Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • More Hope(less) crap
  • fasthaggis

kimbers

fozzybear

I had buckled the wheel in a crash earlier but jumped on it enough to get it straight,but I knew it would fold again- at the instant the photo was taken I was preparing to be launched OTB (which I duly was a few seconds later- steeper than it looks!)
    I think i started out a bit more neutral!

final image to show that
    a) I still finished
    b) I am indeed no lightweight

and to get it back on topic my hope hubs and brakes survived just fine!

ninfan
    Free Member

Where it really excels is in the parts.
    If a seal fails on a M4 it’s pennies.
    Go replace a seal on my current XT brakes… you CAN’T!!

This!

New hope pawl springs, couple of quid
    XT free hub body, thirty quid

sharkattack

Sharkattack – I’m guessing you don’t fit in to the category you describe and are in fact INCREDIBLY AWESOME?

Well you wouldn’t catch me saying it in those exact words.

fozzybear
    Free Member

😀
    Kimbers that inside foot is still down you naughty chap 🙂 can see it’s thrown your weight to your right even on the photo before.

well done on finishing though.
    hope you don’t feel i was having a go just passing observations.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Where it really excels is in the parts.
    If a seal fails on a M4 it’s pennies.
    Go replace a seal on my current XT brakes… you CAN’T!!

but if you’re paying for a mechanic’s time, surely its quicker to change the whole assembly than mess around with fiddly bits.

kimbers

fozzybear, all criticisms greatly received!

dibbs, pay a mechanic??, do it all myself seal – change can easily be done of an evening whilst watching TV, just dont get brake fluid on the sofa!

fozzybear
    Free Member

Kimbers i’m with you there.

why pay a guy to do something like change a seal.
    i’d rather pay £2 to buy a seal than £40 for a new caliper…

maxtorque

sharkattack
    A disproportionate level of mincers (given the MTB community as a whole to be pedantic, argumentative, willy waving, blowhards but possessing a generally widespread ability to actually ride bikes hard and fast) congregate on STW. This is like the retirement home of MTB forums.

Sorry, could you say that again, i had my hearing aid turned off………. 😉

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Hope rear hubs do seem to be far more vulnerable to some types of mud than other. I know half a dozen riders locally who use them and pawl spring and bearing replacement is an annual requirement. The plastic seal between the hub body and the freehub is the weak link, allowing fine grit and water in with the result that the springs rust away and the central bearings fail after the crud finds it’s way past their seals.

My Chris King also requires an annual strip, clean and lube.

Northwind

OK it’s an old saw this but what you can do is buy the absolute cheapest compatible shimano caliper, and get 2 sets of seals for £20 or therabouts, which you can transfer into your more expensive model. And that caliper will also come with spare pistons (and often a bad seal will have a bad piston to go with it due to trapped dirt) and a set of new pads.

So yeah, I wish you could buy Shimano seals, but it’s not a terrible issue, especially when you consider the difference in the initial outlay and the fact that you’re not that likely to have to replace seals in any brake. (I did, but only because I couldn’t face dealing with Dave Hinde for a warranty job in order to save a couple of quid!)

PS, isn’t it funny how people always want to talk about Shimano in Hope unreliability threads? 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

My Pro II hasn’t glitched in the pawls, but some dope I let ride my ‘Pig shifted into both big rings [after I told him my chain was short] and the tension jammed the drive. After managing to lever it apart, the seals on the freehub side drag if I bolt the rear wheel on tight.

Anyone know to how to fix?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

@gofasterstripes, I expect you’ll find your axle is bent.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Shimano in Hope unreliability threads?

I’m just surprised we’ve made 3 pages without reference to how cack avid brakes are (even though they’re not *)

* IMO, YMMV, etc.

AlexSimon

mrmonkfinger – Member

I’m just surprised we’ve made 3 pages without reference to how cack avid brakes are (even though they’re not *)

* IMO, YMMV, etc.
    You’re right! Avid make non-cack cable v-brakes and non-cack cable disk brakes.

rickon
    Free Member

You’re right! Avid make non-cack cable v-brakes and non-cack cable disk brakes.

If you had tried the new Avid Trail X9 or X0 brakes, you would add them to that list, they are immense, bar far the best brake I’ve used.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Cheers, MB

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

vis-a-vis blowhards: Oh the ironing.

So far my Hope Hoops have been fine. But then so have my Superstars. But if someone turns up for a ride complaining about their brakes, they usually turn out to by made by Hope. (saying that, I recently had an SLX brake go from perfect to totally popped in four lever squeezes).

Stuff happens, randomly.

chris_db
    Free Member

And the moral of this story?

“You get what you pay for”….

😉

ononeorange

sharkattack – you are the awesome Smurfhat under a new sign-in and i claim my £5.

robdob
    Free Member

A snapped seat QR on my Inbred (My brother had the same happen) which Brant kindly replaced for free with an On One CNC QR which is still going strong over 5 years later.

To be fair to Hope it was only the collar that snapped and that was because the bike shop at Glentress recommended and sold me the wrong size one. Tightening a 29.8mm collar onto a 30mm tube isn’t a great idea. They still replaced it with a new one which was fine and stayed with the bike when it was sold. The first one was bought to replace the On-One QR which snapped while at Glentress!!
    Have a Hope QR on my new bike and it’s been faultless, and it gets used a lot.

Never had a problem with Hope Minis and would have considered Hope again if Shimano brakes weren’t so cheap.
    My Hope XC hubs were brilliant and so have my best mates whose had his running for many many yards now. Pro2’s have been fine so far, only replaced gritty bearings with some SKF ones.
    Hope Bashguard is ace
    Just bought a Hope BB too!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

and so have my best mates whose had his running for many many yards now.

not exactly a testament to long life, is it?

robdob
    Free Member

Argh!! Comedy autocorrect error. 🙂 yards=years!!

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘More Hope(less) crap’ is closed to new replies.