More HiFi – Brennan players

Home Forum Chat Forum More HiFi – Brennan players

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • More HiFi – Brennan players
  • Premier Icon stever
    Subscriber

Whilst we’re on, has anyone used one of these brennan hard-drive/amp/cd combos? http://www.brennan.co.uk Any thoughts?

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

no idea, but the picture of Mr Brennan in the back of every issue of the Private Eye makes him look like an annoying, self-satisfied bstard. And for that reason, I’m out. 😀

Conqueror

Prices are eye-watering for the storage you get…

You could this kind of thing streaming from a NAS

lobby_dosser

olive
    i’m with stoner. I’d like to demo one and the Olive version.

Everywhen

Expensive for what it is IMO, basically an iPod for people who don’t have computer.
    Rips the CD to mp3 (by default) but has to have the CD database updated manually by CD from Brennan, at least it would be half-way useful if it connected to Gracenotes by the internet.

cynic-al

itunes/ipod touch as remote/lossless/airport express/decent dac with full DNM pre-power and some CUBs?

The fact that Brennan is in the likes of the Times with his stupid face in a stupid photograph, and not in any hi fi shops (I think, I’m probably completely wrong) says it all to me.

dazzlingboy

the picture of Mr Brennan in the back of every issue of the Private Eye makes him look like an annoying, self-satisfied bstard. And for that reason, I’m out.

+1 😀

geetee1972

basically an iPod for people who don’t have computer.

Except that it has a built in amplifier which is why it looks expensive.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

and Id add, he looks like he’s the kind of guy who would continue to flog old tech without making any effort to keep up with developments all the time trying to live off past the past glory of a solidly engineered bit of kit in its hayday, like Bose radios with 6 FM channels and no DAB for years and years.

cynic-al

Bose, B&O etc should not be called hi fi.

Premier Icon phinbob
    Subscriber

Take a look at the Cambridge Sonata and iPod solution. Works pretty well for us and sounds *nearly* as good as the old hi-fi system.

lobby_dosser

why not B&O?

Premier Icon stever
    Subscriber

It’s not quite the same as an iPod though is it. They don’t normally come with 60W amplifiers. Factor the cost of a big iPod, nice docking station and remember it still plays normal CDs, the price starts to look less speculative. The database update thing looks quite clunky, downloadable would be nice, wi-fi would be nice but then it starts to turn into a different product.

I’m not going to make a judgement on his face/haircut/future plans. I mean I’d love a Cotic Soul, but it’s not like I want to go out with Cy or anything. Anyone heard one?

cynic-al

Don’t offer good sonic value for money George!

(so I’m told) Anyway it’s a lifestyle product rather than proper hifi which has to look dreadful and be awkawrd to use!

lobby_dosser

i’m working with a couple of ex B&O guys just now & they rate the high end active speakers. One of them was involved in a lot of blind testing of them during development and he said B&O speakers (with ten-bob wiring) whooped other manufacturers.
    But they do cost a fair wee bit though.

But I agree, proper hi fi should look like it’s been built in a shed with excess parts from Maplins.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘More HiFi – Brennan players’ is closed to new replies.