Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • more bike theft in GHreat Moor, Stockport
  • MartynS

Garage has a big hole in the roof, shed door ripped off its hinges. Bikes that are chained to ground anchors are still there but stripped of forks, wheels, seatposts etc

it was just the bikes they were after, loads of other stuff was untouched.

Don’t really know the full extent of whats gone yet, waiting for the police to come round.

must have happened sometime after Wednesday morning and this afternoon.

just gutted, there are no other words.

I just feel really horrid now

wwaswas

I’m becoming more wary about even buying 2nd hand kit on here now and have stopped going on ebay.

Too many bikes/bits being nicked and moved on.

What can you do when they’re prepared to strip a bike down in your garage in order to nick stuff 🙁

therealhoops
    Free Member

what an arsepain! Hope the little squits die slowly.

yours, worried of Edgeley

binners

Bloody hell mate! That’s absolutely crap news. Gutted for you!!

carlos
    Free Member

Gutted for you mate. Don’t know whats worse, taking some parts or taking the whole bike. Fecker’s need a kicking either way. I had one taken 3yrs ago and I’m still paranoid about it now even though we’ve since moved house.

Hope you get everything sorted smoothly as possible

MarkN
    Free Member

Terrible news. Good luck with the old bill. Lets hope they get a result.
    Not sure what else you could have done to have stopped them if that helps. They knew what was there and came prepared to get it.

matther01
    Free Member

Been hearing a lot of folks being followed home from trails and such to be robbed.

My mate recently moved to York and had 6k of bikes nicked from his garage too.

Police reckoned cyclists are actively being targeted a bit like car thieves now.

Hopefully you’re insured, but doesn’t get rid of the feeling of being violated and it happening again.

All best mate.

project
    Free Member

I drive from Wrexham about once a week and see lovely bikes on show on the roof of a car, the cars are usually driven like nutters at over the speed limit, just incase somebody is following them i suppose.

Alos ive been saying for years reinforce the roof, cover windows, and fit an alarm that works.

Builders band screwed to the underside of the roof, along with non drying paint under the eaves, bolts through the hinges and locks, reinforce trhe frame of door and door on the inside, fit security lights.

All available from http://www.Toolstation.com.or http://www.screwfix.com.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Gutted for you. Another worried Sth Manc rider.

andrewrchambers
    Free Member

That is terrible. Hope the police find something.

I live in South Manchester as well. Makes me wonder about pressing the buy button on new gear…

excitable1
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve been done by a known gang operating in the area.

I know someone in the area who had been done in exactly the same way I.E. hole through the garage roof. The worrying thing is they had obviously been watching him to know exactly what kit to go in the garage with to get through the chains etc.

There may even be a possibility they followed him from his LBS in Cheadle.

banks
    Free Member

Ffs, thats 4 done in the same way in the past week.

All I can hope is that the dog sounds massive & angry.

geedub16
    Free Member

What a bastad ! I am local near great moor and this got a mate who just had his bike nicked from his garage while he was away on holiday

portlyone

That’s just crap. Like I told solarpowered if you need a loaner let me know.

Duggan

I’m South Manchester based and it is utterly staggering the amount of times I keep hearing the same thing now- bikes nicked out of garages, sheds, followed home etc.

There’s got to be several well organised gangs specifically targeting bikes judging by the amount it’s happening.

Bunnyhop

Gutted for you Martyn.
    You know you’re welcome to borrow mr bh’s bike anytime.

What can we do?
    It’s getting almost impossible to have something of any value and the gits who steal these bikes don’t care that it’s more than money to us.
    These bikes are our hobby even a lifestyle in some cases.

Even hearing about thieves breaking into homes and finding bikes in kitchens etc.

theshrike
    Free Member

I had my shed broken into last monday night they took my bikes and
    left everything else there, the came through a neighbours garden and removed my fence
    panels to get into my garden, cut the padlocks off, unscrewed my anchor bolts. cut my locks off and
    away they went

The most annoying thing is someone had been in my garden on multiple times and i just
    thought they were trying to nick my metal fence posts, which had been removed a few times.

The have obviously been watching my house which has really freaked me out.

MartynS

So I’m now at the point of having had the insurance value what went.. I have new for old with m and s.. It looks like they are coming up seriously short on the value of stuff. What if anything can I do..

Asked to see the list of like for like they have used to value stuff which hasn’t yet appeared, this has all been horrid enough but if I’m ending up massively out of pocket I’ll be a bit cheesed off…

scaled
    Free Member

Crap!

Only just picked up on this mate, that’s terrible news.

Drop me an email if you need any bits, I’ve got pretty much a whole bike minus a frame sat in the shed doing nothing apart from getting in the way.

Coincidentally i’ve got a load of roofing felt that’s getting in the way too if that’s any use!

cuberider
    Free Member

Really sorry to hear this. Seems it’s open season on the bike crime front. Let’s see what the police achieve 😥

bammy
    Free Member

Gutted for you. Hope you get it sorted soon!

Lets be honest the police do nothing, they will rock up give you a crime number and that’s the last you will see of them.
    When was the last time you saw a copper on the beat? Where I live we don’t even have real police just community support officers, one of my neighbours has been broken into 4 times this year alone, they are always after the same thing……………bikes!
    From a fellow (angry)Stockport resident.

iainc

I have new for old with m and s.. It looks like they are coming up seriously short on the value of stuff. What if anything can I do..

surely if you have a list of what they took, you can get a reputable bike shop to do a priced list of all the parts and pass to insurers ?

