Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • More help needed – this time with stretching
  • sc-xc

Does anyone know of a good guide to stretches? I am not particularly flexible, and want to build a day of stretches/flexibility work into my regular programme.

I stretch muscle groups before exercise, but could do with something a bit mew focussed. Would it be pilates or yoga? Or just a load of stretching?

Cheers

sodafarls
    Free Member

I stretch my muscle daily utilising the traditional method.

stumpy01

I've got a book called 'stretching' by Bob Anderson and it's got tons of erm, stretches in it.
    You could use that to make your own routine up.

Or find a local yoga instructor who isn't into the 'lay down & fart' style of yoga, but a more active type of yoga and learn a few specific stretches.
    I find yoga good for just relaxing in general, and it's more interesting than normal stretching as you move from one move to another & have to concentrate on balance, posture etc.

nonk
    Free Member

get yourself a foam roll (hard cylindrical foam thing)
    bloody great.like a deep massage but you do it yourself.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yoga? Sod that. Google "doggcrapp training".

sodafarls
    Free Member

"get yourself a foam roll (hard cylindrical foam thing)
    bloody great.like a deep massage but you do it yourself."

I use that method too, with a hot waterbottle insert. Works a treat

sc-xc

I saw that foam roll in a magazine….cheers, I'll give it a go.

sweepy
    Free Member

foam rolls are good, yoga, if you find the right instructor is fantastic for stretching as stumpy says

jedi

barry bethal, on my site is a link to a great yoga teacher. £5 a sesh iirc

Trekster

have a look at bikeradar. stretching done this week.
    I am going to get one of these. Have done a 1hr intro and it was ace.

Pieface

Don't stretch before exercise. It has no proven benefit and increases the risk of injury.

Do it only after you've warmed up thoroughly or after exercise. Apparently evening is best.

stumpy01

Yeah – I've got a foam roll & it's good for massaging/unknotting certain muscles, but I wouldn't say it was a substitute for stretching/yoga.

antigee

stumpy01 – Member
    I've got a book called 'stretching' by Bob Anderson

a good thing about the Bob Anderson book is that though full of stretches has some quick sport specific routines drawn out and even a guide to the essential if you've not much time

i've never managed to find a good stretching dvd though – would like to as hope would mean would actually spend the time rather than rush

crazant
    Free Member

Don't stretch before exercise. It has no proven benefit and increases the risk of injury.

Do it only after you've warmed up thoroughly or after exercise. Apparently evening is best.

The ex who has been a Personal trainer for 10yrs always told me think of your muscles as chewing gum..

Stretch when cold and they might snap
    Stretch when warm and they are more pliable..

Lionheart
    Free Member

"I've got a book called 'stretching' by Bob Anderson and it's got tons of erm, stretches in it.
    You could use that to make your own routine up."

One of the best out there and well worth getting

surfer
    Free Member

That would be my advice also. There is actually conflicting data that indicates that stretching (before or after) provides any benefits at all. Despite this I find stretching after exercise is best for me. (running)
    Start your activity gently instead.

nick1c
    Free Member

Iyengar yoga does it for me. Try an old tennis ball instead of the foam roller for the smaller areas.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘More help needed – this time with stretching’ is closed to new replies.