Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • More parenting woes – any ideas?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

We have 5 year old (non-identical) twins and both have strops now and again as you’d expect at that age.

However, one has real emotional outbursts – for example, this morning she got up and was fine then something just clicked and everything was wrong for her – her school tights were uncomfortable, she was cold, we hadn’t sat with her ‘properly’ at breakfast etc. She then went on to say she ‘just wanted’ to hit things, wanted to say ‘poo’ (she knows she isn’t allowed to say naughty words). She calmed down a little for a bit but then 20 minutes later we had it again, her shoes weren’t right, she wanted her blankie etc etc etc. We get these sort of outbursts most days and we’ve tried talking to her, listening to why she is so angry, ignoring her, shouting at her, rewarding her etc.

She often says things like ‘I don’t like you looking at me’ or ‘I don’t like it when people talk to me’. She also hates being praised – if she does a nice drawing or says something funny and we respond she’ll say ‘don’t say that’ and often it leads to tears and her running away to hide.

This morning I was *VERY* close to running away to hide….

🙁

martinhutch

My little lad (also a non-identical twin) can get a bit aggressive and angry when he’s overtired and stressed. (Or when I tell him to stop playing Minecraft with his mates, but that’s quite normal.)

Presumably she’s just started school this term? It can be very tiring and stressful, for some kids at least, for the first couple of terms at this age.

johndoh
    Free Member

No it’s their second year and she has actually settled into the new year better than she finished her first (although we have had a dip since coming back after the half-term holiday, mainly due to having lovely lazy time as a family which she really enjoyed).

Another example, put them to bed last night and we give them a choice of mummy or daddy holding their hands for a minute after bedtime book has finished. Her sister wanted mummy, she wanted me so I said ‘fine, we’ll both do it then’ but she kicked off saying she wanted me to hold her sister’s hand too.

P-Jay
    Free Member

What Martin said,

My Lad is 9 now, but at 5-6 he was an emotional little tyke – this coincided with him starting school ‘proper’ he loved reception class but hated year 1 – at first we just thought it was because it was more work and less play – but he said his teacher was mean, we told him over and over that he couldn’t expect to play all the time – but he kept saying she wasn’t very nice.

In fairness to the Lad, fist time I met her a parents evening, I knew he was right – she was a Dick, couldn’t wait for that year to end.

It’ll be worth asking how school is going etc – it could be deferred angst.

Clobber
    Free Member

Sounds like my youngest when she’s tired…

wwaswas

I don’t think anyone on here should be trying to ‘diagnose’ anything.

Talk to her teacher and see if she exhibits the same behaviours at school would be my first step.

Then give it a couple of months and if it hasn’t changed then talk to someone who’s a professional.

[edit] maybe that sounds over dramatic. I think I mean, ‘find out if she’s just a bit stroppy at home and give her time to adjust to being at school, new routines etc’.

martinhutch

My two certainly were little angels at school, but all that enthusiasm and good behaviour meant they saved up all their stroppy, unreasonable side for us at home. Which I suppose was a good thing, because it meant home for them was a safe environment to release all that pent-up stress/emotion.

Not so good for us, though, and at 5 years old, it’s hard to reason with it. I still think we start school way too early in this country.

Transition from reception to year 1 is a big change in the teacher/pupil atmosphere in most schools.

Kryton57

I don’t think anyone on here should be trying to ‘diagnose’ anything.

This. Of the gazillions of variables, unless there’s a continual issue over a long period it could be anything. They are growing, learning and experiencing things that their brains are adapting too at an alarming rate. Its not easy for them, and its hard for them to know why its not easy.

