Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • More stupid Mary Towneley Loop questions…
  • ratherbeintobago

A few of us are considering having a crack at the MTL in the summer. I'd like to get the panel's thoughts on a few things:

[*]Clockwise or anticlockwise?[/*]
    [*]Start point – HB vs Watergrove vs bottom of RMR vs Waterfoot[/*]
    [*]Is the bloke who reckoned on another forum to have soloed it in <4.5h on a carbon Zaskar being realistic?[/*]

Ta

Andy

MrSparkle

I've only done it clockwise. Gets the gates over with early doors but you have to climb Rooley Moor so pro's and con's either way. Sub 4 1/2 is feasible if you're fit. I did it in just over 5 on my crappy owd SS a few years ago.

monksie
    Free Member

Clockwise
    Doesn't really matter where you start
    Yes, that's fast but has been done

higgo
    Free Member

I did it clockwise (from bottom of RMR).
    Took about 8hours but we weren't racing and stopped for breaks, lunch etc.

ratherbeintobago

Thanks – I was thinking clockwise from the bottom of RMR (not least because I live near there…) – get the drag over the Top of Leach out of the way…

We're not planning on racing.

Andy

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I live nr Rooley Moor Rd (nr Tesco actually, when were you thinking of doing it?

ratherbeintobago

June/July – I've a bit of a lack of weekends between now & then…

Andy

stumpyjon

Start point is a really a matter of convienience. I've done the last three MTL challenges, twice clockwise and once anticlockwise. Climbs are a lot tougher anti-clockwise but shorter giving you longer downhill sections. Despite the tougher climbs I did it in just under 7 hours last year, with minimal stopping, an hour faster than previous years. For a group I'd plan on 8 to 9 hours.

Edit: top riders can do it in just over four hours but that really is kicking the ar$e out of it. Plus is it just me or has this thread going really wonky format wise halfway down.

ratherbeintobago

Plus is it just me or has this thread going really wonky format wise halfway down.

It's supposed to be a list, except, as you say, the formatting's gone mad.

Most of the MTL I've ridden, I've done anticlockwise (RMR to the canal at Bottomley, & RMR to Hollingworth via the Bridelway South) – the only bit that I've done that I really didn't like was the drop into Bottomley where it's steep, narrow & with a sheer drop downhill. I suppose I'd be pushing whether I'm going up or down that 😛 Most of the rest of it was rideable, albeit using the granny.

It's the bit up between Hebden & Waterfoot (going N) that I don't know – I'd like to keep the pushing to a minimum if poss.

Andy

Rorschach
    Free Member

3 of us rode in on saturday clockwise-can't remember where we started but we finished at the same place,which was convenient.All but one climb was doable on the ss but I can't recommend rigid-the thought of cobbles brings me out in a rash now.5 and a quater hours riding and an an hour eating and taking photos

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Andy – i ride that drop into Bottomley as part of my night rides 🙂 try it in winter when it's pitch black, muddy & slippy as hell!

Actually the rest of the route isn't particularly technical. The other side of Bottomley is a pretty steep cobbled bridleway but if you're going A/C then you'll be coming down it.
    I'm doing the C2C/24hrs in late July but if you have an extra place… 😛

coolhandluke
    Free Member

we did it clockwise and plan to do it anticlockwise next time just for variety.

Took us 6 hours 45 minutes riding time in March in p155ing rain when we were all pretty unfit after winter. We did it over 2 days though as we fancied a night out in Hebden Bridge 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘More stupid Mary Towneley Loop questions…’ is closed to new replies.