Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • More problems with builder, threats and demands
  • FuzzyWuzzy

I’d be most worried about related vandalism, ofc as you know their mother’s address you could always respond in kind, just double up the damage until they get the message – what could possibly go wrong? :p

thegreatape
    Free Member

You might recall this was recently debated by many top legal bods when some B list celeb waved a kitchen knife at some trespassing scallywags in her garden. The general consensus was the law was not meant to protect threatening people on your property, despite what the Police may think. Obviously were one to use the same actions against someone who was on your property going about their legal business (e.g. Postman) then the law would apply.

If you are referring to Myleene Klass waving a knife at burglars then that was predominantly a debate over the offence of Possession of an Offensive Weapon, which can only occur in a public place. The POA is quite clear that some of it’s offences can be committed in public and in private – the offences are not committed if the threatener and the threatened are both within dwellings, but if one or other is not then those laws apply. Unless the OP and his builder were all inside his house, which it doesn’t sound like from his post, then the legislation applies. If I stand in your garden shouting and bawling at you, I commit the relevant offence, even though I’m standing on private property.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Well, it’s been quiet until today, we had a note through our door saying that as we are in an ongoing contract I’m not to let anyone else to enter of alter the project. Don’t know if that’s true legally, I think it’s in response to us having a another builder look at it yesterday to get an idea of costs to finish the work. He’s also said a copy of the contract will follow shortly, a contract I’ve never had and the work he was supposed to do is almost complete, erm bit late now?

So, after help from the police and my solicitor we have sent off a letter today to dis-instruct the builder, we’re all hoping he’ll just eff off!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DezB
    Free Member

It’s people like you who keep people like this in work!

🙂 good luck mate

DezB
    Free Member

Come to think of it, maybe you should contact them…

Up and down the country, cowboy builders are causing devastation and dismay. These reckless workmen are always bad news, leaving behind them piles of rubble, financial angst and heartache – and it’s up to our team to fix up ruined homes and drive the bad builders out of town. Standing up for aggrieved consumers everywhere are Dominic Littlewood and Melinda Messenger.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Contract? Have you signed it?!

CountZero

Oh yeah. That garden full of overweight, socially awkward, IT-working, t-shirt wearing bike g33ks is going to see him scared.

Harsh, very harsh! I’ll have you know I’m not even close to being overweight!
    <sniff>

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

No, not signed any new contract!

This was what they insisted and thought I would do the last time I had to deal with the builder and his brother, last Friday.

I am seriously thinking of contacting cowboy builders/rogue traders, the work is ok, but they have been right bar-stewards and nasty people to deal with, and left the place in a mess, I’ve spent most of this week clearing away rubble, rubbish, sand, cement and a load of screed they laid down in my driveway.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Anyone know if they have a right to stop other people working on the project? I’d have thought not as I have no written agreement/contract, just the first quote and verbal agreement.

footflaps

Anyone know if they have a right to stop other people working on the project?

Nope, your property, your land, you’re in charge of who works there.

cranberry
    Free Member

Anyone know if they have a right to stop other people working on the project?

Oh yes, it’s all in the contract that he hasn’t quite got round to making up yet. You are also going to have to name your first born child after him, and do his washing up on alternate Fridays.

Unfortunately, you seem to have got yourselves mixed up with someone who is a thug and a complete chancer. I hope that once this is resolved you’ll be writing a nice letter to HMRC letting them know the builders details.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

cranberry – that made us laugh, something we haven’t done for a while 😆

footflaps

I’d let HMRC know he asked for payment by cash. Just to get your own back!

cranberry
    Free Member

*Takes a bow*

My work here is done.

Don’t let the bastard grind you down.

Sandwich

I’d let HMRC know he asked for payment by cash. Just to get your own back!

The income taxation side are dogged but the VAT side tend to have their own scary looking individuals to do house calls. Both sides will visit once you let them know all in the one visit too.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

toys19

I had this happen, almost carbon copy, you are not in devon are you? I resolved with a solicitor, surveyor who condemmed the work, and a recording of him threatening me..

Just rereading some of this thread, how did you resolve this, I’ve got a solicitor, recordings of the threats, building work is ok except for leaking roof and a few minor bits, but we can’t seem to get rid of them, so just wondering what you actually did? I don’t think they realise I’ve been recording them, did you tell them you have the conversations recorded?

toys19
    Free Member

kojak, mine came to a head when he demanded money or he would break my legs, I had witnesses. He then backed off and sent my a solicitors letter demanding dosh. Mine replied with crime number, witness statements, surveyors damning report and a large middle finger drawing at the bottom of the letter. Silence since that was 3-4 years ago?

thetallpaul
    Free Member

From what I remember whilst doing a bit of work on the HMRC IT systems (I’m not overweight either 😉 ), Tax Inspectors are the only agency legally allowed to enter your property without a warrant. Also once they get their teeth in they don’t let go. Just saying….

We are looking to have some work done next year, so I’ve learnt a lot from this thread.

Like toys19’s solicitors style.

Chin up.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Just an update for anyone interested …

We’ve not heard anything from him after sending a letter of dis-instruction on the advice of the police and my solicitor, but I got a text yesterday saying he has had advice from a solicitor and he’s going to take me to the small claims court, the police said he would probably say that but it’s unlikely he’d do it as he would then have to submit receipts and evidence himself and even if he does I’ve got the surveyors report, evidence of threats and demands, original quote, the letters I’ve sent him that haven’t been responded to. It’s just a pain as we thought we’d got rid of him, we just want it all to be over and done with. I did end up speaking to his mum, she was upset about the whole situation, I explained we just wanted to move on, I was hoping she might influence things and he would back off.

toys19 – I have had threats to pull the building down and the roof off, this has been reported and I have a reference number but not a crime number, no physical threats yet, but I have been recording the conversations so have evidence, so wondering if I need to let him know I have recorded evidence, give the reference number and get some witness statements too?

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

I think keep the recording secret until there is a point where they are needed rather than just there as a threat.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Just read this through from the beginning and can imagine how bad you must have been feeling all though this.

If nothing else it just goes to show how important it is to get every detail written down and agreed before proceeding. I did a huge extension a few years ago and whilst very happy then and now with my Builder, because he was crap at paperwork, he never ‘got around’ to giving me prices for the extras required along the way.

I knew I had the upper hand as I held the money, but it wasn’t ideal as at the end he wanted more money than I thought I owed, so we sat down around the table and I said how much I thought something should cost and he said how much he thought it would cost, we discussed and agreed a figure and moved onto the next one. I was reasonable, he was reasonable and it was all fine.

One thing people undertaking building works at home should take into account, is that Builders will quote cheap to get the job and there WILL be extras along the way regardless. Make sure you have a contingency set aside of at least 15% of the budget. Happy days if you don’t need it……but you probably will!

granny_ring

Hope it works out kojak, keep us posted.

Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘More problems with builder, threats and demands’ is closed to new replies.