Just roll with it. If she starts killing animals on a more disciplined basis than burning ants with a magnifying glass or burns the house down, seek professional help. 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

I suppose a lot of the reason for asking this isn’t for a diagnosis, rather than the reassurance that we aren’t the only ones experiencing such things – we only have her twin sister to benchmark against and (although she does have strops as I said before) she is overall more emotionally developed.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Sounds normal. Got a 4 year old going on 15 that “Hates” everyone and “I’m not listening to you”

johndoh
    Free Member

So if she is normal, it’s the quiet one we need to be watching out for when we are sleeping is it?

cyclelife
    Free Member

i work in Special needs education, I suggest you ask for a referral to an educational psychologist for an assessment. Sounds as though she is possibly frustrated, possibly there’s a conflict between cognitive and verbal IQ which can result in dyspraxic tendencies – how is her balance and ability to catch a small ball?
    Difficult to tell without knowing her but it’s worth checking, tends to be a male problem more than girls though.

bencooper
    Free Member

Sounds as though she is possibly frustrated, possibly there’s a conflict between cognitive and verbal IQ which can result in dyspraxic tendencies – how is her balance and ability to catch a small ball?

Interesting, do go on…

Our 4-year-old has strops – generally it seems when she thinks we’re being patronising. She taught herself to read at age 3, but is physically less confident than other kids, and can’t catch.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Ben, busy at moment but will come back to thread tonight – loads of stuff on net including alternative therapies of which some really work!

johndoh
    Free Member

how is her balance and ability to catch a small ball

Balance is pretty good – she does gymnastics and has done ballet so can do beams and pirouettes. Catching seems fine too, although we don’t do loads of it.

martinhutch

I suppose a lot of the reason for asking this isn’t for a diagnosis, rather than the reassurance that we aren’t the only ones experiencing such things – we only have her twin sister to benchmark against and (although she does have strops as I said before) she is overall more emotionally developed.

All kids develop differently – our twins are so diametrically opposed in all areas and developing at different speeds that it’s hard to try to find a baseline for comparison. But even for us there’s a tendency to compare and contrast and wonder if one or other of them is behaving normally. And despite being a boy and a girl, quite a few people asked us if they were identical…

johndoh
    Free Member

Regarding dyspraxia, I have just read up on it and she doesn’t seem to display many of the signs – she learned to walk before her first birthday (in fact she achieved most developmental milestones early such as rolling, sitting up etc) , runs well, never bumps into things and has good spatial awareness (moreso than her sister).

Still can’t ride a bike though, but’s that’s our fault for not getting them out enough on them.

bencooper
    Free Member

Ben, busy at moment but will come back to thread tonight – loads of stuff on net including alternative therapies of which some really work!

Well, she’s not got dyspraxia – at least doesn’t fit any of the lists of symptoms I’ve read. I was just interested with the connection with being able to catch.

bencooper
    Free Member

johndoh – very much like our daughter. For her, I think it’s not anything clinically wrong with her, it’s just that she gets frustrated with being treated like a child. It’s when she thinks we’re laughing at her or patronising her that she gets stroppy.

g5604
    Free Member

This is a great book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00APJOY3A?btkr=1

Sounds like hippy nonsense, but it worked for us with a child with very similar behaviours.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

My two certainly were little angels at school….they saved up all their stroppy, unreasonable side for us at home

I have to smile at this. I’ve three and the eldest and youngest are great at school and right moody gits at home.

The middle one is the calmest and happiest at home, but a complete liability at school.

johndoh
    Free Member

g5604

Err, we have that 😳

We were just saying this morning that we should pick it up and start reading it properly again…

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

@Johndoh, if it makes you feel any better I have twins who are about to turn 4 in a few weeks, also a boy and a girl.

My little girl is amazing but can have episodes now and again but it usually tiredness that can cause it. She went nuts at me when I was dressing her the other day because I didn’t make her laugh when doing so. I think it’s just part of them developing. At pre school Nursery we get told how polite and patient they are in class and we are doing a fantastic job but like someone mentioned above they save it all for us at home. The hardest part of the day is when I get them at lunchtime when Nursery has finished, they are not good eaters in the morning no matter what they try. My daughter has snacks at Nursery and my boy is a bit fussier and will only eat yoghurts at if thats on the menu at snack time. They just cry at me until they have eaten lunch and got the energy levels back up, then the rest of the day is normally cool. Don’t look for something that isn’t there and just like the others dads on here just keep on winging it. It’ll be ok.

