Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • more central heating woes
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

With some decorating coming up I decided to move a radiator to a better location in my room. The previous rad had never worked properly, I’d always assumed it was blocked (was a fairly old rad) so it was a good reason to improve the location and get rid of what I thought was a fault rad.

-Installed the new rad / lockshield & TRV and I’ve struggled to get the rad working properly.

After closing off all other rads in the system to remove what I thought was an airlock I’m 99% certain the rad is plumbed in series off the rad in the adjacent room (would have ‘made sense’ as they did share the same wall)

With every rad in the house closed bar the two plumbed in series I was finally getting some (although not a lot) heat to the new rad.

When I open up the other rad’s in the house I’m losing all flow to the new radiator (2nd in the series and the last rad on the heating circuit)

I’m resigned to re-plumbing correctly to the main feed/return – before do I have any other options / or anything I’ve missed in my fault diagnosis!?

I’m getting frustrated!

Thanks.

mikedabear
    Free Member

If the problem rads are full of water then they need balancing.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

If the problem rads are full of water then they need balancing.

That’s when the new rad fails (not receiving any flow) – when I open up the other Rads on the lock shields (1/4 turn at a time) I lose all flow to the new radiator.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

checking the obvious – have you opened the lock shield on the other rad in series? 🙂

mikedabear
    Free Member

Have you the flow and return valves on the correct pipes? Try starting the balancing from the furthest rad from the boiler/pump

thekingisdead
    Free Member

“checking the obvious – have you opened the lock shield on the other rad in series? “

Yup, wide open

“Have you the flow and return valves on the correct pipes? Try starting the balancing from the furthest rad from the boiler/pump”

Flow / return pipes correct (bi directional TRV so have checked and checked again it’s correct

The rad I can’t get working is the furthest from the boiler – also the 2nd of the two Rads In series

mikedabear
    Free Member

You don’t want the lock shields wide open. Close them all. Start with the furthest. Open the flow fully and open the return 1/4 turn untill uniformly warm. Then move on 1 rad at a time. The Trv may be uni directional but it is best practice to have the lockshield on the return.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Cheers Mike.

Yes I have the lock shield on the return.

Thanks for everyone’s input

mikedabear
    Free Member

Any joy?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘more central heating woes’ is closed to new replies.