Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • More monitor woes – what connection
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

My new 28″ Benq monitor arrived with HDMI connection. Unfortunately the laptop I thought had HDMI has what is shown in the phot below instead. Whats that?

Fortunately on the back of the monitor there is another hole the same shape so I am guessing I just need to buy the right cable which isn’t HDMI.

What is it please?

gonefishin
    Free Member

It’s a “Display Port”.

Cables are pretty cheap and I think it is generally considered to be better than HDMI.

TiRed

HP have given up and now moved to HDMI. My new laptop has hdmi but the old docking station uses display port. I bought a small adaptor.

swdan
    Free Member

Yeah, display port, my work HP has one. Bought one of these adaptors from amazon, works no problems (was cheaper 3 months ago!)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just bought three adaptors for the three machines

VGA – HDMI
    DVI – HDMI
    DisplayPort – HDMI

You have got to love industry standards!

spooky_b329

There are two or three sizes of displayport. You may also be able to get a USB-C dock that you can plug the monitor and everything else into, but you need to check what the USB-C port on your laptop supports, as some do displayport through the USB-C, some don’t. Some also do power through the port, others don’t.

gonefishin
    Free Member

You have got to love industry standards!

Well the Universal Serial Bus connection has I think 8 different connection types so can be described as many things but I’m not convinced that “universal” is one of them.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I actuallyjust bought a display port to display port cable as I was using the other two HDMI slots for the other two computers. Didn’t notice anything about different sizes so lets hope I randomly hit the right choice

fossy

Bit odd with a laptop using display port. I work at a Uni, and all meeting rooms etc have large TV’s so HDMI is the most common. Lots of desktops use Display port, and I personally like it better as the cables click in. I have display port to HDMI for the media pc under the TV in the house, but Display port to DVI for the Zwift setup in the garage – monitors are DVI. Mind boggles.

swdan
    Free Member

I think HP went big on the display port thing. All our old laptops at work have them, were a pain wje visiting a client’s office and they just had an HDMI cable for the meeting room TV. New ones (not HP) don’t have them.

prettygreenparrot

Yes. Display port. Cables are easy to come by on your usual on line sources. And as has been said, they’re less liable to work loose than HDMI. Otherwise they’re just another connector.

I got a Benq last year. I didn’t stretch to the 29” one with USB-C in as well as whatever others. Instead got one with HDMI, display port, and mini display port if I remember correctly. I’d been using HDMI to HDMI with one laptop and USB-C to display port with my Mac. Then I discovered that what I though was a Kensington lock hole on the PC was a USB-C port. Unexpected. Now it’s USB-C to MDP all the way.

rydster
    Free Member

There is also a display port mini. One of my monitors goes through two media converters (display port to HDMI and then HDMI to display port mini) to go from display port at the GPU to display port mini at the monitor. Don’t ask why, I think it was just what I had lying around. In the past, I’ve had problems with media converters, something to do with sufficient power.

metalheart
    Free Member

I have a couple of spare display port to hdmi cables (which to my cost I have found out are not hdmi to display port… go on ask me how I know… 🤔🙄).

My monitor (Lenovo) came with a display port cable. My laptop (Lenovo) has hdmi. I solved my problem by actually checking the monitor and finding it has three connectors and went hdmi…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘More monitor woes – what connection’ is closed to new replies.