🙂

RAPID-RIDER
    Free Member

We have five year old identical twin boys who just started school. They are in sperate classes for the first time. They had been together in crèche but were a bit overdependant on each. One of them is is doing great the other is not so good. Everyday it’s like rolling a dice when I get them home in terms of who is going to throw a strop!
    Some days it’s plain sailing some days I count to ten every 10 seconds it’s great fun.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Can only echo what others have said, all kids are different, and try not to worry about it too much.

she kicked off saying she wanted me to hold her sister’s hand too.

Who’s the boss then in that situation ??

Although cyclelife has a point, I listened to some very interesting stuff on Radio 4 the other week about how the modern world almost creates excuses for different / bad behaviour in kids, and its actually now that we give kids too many excuses, when in a lot of cases they just need to do as they are told a bit more.

daveh
    Free Member

Our sweet little 3yr old girl’s first words to me this morning were: “I need to chop you up, and mummy”, followed by a description of eating us then opening her belly and getting us back out. I was somewhat worried by this but it later transpired that mummy has been reading Little Red Riding Hood with her!

johndoh
    Free Member

Hmm, hunger – I am sure that is it lots of the time, she is tiny (still weighs less than 15kg!) and, although she can have a good appetite when she gets going, she doesn’t often get the hunger messages so she’ll wake up and be angry or whatever and even when we get her breakfast out she’ll pick at it for a bit until she realises it’s food and food is good – then she’ll usually sit and finish it.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Sometimes everything just goes wrong.

At least thats how it seems with our (nearly) 3 year old.

One thing is wrong, then he wants something else (which doesn’t go quite right) and it all quickly snowballs into the mother of all meltdowns.

Luckily its not a daily thing for us. But it doesn’t sound unusual.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Yeah the link between hunger and happiness hasn’t clicked with my two yet.

johndoh
    Free Member

she kicked off saying she wanted me to hold her sister’s hand too.

Who’s the boss then in that situation ??

Us I would say – we explained we wouldn’t do that because it would be unfair on her sister. I went downstairs leaving her with mummy and she was still crying 5 minutes later after mummy had gone out of the room so I tucked her in, gave her a kiss and left her – she then went to sleep.

martinhutch

Hmm, hunger – I am sure that is it lots of the time, she is tiny (still weighs less than 15kg!) and, although she can have a good appetite when she gets going, she doesn’t often get the hunger messages so she’ll wake up and be angry or whatever and even when we get her breakfast out she’ll pick at it for a bit until she realises it’s food and food is good – then she’ll usually sit and finish it.

Actually, that does sound an awful lot like my lad. He’s a skinny fella, and you sometimes have to force him to eat a bit more, sneak him a few biscuits, or you can.get mega-strops and meltdowns. I’m starting to get better at recognising this now rather than just tell him off. He’s 12 next year. 😀

cookeaa

We have 5 year old (non-identical) twins and both have strops now and again as you’d expect at that age.

However, one has real emotional outbursts – for example, this morning she got up and was fine then something just clicked and everything was wrong for her – her school tights were uncomfortable, she was cold, we hadn’t sat with her ‘properly’ at breakfast etc. She then went on to say she ‘just wanted’ to hit things, wanted to say ‘poo’ (she knows she isn’t allowed to say naughty words). She calmed down a little for a bit but then 20 minutes later we had it again, her shoes weren’t right, she wanted her blankie etc etc etc. We get these sort of outbursts most days and we’ve tried talking to her, listening to why she is so angry, ignoring her, shouting at her, rewarding her etc.

