Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • More IT Wierdness… Expertise Required Pls
  • boblo
    Free Member

I’ve just built my W8 lappy after my old W7 one expired recently. All well and good until I tried to set up the old Lynksys parallel port printserver to serve an equally venerable HP1320 Laser printer. All worked fine in W7, but can I get it going? Can I f…errrrr, hell.

I can’t config through the Lynksys software as I simply get a ‘can’t add port’ message even though I can see the printserver in the Lynksys software and when I add a ‘standard’ TCP/IP port in W8, I can’t print. I can ping the printserver and I’ve tried in W7 compatibility mode and as Admin.

I’m a bit stumped now, shades of Vista…. Any suggestions please?

Cougar

Check Linksys’s website, make sure you’re using the latest drivers and firmware?

Cougar

From http://community.linksys.com/t5/Print-Servers/WPS54GU2-and-Windows-7/td-p/337367 – may be a similar issue?

run “setup.exe” from the LinkSys driver “Utility” folder. DO NOT RUN THE SETUP WIZARD!

boblo
    Free Member

Thanks Cougar. Yes I have the latest thought the PS is very old so nothing new has been released for years. I’ve been running setup.exe in the Lynksys directory as suggested, still no joy. Just get a ‘can’t add port’ message. 😐

Cougar

Dunno then, sorry. Last time I set up one of those things was under Windows 98.

Very odd that it worked under W7 but not W8.

woody2000

Not used w8, so this might be bobbins – do you need to run the setup program as an administrator? Right click, run as type of thing?

boblo
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve tried that and my account is set up as an admin account as well…. Grrrrrr, I hate changing PC’s 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘More IT Wierdness… Expertise Required Pls’ is closed to new replies.