Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • More P(b)olitics – Now Clegg Wants a Coalition With Labour
  • Gweilo
    Free Member

Is this man as much of an opportunist as he appears to be?

Given the Lib Dems are going to get a worse kicking than the Tories in the next election this smacks of desperation…. and after bigot-gate 2 he probably ought to be keeping his mouth shut for a while

Is he about benefiting the country or just about Nick Clegg

loum
    Free Member

From their last manifestos, it would have been a more natural fit for the policies.
    TBH, from their policy manifestos, Labour and the Conservatives would have been a more natural Coalition than the present one.
    On a majority of topics, the Lib Dems are further from the Conservatives than “New Labour”.
    But that’s not the point. The image of democracy required that if Labour didn’t win outright, then they lost power.
    It’s a little more open next time ‘cos the Conservatives haven’t actually been solely in power to lose it – so if it’s not decided outright then either party could claim the hollow victory.

Can’t see Cleggs lot getting enough support to make any difference though.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

Clegg’s only really motivated by what’s best for his own image – the ridiculous way he handled the House of Lord’s reform is a case in point – he proposed a series of half-baked unworkable ideas, and when challenged basically had a strop and committed to throwing a spanner in the works in other areas where clear, workable, fact based proposals for reform had been proposed.

binners

Its all academic anyway. The lib dems aren’t going to be in a position to go into a coalition with anyone after the next election as they’ll be wiped out.

mt
    Free Member

He can’t have a coalition with Labour because Ed Balls said so.

ourmaninthenorth

had a strop and committed to throwing a spanner in the works in other areas

there is a strong view that the LibDems have, through naivety or just being the “junior partner”, come out of this bargain far worse than they expected to. They’ve been pretty sincere to a lot of their coaltion pledges, while the barely controllable (by Cameron) Conservative backbenches have briefed mercilessly against every LibDem plan.

Sure, tuition fees was a major shot in the foot, but against a Tory party that won’t play with a straight bat due to its core ideological bent, I’d say Cleggers has found himself and his colleagues properly outfoxed.

But Labour would have done the same to them, so let’s not forget that.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

After the vote, clegg went labour first. But there was resistance. this and the arithmetic would have resulted in weak government. The Tory coalition was the best option to firm government because the Tories were desperate to “win” and the arithmetic was good. libs are not surprised they have been screwed by the Tories but that’s life.

If labour go into the next election with only a small points lead A lib lab coalition could work. But the lab would probably prefer another term licking wounds.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Thrashing out a joint policy on ID cards would test the mettle of the LDs. But as they’ve form on dumping their policies it’s possible…

Don’t discount a LD influence on NuLab2. The LDs may try, nay it’s there only hope to try, the line that the Tories unchecked by the LDs would have been and will be even worse, they’ll also try that line on their potential ‘Labour’ partners.

If only Miliband had the balls to tell the LDs that they’d made their bed and now they have to lie on it!

binners

You’ve got to hand it to the Lib Dems. Before the election they were generally considered a quirky, protest-votey sort of irrelevance.

But they’ve managed to prove pretty conclusively, while being nominally ‘in power’ that they are in fact an utter and complete irrelevance. We won’t have to worry about them for too long as I doubt they’ll be around after the next election

Vince Cable is this morning announcing plans to make it easier for employers to sack anyone they like, without much of a reason

I’m sure that’s what everyone who voted Lib Dem hoped they’d be seeing from him 🙄

tiggs121
    Free Member

Lib Dems will take “one hell of a beating” – to quote a Norwegian footie commentator – at the next election. The anti – tory vote, and there are many of them in many constituencies, will now go elsewhere – in my area and I hope that means Micheal Moore is ousted. Sold the jerseys I’m afraid. People wont forgive that!

As for Clegg – he’s just happy to have had a wee share in Government, even if this means being told what to do by a rich, over privilidged public school w*****r.

binners

Clegg is a over privilidged public school w*****r too, remember

tiggs121
    Free Member

That’s true Binners – maybe that’s why they get on so well?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Old Chinese proverb say “Be careful what you wish for as you may get it”.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Gweilo
    Free Member

Did see that Ed “The Liar” Milliband announced that him and St Vincent of Cable have been having textual intercourse…. St Vince appears to be doing some early sucking up to NuLab2 as he knows he’s screwed in 2015 (if they get there)

And WTF is this easier to sack people nonsense announced this morning, massive swing from the employee to the employer in terms of rights. Its a worrying move in my opinion and I’m no unionista by any stretch of anyone’s imagination

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ed “The Liar” Milliband

St Vincent of Cable

NuLab2

unionista

Do you talk in such an amusing way in real life ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Only his textual intercourse is that funny ernie

I love Farmers johns post they are funny

Clegg’s only really motivated by what’s best for his own image

This seems to be going well – is he just really bad at it?

the ridiculous way he handled the House of Lord’s reform is a case in point

Is it in the coalition agreement – do the Tories make it unworkable ?

he proposed a series of half-baked unworkable ideas, and when challenged basically had a strop

You mean the tories [and you for it is the same thing]did not like them and threw a spanner in the works so he did the same. Seems like a reasonable response tbh.

and committed to throwing a spanner in the works in other areas where clear, workable, fact based proposals for reform had been proposed.

Am i meant to believe that you think that boundary changes that favour the tories and harm Labour are a good thing..i am shocked and surprised by this news.

As you pluralised it can you name anything else he has done this on?

Your polemics are funny and only moderately based in a factual analysis of reality.

Gweilo
    Free Member

Ernie_the Troll_Lynch

Do you talk in such an amusing way in real life ?

So it would appear, does it require your approval, and if so how do I apply?

A question for you. Do you, as other people who post in this forum seem to think, “troll” on every thread in which you become involved?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ernie does not troll and just because he challenged your lazy [and somewhat childish] jibes it is no real reason to get so offended

We seem to have an acceptance of calling someone a troll on here of late and I find that to be rather trolly

Junkyard
    Free Member

Double post

loum
    Free Member

troll

Gweilo
    Free Member

That’s an opinion, based on what I’ve read, I’m afraid I don’t share with you Junkyard.

Ed Milliband is a liar and, as i have stated before, deliberately misled parliament when he was energy secretary in respect of carbon scrubbing technologies in new coal fired power stations. That as far as I’m concerned makes him a liar and as such its not a jibe its a statement of fact. Go and read Hansard and you’ll find out what I’m talking about.

I don’t generally indulge in personal attacks but if somebody chooses to attack me they can expect a response. I wasn’t offended, by the way, I just found his sarcasm puerile.

sas
    Free Member

BREAKING NEWS: Politician behaves like a politician.

And on a more serious note, if you’re a Tory would you rather have a Labour majority or a LabDem coalition, (and vice-versa if you support Labour)?

loum
    Free Member

And on a more serious note

No it’s not 😉

Gweilo
    Free Member

I think what we need is a government that bans trolls like me and ernie from public forums 😀

nacho
    Free Member

Are we not all aware by now? All politicians are liars, none of them are really any better than the others and Clegg having his bit of power has proved this. I despair at our politicians and the political system. Unfotunatley I have no idea as to how we can make things better.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘More P(b)olitics – Now Clegg Wants a Coalition With Labour’ is closed to new replies.