She often says things like ‘I don’t like you looking at me’ or ‘I don’t like it when people talk to me’. She also hates being praised – if she does a nice drawing or says something funny and we respond she’ll say ‘don’t say that’ and often it leads to tears and her running away to hide.

This morning I was *VERY* close to running away to hide….

You could be describing our eldest (also five) of late OP, it comes and goes and general tiredness is a factor, possibly something related to the season too?

we’ve had the “Stop looking at me” thing, she has to have the right socks or tights or dress for school, Screaming, Shouting, stamping and most recently Baring her teeth and Growling like some sort of feral animal, I think there’s some sort of frustration behind it, once she’s wound up she often complains “You’re not listening to me”… she has a younger sister and I think she might perceive a bit of “unfairness” in the way we treat the pair of them at times, so I make a point of telling them both to behave, or trying to tell our youngest that the eldest knows the “Right” way to behave, trying to win her round with a bit of pop psychology…

I can sometimes spot the signs of her going into meltdown and head her off by being generally nice, offering some incentives, We have a “Good behaviour Chart” now where she earns/loses point based on general good behaviour and deeds, threats to remove toys and or treats seldom work but have done on occasion…

I will say this, I’m more patient than my Missus, if Daddy shouts she knows she’s gone too far, Mummy tends to run out of patience quicker and hence she knows when she’s getting to her, I worry that getting vocal starts to normalise shouting and losing your temper…

It’s not all that frequent she’s lovely 90% of the time, she’s good for grandparents and we’ve asked if she’s behaving like this at school and they reckon she’s one of the better behaved kids, so it’s clearly something she only does for us, but it does concern me…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

so I tucked her in, gave her a kiss and left her – she then went to sleep.

She got what she wanted then 😆 ie was the boss

They are manipulative clever little buggers !

woody2000

Aah, they’re great aren’t they?

“Daddy, soon you’ll be dead and gone forever, won’t you?”
    “Daddy, your awesome has been and gone!”

The last one was particularly hurtful.

OP – my eldest 2 boys (4 and 5 1/2) have strops in exactly the same way. One minute everything’s fine, then the school shoes aren’t tight enough and it’s the end of the world. Or it’s the wrong colour undies. Definitely worse when they’re tired or hungry, but totally normal. They just don’t understand they’re being unreasonable, and questioning that mis-understanding only makes it worse. And trying to reason with a 5 yr old makes you certifiable anyway! 🙂

I find a sudden and random distraction helps, and ignoring the strop as much as possible is a good thing, you don’t want to reward the strop by giving them the attention.

Good luck!

johndoh
    Free Member

She got what she wanted then

Well she didn’t because I didn’t hold her sister’s hand. If I had gone back in and done as she’d said she would have got what she wanted. I just went in to settle her because she had had one almighty meltdown.

At least I hope I did the right thing…

sharkbait
    Free Member

With our twin girls (now 12) there used to be a bit of competition between them as to who gets the most attention from mum/dad. One of them was more inclined to act this way than the other. My money is on this.

She’s getting bigger and realised that she can wrap you round her little finger. Just go with it and don’t read too much into it.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Sounds like my 3 year old boy. Very vocal. Today’s dinner was “eeerrrrrggghh smells like mouldy chocolate and lavender” (been reading Beatrix Potter books)

What would you like to do now I’m home from work?
    “I would like to fight you and shoot you”

ANYTHING he doesn’t want to do ends up in a growl, a scowly face and coming at me, punching at my thighs.

He also noticed he has a pimple on his cheek. We officially have a threenager!

finbar
    Free Member

Screaming, Shouting, stamping and most recently Baring her teeth and Growling like some sort of feral animal

Thanks. I just had an inappropriate fit of giggles in the office.

johndoh
    Free Member

Thanks. I just had an inappropriate fit of giggles in the office.

So you’re not a parent then?

I felt sympathy…

😆

finbar
    Free Member

Not yet, but I can’t wait after reading this thread. I’m still giggling now 😆 .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘More parenting woes – any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.