Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • moral/MTFU dilemma? – Center Parcs or L2B?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

We’ve just celebrated my parents 30th wedding anniversary and as a treat we’ve been gifted a couple days in Centre Parcs (all immediate family).

So, we leave this afternoon for some R&R, along with my finacee and 2yo son..however, I stupidly double booked myself for the London 2 Brighton this sunday..

My parents genuinely seemed to express no qualms with me leaving saturday night on my own, in order to get to Clapham for 7am on sunday.
    My fiancee initially thought I was out of order for suggesting to leave early, but appears to be coming round to the idea.

In essence i’d only be missing a few hours at CP on the sunday.

But then there’s the heavy rain forecast for sunday.. and i’d also have to ride to and from Center Parcs on my motorbike (probably in the rain the evening) in order to leave the Mrs with our car..

But I really wan’t to climb Ditchling this year..

In your least possible cutting response, what would you do?

vinnyeh

But I really wan’t to climb Ditchling this year..

If this is going to be one of the highlights of your year, or you haven’t managed to complete it before, then go.

oddjob
    Free Member

I hope you’re asking on some family based forum as well to get a balanced view 😉

slimjim78
    Free Member

😀 good points

soobalias
    Free Member

But I really wan’t to climb Ditchling this year

what in a big slow crowd of ‘cyclists’

hey if that floats yer boat go for it, personally i would sell your L2B place and have a relaxed sunday morning with your family

wwaswas

Family come first.

You can ride L2B any Sunday.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

I’d ditch the london 2 brighton, personally.
    You’ll go through massive effort getting to centre parks and then more effort having to leave early yourself. I’d say just go and enjoy it — and you’ll score some points with your fiancee too — not to be underestimated.

mt
    Free Member

Family first in this instance

the-muffin-man

Family come first.

You can ride L2B any Sunday.

+1

nathaneddy
    Free Member

I’m touched by this out pouring of fatherly responsibility on STW.

slimjim78
    Free Member

me too – i’m already decided – i’m staying with my family.
    thanks guys.

I should possibly add that part of the reason for wanting to ride it was added training for getting in to as good shape as possible for my wedding in July.

But nevermind, ill put some money to the BHF and raise double next year. (have raised over £1000 for BHF in recent years) and enjoy my time this weekend.

convert

L2B – very very meh

Do the family time. You can do this sort of ride any day of week but family time is flipping important.

Disclaimer – having lost my father a few weeks ago, my family centric bias is strong at the moment – normal ride-at-all-cost-sod-the-family service will be resumed shortly.

Edric64
    Free Member

Family first this time .Earn some brownie points .Look upon it as a donation to the heart foundation anyway then ride Ditchling on a nice quiet day and take in the views peacefully

ratherbeintobago

I am evidently going to have to pass up this year’s Rossendale & Pendle Mountain Rescue event on the Towneley in order to have a family holiday. If I were in your shoes, it’d have to be CP, if only to allow other bike-related activity in the future.

Andy

slimjim78
    Free Member

Disclaimer – having lost my father a few weeks ago, my family centric bias is strong at the moment – normal ride-at-all-cost-sod-the-family service will be resumed shortly.

Very sorry to hear that.
    Do what I do, try and squeeze your family on to bikes 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

thanks again guys, great advice

nealglover
    Free Member

You can ride London to Brighton anytime on your own and nobody would mind
    So you can replace that missed sunday of cycling easily.

But you may look a bit odd as a single male at centre parcs looking for a family and a 2 year old to spend time with.

slimjim78
    Free Member

so, I went to CenterParcs. And promptly had a big row with my sister, leading to a right miserable sunday morning, leading to me taking the wife & kid home early on sunday, all whilst my team mates on the L2B enjoyed the lovely sunshine.

Family get togethers. Priceless.

solarpowered
    Free Member

I’m voting family but have to say when i’ve been in your type of situation and both parties don’t mind what you do, i toss a coin!

Trust your gut…..

wwaswas

At least you didn’t abandon your wife and kids with the sister you’d just had a huge row with?

nealglover
    Free Member

Solarpowered,

Timing Fail 😉

slimjim78
    Free Member

Solarpowered,

Timing Fail 😆

Yes, and was just one the phone to the wife and she told me that she loves me.. so i’m still in the good books it seems.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘moral/MTFU dilemma? – Center Parcs or L2B?’ is closed to new replies.