More computer woes :(

Home Forum Chat Forum More computer woes :(

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • More computer woes :(
  • Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

Have you tried other sockets?
    Is it a laptop?
    Have you got antivirus running?

My initial guess is a faulty USB socket driving-chip-type thing [perhaps caused by a faulty device damaging it].

If it’s a desktop the answer may be to buy a PCI or PCIE to USB adaptor card [cheap], but first let’s cross off some potential causes/alternate solutions.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Try other USB sockets.

Check to see the USB sockets some or plugged into the motherboard others soldered, you can get PCI cards with USB plugs on one of them may work.

jambourgie

Thanks for the replies.

It’s a desktop. No antivirus (It’s not connected to the interwebz)

I’ve tried every USB port, front and back. As well as the PS2 port.

PCI card sounds like a plan.

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers for the usb controllers via device manager?

jambourgie

I’ll open it up to check connections. But everything else connected works, Keyboard, External HD etc.

jambourgie

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers for the usb controllers via device manager?

No, I’ll try that before I open it up. Thanks.

Was it a clean install of Win7 when you got it?It might be worth reinstalling Win7 in case the drivers have become corrupted.

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

You have several other devices using USB and it’s only the mouse flippin’ out??

jambourgie

Right, so seeing as this forum has been so damn efficient at sorting out previous problems, here’s the latest tale of computer woe…

A while back I bought a refurbished PC with Windows 7 pre-installed. For about two weeks all was good, and then it began: The mouse kept freezing intermittently. It makes that noise like you’ve disconnected it and reconnected. If you have device manager open while it’s doing it, the list of devices keeps refreshing, just like it’s found a new device.
    The problem will either go away after a while, or remain until you get so frustrated you turn the PC off, or it will stop functioning entirely and a little pop-up box will say that a USB device has malfuncioned. You then have to physically reconnect it. Whereupon it may or may not present with the same problem. The annoying thing is that it’s so random I can’t track down the problem.

At first I tried using an PS2 adaptor, same problem. Then I thought the mouse could be buggered, so tested it in another computer and it’s fine. I then borrowed another mouse from a mate just to be sure. At first I thought I’d cracked it as all was good for a couple of days, but then, alas, it all started again.

So like I say, it seems to be almost random. At the moment it’s fine, happens once every now and then. But earlier it was going crazy, like I was connecting and disconnecting it furiously 😕

No other problems apart from this. Needless to say it’s maddeningly frustrating.

Any ideas?

jambourgie

Quite.

I’ve nearly punched the monitor/torn the mouse out on a number of occasions.

Getting sick of shouting “FOR F*CKSAKES”

Premier Icon oldnpastit
    Subscriber

The most unreliable part of modern PCs seems to be the PSU, as that’s where there are lots of capacitors that should be expensive, but probably aren’t, and there’s lots of heat and dust flying around.

So you could try swapping the PSU, or at least checking the voltages with a voltmeter.

It’s also possible you’ve got some important bit of metal has got stuck under the PCB and is quietly shorting something out.

Subscriber

^^^sounds good. Pick it up and shake it?

jambourgie

I’m gonna fix it with my lump-hammer and go and live in a cave.

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

PC problems magically disappear when you stand over the machine with a four pound hardened steel item to hand looking menacing. It’s like they are aware!

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

How old is it and what is the warranty problems after 2 weeks equals return.

bigyinn

Have you tried turning it off and then back on again?

Premier Icon kerbdog
    Subscriber

I had a similar problem with my last pc running win7, i tired a new Mouse, new RAM and changed the power supply. I updated all drivers and the mother boards bios to no avail.
    I bought a new mother board and swopped all my parts over and hey presto problem solved.

jambourgie

It seems to be a fairly common problem. According to google. Everyone seems to have a different solution though. I’ve tried loads of things but nothing’s worked yet. One solution was to enter msconfig, and make sure the correct number of CPU cores was checked under the boot tab. I thought this had worked , like when I changed the mouse, it seemed to be fine for a few days but then starts playing up again.

