 virtual miles…. more virtual miles than I expected but its mainly due to my average ride on Zwift being 20 miles in length vs shorter blasts outside. Four days in Scotland now should even things out a bit!!

amedias
    Free Member

Unless your bike actually moved relative to the earths crust then you did no miles, just time 😉

I’m not opposed to people using turbos I just wish I could filter out pretend miles on Strava, I keep seeing friends going out for ‘rides’ and thinking about joining in or inviting them out and then keep getting my hopes dashed when I see it’s Zwift again 🙁

zilog6128

I guess that’s why everyone (even the thread title) is saying “virtual” miles 🙄

A mate who hadn’t heard of Zwift assumed I’d gone off on some exotic holiday when he saw my Watopia rides! 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

A mate who hadn’t heard of Zwift assumed I’d gone off on some exotic holiday when he saw my Watopia rides!

I get the opposite sometimes – given that the Zwift London course passes my office some folks probably think I’m commuting by bike.

scotroutes

I’ve managed 14,000 turbo miles this year using my e-bike. I’ve developed a doo hickey to charge the battery from the turbo. The next project is to fit a switch that will leave it running without me having to pedal for when I have to get off for a pee/sleep.

ianpv
    Free Member

407 km on road bike (only managed four rides so far…)
    370 Km on mtn bike
    606 km on kurt kinetic turbo (trainer road, not zwift)

but that is about 50 hours real riding compared to 21 hours of turbo, so still think I’ve got my priorities right!

It’s quite a lot for me – 10 hours a week – but I’m still feeling behind for the highland trail in only 13 weeks 😯

leftyboy
    Free Member

Been off the bike with a wrecked shoulder and just started on Zwift. Surgery beckons with a minimum of 3 months off the real bike but I can start back on the turbo (sitting bolt upright) after 2 weeks assuming the op goes OK.

So for me Zwift miles will be much greater than real ones.

benp1

669 miles on Strava, probably a hundred or so unrecorded on top

0 miles indoors, long may that live!

fibre
    Free Member

300 Zwift miles and only 40 real miles, excluding commuting. I’m enjoying Zwift to be honest, I don’t think i’d have bothered with indoor stuff without a smart trainer and Zwift.

My winter riding was going well in October, I was doing about 80miles a week of night road rides plus the odd weekend MTB. Then the weather turned and by December I was down to commuting 🙁

The weather is starting to improve and so is the amount of daylight after work. I’ll be fully appreciating the real riding very soon, and at least have some fitness to make the most of it.

colournoise

At the minute don’t have time to get out on the MTB as much as I previously have, so have started a TrainerRoad programme with an old MTB set up on the turbo (flat pedals and everything).

So far in 2017, plastic miles way outnumber real ones (roughly 2 to 1), but if it keeps me spinning and means I can properly enjoy the outdoor riding later in the year when I finally have time to, then I really don’t care.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

1,372km this year, all outside.

It is summer where I live though 😀

nathb
    Free Member

392 indoor vs 696 outdoor miles so far this year.

I can work a lot harder on Zwift than outdoor (maybe not races although I’m lazy in them now) as I don’t have to try and get home if the legs give up, so I don’t understand why folks have their back up when it comes to Zwift. Don’t like it clogging your feed then delete the person and move on?

muggomagic

306.9 virtual vs 208.1 mtb in 2017

I only bought the turbo this year and the virtual miles have made the real miles on the mtb easier and so it’s a lot more fun, even in poor conditions. I’m definitely more motivated to go out on my mtb now and it shows as in previous years January and February I’ve been doing well if I’ve done over 50 miles.

adsh
    Free Member

This time last year I clocked I wasn’t getting out. Over the year I hoarded bits and built up a racy single speed. I now get out at least twice a week and hurt in places no turbo can reach. Absolutely no hiding on a single speed!

Waderider
    Free Member

It’s not cycling you know.

How sad.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘More Virtual miles than real miles this year ? , anyone else ?’ is closed to new replies.