MartynS

turns out the guy I spoke to missed a section of the spread sheet..
    I’m dealing with wheelies direct for the insurance and need to have a bit of a discussion.. they think RS Sektors are a direct replacement for Fox vanilla qr15 rlc for a start..

MartynS

oh
    Theshrike..

really sorry for you.
    Its the fact I was watched or followed home that bothers me. There is without question a gang working in the South Manchester area who are really clued up on MTB stuff.
    It is either being stolen to order or being sold on somewhere. I’ve got my eye on the usual places, ebay, gumtree and I have to be honest the for sale forum here and various other MTB websites/forums. This stuff has to be somewhere.

The police are absolutely useless. I am going to be making a real pain of myself over the next few months to try to get any sort of presence in the area (good luck with that..) However the local inspector, Councillor, and when they have been elected the police commissioner will all be asked what the division is doing about cycle crime. I know I’m weeing in the wind with this but it makes me feel slightly better…

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I feel for you. I also had a bike stolen from my Garden shed last weekend while I was away. I’m convinced it was someone local who saw me load up the car with my stuff for the weekend. Not a nice feeling!

If you’re anything like me, it’s not the loss of the kit but the feeling of intrusion that is unnerving.

Wheelies direct? A friend had 2 bikes nicked recently and they recommended a high end carbon hardtail to replace a natty ally hardtail… you should be ale to get cash if you push the insurance company.

Rod

B@stards…. We’ve had a couple of near misses, but it would be gutting (even if insured).

With Wheelies, just persevere and you’ll get there in the end!

Rod

I think it’s been said elsewhere on the forum (in the last week or two amongst other occasions), but if Wheelies can’t provide a like-for-like replacement then you should be able to request the full cash value (otherwise the cash alternative will be reduced slightly – around 20% versus the replacement value).

Onzadog
    Free Member

Gutted for you mate. Not a nice feeling and it’s much much more than the cost of the bike that cuts deep.

I hope you do make a pain of yourself with the police. It might not change things, but the one thing to be certain of is that if you don’t, you know nothing will change.

Maybe if the market didn’t exist, the thefts would stop. Maybe nothing should be sold on here without the original sales receipt.

chakaping
    Free Member

Had mine nicked from the garage this year and I think I’d be even more angry if the **** toerags had had the nerve to sit in there stripping the bikes down rather than just taking them whole.

I found Wheelies valuation very fair, but getting hold of them massively aggravating.

If I was settling my claim again I wouldn’t take a bike from them but the cash settlement, as gettign after-service from Swansea from a company so shit at answering the phone is not ideal.

Just thought I’d share. Email me if you want more info from someone who’s recently been through the process.

bland

You can get a quotation from two shops and send that in for a cash alternative with M & S, just make sure you get full RRP on the quote, new for old etc on the quote. Wheelies havent a clue, they do too many bikes for insurance companies to be arsed about ordering bits and bats, just take the cash!

There are a few posts recently about it on here, maybes search for wheelies and it will bring loads of threads up about it.

Totally agree with it getting out of hand though, and people please think twice before carrying bikes on the outside of your car, get them inside under a sheet – out of sight, out of mind has always been my motto!

bellys
    Free Member

Gutted for you…had mine stolen from reddish a cpl of weeks back, there f@cking scum.

Last year I was followed home from a night ride seen a silver car driving slow behind me.
    Took them on a detour they followed me to the local woods I can out round the back of them and made it home could not see the car,,,two days later I get home from work and bikes were gone…

bellys
    Free Member

Disagree with the comments over wheelies they were great with me…ordered my bike, a command post and lights, took a week for it to turn up. But every thing I asked for I got.

theshrike
    Free Member

The problem is that they know you will replace the bikes – and at some point come and get them again,
    i dont relish the idea of keeping my bikes in the house – incase they try to break in, or living in
    Fort Knox –

myheadsashed

Sorry to here about your bikes 😥

Can I ask what was your garage roof constructed of?

nbt

he was done over a few mnonths ago, this was the return visit 🙁

willber
    Free Member

I dont know what you can do to stop this happening………its horrendous. Thieves aren’t stupid, they’ve twigged the fact that we’re basically in possession of high value items that are:

a) very difficult to store securely
    b) very difficult to trace once stolen

I dont know what you have to do these days. In relation to the police not being interested etc. What do people think they can actually do anyway? Unless the theft is witnessed or some decent forensic evidence is left – the police’s options are non-existent.

If anything at all was possible – what would the STW Massive suggest as the best way to tackle bike theft? Ive given this a lot of thought myself, and really dont see how it can be stopped or even reduced.

MartynS

Can I ask what was your garage roof constructed of?

asbestos..

chakaping
    Free Member

what would the STW Massive suggest as the best way to tackle bike theft?

Death squads.

MrAgreeable

If anything at all was possible – what would the STW Massive suggest as the best way to tackle bike theft? Ive given this a lot of thought myself, and really dont see how it can be stopped or even reduced.

1. Don’t use your posh MTB as an everyday bike.

2. D-lock not cable lock, always.

3. Underground car parks and communal bike stores should be treated as being as secure as locking your bike up on the street.

4. Don’t leave your bike on display, such as on the car roofrack.

5. If you keep your bike in a garage or shed, make sure it’s as secure as possible.

6. If your garage gets burgled, start keeping your bikes in the house.

7. Don’t use eBay or other anonymous websites to buy bike parts. It doesn’t matter if someone has 100% feedback and can spell, unless it has an original receipt there’s no way of showing it is rightfully theirs.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘more bike theft in GHreat Moor, Stockport’ is closed to new replies.