• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by IA.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • more durable rear mudguard than crudcatcher?
  • sideshow
    Free Member

I seem to have lost my rear mudguard… going to have to buy a new one (then knowing how these things go I’ll find it again)

Crudcatcher was alright though after a while got annoyingly rattly where the swingarm joined the actual mudguard, so I was always bodging it with rubber bands/glue/duct tape.

Does it get any better than that in terms of durability or should I just see these things as disposable?

captaincarlos

I’ve not fitted it yet, but I’ve just taken delivery of a Mudhugger, and it seems very robust – thick plastic, and flexible enough not to be brittle.
    It’s a different way of fitting compared to many, so it may or may not work well for you, but it certainly looks robust.

jameso

got annoyingly rattly where the swingarm joined the actual mudguard,

Tried a Crud rear after years of using Cycra rears. The rattle started after a few weeks but was fixed this weekend with a bit of folded inner tube in that slot area, jams it nicely. Otherwise all good.

100mphplus
    Free Member

I can recommend the Mudhugger too.
    It’s got a bit of a ‘marmite’ look about it but it certainly functions better than any other mudguard I’ve ever used before.

sideshow
    Free Member

So how to crud/cycra compare for durability?

Mudhugger looks nice alas 29er version isn’t out yet

widge34
    Free Member

Yep. Mudhugger here too

jameso

So how to crud/cycra compare for durability?

Cycras lasted well for me but eventually the pivoted part of the bracket wore and failed – a good few 1000 miles on a rigid bike though. The Crud rattled annoyingly after about 40.. but is easily fixed. The clip part of the rear crud fender moulding isn’t a great design imo, the plastic just bends and fails, but once fitted with a bit of innertube to jam it all up it shouldn’t be an issue.

billytinkle
    Free Member

I’ve found the Topeak Defender M2 to be tough enough. No rattles, breaks or issues. I like the quick release too.

IHN

I too have rattly Crudcatcher that is on it’s last bodge before the bin.

Just had a look at the Mudhugger – they look like they’d clog up really easily as they leave bugger all clearance around the tyre.

I’d wager they’d be useless in somewhere like the Cotswolds (from bitter experience) or anywhere else with proper claggy sticky mud.

muddy247
    Free Member

DONT buy a Mucky Nutz butt fender- the front/swing arm fender is great but the butt fender is a waste if time!

Northwind

Find an older Crudcatcher, if you can, they did make the best mtb mudguards. The current one is fine as long as you remove the bolt, machine it down,drill out the middle then fit a steel nut and bolt through it, and also weld the arm onto the blade. Easy!

project
    Free Member

Dirt monkey from halfords, quite a lot of adjustment and just fitted da rear facing camera to the arm.

PhilO
    Free Member

Just had a look at the Mudhugger – they look like they’d clog up really easily as they leave bugger all clearance around the tyre.

I’d wager they’d be useless in somewhere like the Cotswolds (from bitter experience) or anywhere else with proper claggy sticky mud.

You might think that, but mine worked fine in a mixture of Chilterns clay and gravel that stopped at least one other rider’s (mudguard-free) rear wheel from turning.

The only limitation I’ve found with the Mudhugger is that coverage varies a bit with seat stay angle. It worked fantastically well out the box on my 456, but when I swapped it to a Nicolai Helius the lower seat stays meant I still got a wet bum… A small mud flap to extend it cured that, though.

james
    Free Member

“butt fender is a waste if time! “
    I thought mine was okay (ie It did slightly more than nothing) when sat down, but in the real world I ride out the saddle (with the saddle down) some of the time, at which point it doesn’t stop spray from hitting my shorts

In the end it developed a small split, and not long after it fell off somewhere in Calderdale. It did get in the way a little when moving about behind the saddle, but not so much that it was a problem, well apart from that’s probably why it fell off

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve found the Topeak Defender M2 to be tough enough

Really? I had a couple of those and found the QR completely useless – incapable of being tight enough to stop it swinging around off road. Fine on a commuter bike. Off road I bodged with inner tube and a jubilee clip.

Cycra have better coverage than Crud IME, hard to break and seem to last well. Mine is now a bit loose at the pivot but not a problem.

Like the look of the mudhugger – the closer something sits to the tyre the better it will work

theotherjonv

rattly crudcatcher here. I drilled two small holes either side of the arm-blade mount so I can fit a cable tie around it and hold it all nice and tight. No rattles now.

sideshow
    Free Member

Topeak defender – I just twigged that I used to have one of those. Like simons said the QR was rubbish and eventually broke. I just “found”
    the rest of the defender attached to the back of my commute bike with zip ties – so it’s been there a few years and clearly the bit of plastic works at being a bit of plastic (how hard can it be right), but avoid because it’s a bit rubbish without the clamp.

IA

. I drilled two small holes either side of the arm-blade mount so I can fit a cable tie around it and hold it all nice and tight. No rattles now.

Well that’s this evening’s entertainment sorted for me….cheers for the tip.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘more durable rear mudguard than crudcatcher?’ is closed to new replies.