If I can’t find a solution I’m gonna open it up and check for bad caps/dodgy connections etc.

😡

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I bought a new mother board and swopped all my parts over and hey presto problem solved.

‘s what I’d be leaning towards as well I think.

You could try making sure you’ve got the latest chipset drivers on there, but it sounds broke to me.

Subscriber

PCI/PCIE USB card is much cheaper, might still be worth trying 1st?

How dirty is it inside?

What temp does the CPU get up to when running?

Before scrapping the M/B/PSU/whatever i’d be making sure its spotless inside. Dust plays havoc and can show up more now the central heating has gone on for some people. It raises the ambient temps and can cause a myriad of issues.

People with Cats and Dogs take note….Dust kills Puters!!!

I’d also be trying another operating system on there to make sure its not Windows itself being screwed. Many Linux distro’s can be booted off a USB stick and wont install but give you a fully operational desktop environment which, if you have fault hardware, will also show the same signs of USB’s giving up etc.

zzjabzz

What happened when you used the mouse with the ps2 interface?

As in straight to the ps2 port rather than a usb adapter…

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

woooaaaahh !
    try some of the other basic stuff before going to that 😯

bigyinn

I know, its kind of a radical approach.
    USD PCI car would be worth a punt, as they’re pretty cheap.
    Actually if its a PS2 mouse, why not just use the PS2 port on the MB (assuming it has one obviously, otherwise ignore), rather than USB?

(The off/on comment was meant firmly tongue in cheek!)

Subscriber

jambourgie

Heat may be an issue. I now remember that I tinkered under the hood to soup it up. I use it as a music production PC. Now that I think about it, it only really happens when I’m working. IE, making music, heavy load on the PC. it rarely happens when I’m just pootling round the OS, sorting stuff etc. But then that may just be that I am usually using the PC for that purpose, and moving the mouse about more etc.

Nah, it’s a USB mouse, but I’ve got one of those little USB to PS2 adaptors. The problem’s still there whatever so it isn’t that.

Might try reinstalling Windows (Yawn), or putting XP on it.

devs

2 things first. Switch off and disconnect power for 10 mins or so. Sounds strange but USB is not reset properly unless you do this.
    BIOS update.
    Wot the others said about heat.
    Chkdsk
    I’m also not convinced it’s not the mouse. New one from Tesco £3.

jambourgie

You’d think it was the mouse wouldn’t you. But I’ve got two (same make, different models) and they both work fine in my other machine (laptop for whingeing on bike forums)

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

it’s a USB mouse, but I’ve got one of those little USB to PS2 adaptors. The problem’s still there whatever so it isn’t that.

Just so we’re clear, it’s the little (usually green) adapter with a USB socket, so you can plug a USB mouse into a PS/2 port, yes?

That makes no sense, as a) PS/2 and USB are electrically different buses, and b) PS/2 isn’t plug and play, so unless I’m very much mistaken it’s not possible to ba-dink in and out like a dodgy USB device could. If a PS/2 mouse failed, you’d have to reboot to get it picked up again.

Wind back a bit here. What symptoms are you seeing when you’re using that adapter?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Something else you could try incidentally, is a Linux LiveCD. Boot into Linux, see if it’s still problematic. Could be a rebuild will fix it.

jambourgie

Cougar/

Yes, the little green thing.

You’re right, that shouldn’t happen. It was initially in the PS2 slot (via adaptor) when the problem started. But It’s been such a tedious journey I now can’t remember exactly when and how it began. It probably just kept hanging, forcing reboots.

I suspect removing the mouse, noticing the adaptor and thinking ‘what’s the point in that’ and removing it, was probably one of the first things I did.

I could put the adaptor back on, plug it into the PS2 port and see what happens. Although, it’s been good today so maybe I should let sleeping dogs lie?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘More computer woes :(’ is closed to new replies.