More car tyre chat – old tyres rubbish in wet, any solution?

Home Forum Chat Forum More car tyre chat – old tyres rubbish in wet, any solution?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • More car tyre chat – old tyres rubbish in wet, any solution?
  • retro83

Buy some part-worns of a top brand with more tread depth than your front tyres.

cynic-al

Hello all, the rear tyres on my Smart are ****-knows how old, and ropey in the wet. I was about to replace them but as I’ll be flogging the car in Spring, would prefer to avoid spending 6% of the car’s value on it if I can (I am having to buy other stuff too).

Is there a solution…sanding down the tread to get past the outer/dry layer? (like you do repairing an inner tube).

TIA

cynic-al

Cheers, sadly my fronts are brand new!

Put them on the front and give them a good scrubbing?

cynic-al

Different sizes…rears are about to celebrate their 10th birthday 😀

P-Jay

They’ll be knackered then – aren’t smarts RWD?

Get on Blackcircles or the like and find some new ones – they have a rating for wet weather grip.

Pah, my Land Rover tyres were 20 this year.

What are they? 145×15?

TurnerGuy

We put some cheap Korean tyres on my wifes car and they were actually pretty excellent, and had a deep tread as well. Way better int he wet than the previous Bridgestones.

You will regret skimping on those tyres if you loose control and have an accident and possibly injure someone because of your tightwadedness…

cynic-al

I am looking for safe tyres, but good value!

205/50 15 – I got Uniroyal Rainsport 3s on the front. Brother recommending kumho

EDIT seems R3’s are £78, kumhos £72, but I can get a B rated wet weather tyre for £47 from Asda…

205?! That seems massive for such a small car.

I had a set of Rainsport 3 in 195/50×15 on my Corrado and hated them, soft, wobbly things they were. I then got a set of 3A P606, cheaper but handled and wore much better.

EDIT: 3A’s were about £35 each fitted.

TurnerGuy

If you are anywhere near these guys they are excellent and very good prices :

http://martins-tyres.co.uk/

There tyres we fitted were Nexens

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Pah, my Land Rover tyres were 20 this year.

Tyres don’t last forever. Ask a caravanner. I would not drive on tyres that old unless they’d been stored inside.

UV and ozone degrade them. 7-8 years is the max you should be keeping them even if they have good tread.

hols2

old tyres rubbish in wet, any solution?

Don’t drive in the wet.

It’s not actually used on the road and probably never will be again. I bought the tyres about five years ago on rims that had been in a shed for years. They looked good but within a couple of years of being on my car they were cracking and perishing. I’ve got trailer tyres that are similarly knackered yet have tread.

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

I *think* I have Rainsports or something similar on the Octavia, on the rear. TBH I’d not get them again, they are really squirmy and not that good in the wet, either al. See previous tyre threads – trail_rat also felt they were sub-optimal IIRC.

mrmonkfinger

is “do some doughnuts” an acceptable answer?

trail_rat

i no longer have them KCal….. despite them being in better nick and newer than those on the berlingo of doom i opted to let them leave with the van have had ditch finders that handled better.

cynic-al

hols2 – Member

Don’t drive in the wet.[/quote]
    Dont tell me, you’re here all week, try the fish? 🙄

cynic-al

I just went for Uniroyals in the end, will hopefully pay off in driving and selling.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.