• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • More money in stripping a bike than selling whole?
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

So my Trek is not selling even though I think its a great price for a lot of bike! But thijnking it might be better to strip it?

So just need to get ideas of the going rates for bits and bobs. I have no idea what thigs are worth so are my estimates way out?

Fox 34 Fit 4 120mm forks – £250?
    Sram X1 1 x 11 full drive train £150?
    XT brakes £50?
    Reverb stealth £100?
    Frame inc rear fox fork £350?
    Sram Roam 30 Wheels £50?

wwaswas

frame model?

Age of components, condition, serviced?

Typically you’ll get more splitting but always sell the frame first.

vincienup
    Free Member

You’re about right on the drivetrain and reverb I reckon, but maybe a bit low on the brakes (unless they’re ancient or knackered). Possibly a touch high on the fork but without pictures etc can’t really say. Agree with wwaswas above though, always try and sell frame first in a split or you risk getting left with it on your hands and you need more info and either inline pics, link to pics or pics ready to email.

woodster

I’d say those estimates are a little low in general depending on condition and exact models. Well specced bikes are almost always worth more as parts.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Its 2016 model – bought about a year ago.

Its really low mileage as just not ridden it as much as I should!

The frame has a few marks, but everything is is really good nic. Had its frst service, 3 month, 6 month and years service all done. The forks have not been serviced – mainly down to the low mielage they have done.

chiefgrooveguru

Last whole bike I bought, I stripped the old one, moved compatible old part-worn components (which I knew I liked) across to the new bike, and then sold the new components I thus didn’t need and the old components separately. Worked out pretty well!

I got over £200 for a set of Float 32 140RL which were about four years old and had done 3000 miles! And barely any less for a Soul 26 with slightly more mileage and plenty of battle scars.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve done it, and it worked out for me, the only downside is you’re increasing your chances of dealing with a bellend. But then you could end up selling the bike as a whole to said bellend.

It’s a gamble…

ctk
    Free Member

If your unsure of prices stick on ebay at 99p start. Lots of pics, honest description. You generally get more if you split.

ctk
    Free Member

Also a good way of getting an idea on prices is to search completed items on ebay.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘More money in stripping a bike than selling whole?’ is closed to new replies.