Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Moral Racing Results Dilemma – would you bother saying anything?
  • Jase
    Free Member

Post up his Twitter/Facebook name and let STW take care of it for you 🙂

brassneck

The time limit’s about 18 hours isn’t it? You could walk a marathon comfortably in 7. The swim is 2 doing breaststroke. That leaves 9 hours to ride (less than) 112 miles.

Not taking away from the achievement, but it doesn’t make him a stunning athlete!

I seriously doubt I could do that back to back, regardless of time – I think it’s a real achievement.

njee20
    Free Member

Really? I’d not think it that tough if you have a modicum of fitness.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“but it doesn’t make him a stunning athlete!”

Not to you, race whippet… but it does compaired to most on here

18 hours straight with a raised heart rate…. most couldn’t manage a full on, non-stop hour without a rest to talk about their lastest bike purchase.

brassneck

I’d probably drown on the first leg for a start 🙂

To put it another way – I’d not feel in any position to judge till I’d actually done it and survived. 100 mile road bike rides don’t usually leave me feeling like I’d fancy doing a marathon now! I think finishing it is to be applauded in any circumstance to be honest.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Njee20 … surely you are now on a wind up?

I thought you knew your stuff… but are you honestly telling me with a “modicum” of fitness an Ironman can be completed?

convert

Cut off was 16hrs – he needed a half decent bike to make the time as his swim and run were slower still.

There is an often proffered adage by triathlon elite that they couldn’t do what the slower age groupers do. There is one thing racing for 8 or 9 hours but to have to keep going for the full 16 or 17 is mentally taxing. And continental races are hot – I think it was upper 30’s on the run and for most of the bike. And the swim was non wetsuit because of the temperature which for slower swimmers is a distinct disadvantage.

grum
    Free Member

Just post on one of his Facebook posts – ‘looks like there was something up with the timing in your second lap – it says here you beat all the pros and averaged 45km/h!’

Simple and doesn’t sound bitchy.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I think njee means a fit person who trained for it would be able to finish it well under 18 hours or within the cutoff despite not having targeted training. Fair play to the guy for doing his Pig-ironman, but perhaps being picked up by the broom wagon would have been the wake up call he needed to realise what training really involves?

I know someone who trained for 2 years to do an Ironman with the goal of finishing under 10 hours. There’d be blood if he were ribbed by a gloating plodder.

convert

If IM is not tough enough and you fancy a proper challenge check out the Inferno Triathlon

Nice little 3.1km swim
    followed by a tiny little 97km Road bike with 2145m of ascent
    Followed by a nice short 30km mountain bike with 1180m of ascent
    Followed by a 25km fell ‘run’ with 2175m of ascent

You get 14hrs to complete. Last year 14 Brits entered – 2 finished!

hora
    Free Member

I think rhats an achievement just to finish it. Have a quiet word.

Hes hardly a pie eater. He must have put some training in

zokes
    Free Member

I have a uni friend who’s been talking about doing the Arch to Arc after finding gigathons were a bit too easy for her.

Run to the Channel from Marble Arch, swim across that, then I’ll let you guess the mode of transport to Paris 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

It would be cruel to publicly ‘out’ him as a cheat

Cruel of him to cheat to beat honest people who’ve trained better, cruel of him to deceive his friends and family and soak up their adulation.

Absolutely blow the whistle. There’s no excuse for doign that, none at all. You say he’s not a bad lad – how the hell could he act like that if he isn’t?

Full accountability is the only way. He should not be allowed to get away with being such an utter arsehole, imo. If he wasn’t crowing about it then I’d maybe not say anything, but honestly.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Rule #42
    // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

If it’s preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run, it is not called a bike race, it is called duathlon or a triathlon. Neither of which is a bike race. Also keep in mind that one should only swim in order to prevent drowning, and should only run if being chased. And even then, one should only run fast enough to prevent capture.

The Rules

Hope this clarifies.

convert

I have a uni friend who’s been talking about doing the Arch to Arc after finding gigathons were a bit too easy for her.

Run to the Channel from Marble Arch, swim across that, then I’ll let you guess the mode of transport to Paris

Arch to Arc- The bit I don’t understand is the channel swim. I’ve got a friend on standby for her channel swim as I type – you get a one or 2 week slot and wait for a weather window to coincide with the right tide before you get the green light to go. Unless you get smoothish water and set off exactly at the right point of the tide it’s an impossible feat no matter who you are. Do these Arch to Arcers do the run and hang around (a lot) for the swim or get the nod when to set off for the run and hope it takes exactly how long they thought it would? Crazy stuff!

Pieface

Congratulate him in front of everyone else and as someone else said, say loudly how you’d found his results and that he’d outperformed Emma Pooley as well as his team-mates and you’d like to know what his secret it.

That way you’re outing him but also congratulating him at the same time.

As others have said though, the facade won’t last and he sounds like he needs bringing down a peg or 2.

nick1962
    Free Member

Can’t you just e mail(anonymously if you wish) the organisers/those responsible for collating the timings and final positions and ask them to double check the segment in question?

njee20
    Free Member

I think njee means a fit person who trained for it would be able to finish it well under 18 hours or within the cutoff despite not having targeted training. Fair play to the guy for doing his Pig-ironman, but perhaps being picked up by the broom wagon would have been the wake up call he needed to realise what training really involves?

That’s just what I meant, CY’s worded it far more eloquently! 16 hours is less than I thought I must say, but I was talking about being of ‘reasonable’ fitness without really targeted training. Ie a 7.5 hour bike should be pretty reasonable, that’s less than 15mph. It sounds like the person the OP is talking about does not meet this criteria.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Run to the Channel from Marble Arch, swim across that, then I’ll let you guess the mode of transport to Paris

joe le taxi?
    TGV?
    shopper bicycle with a string of onions draped over a stripey jersey?

I can’t take the suspense!

zokes
    Free Member

shopper bicycle with a string of onions draped over a stripey jersey?

Nearly 😉

BermBandit
    Free Member

Thinking about it, this reminds me of something my old chap used to say. Ex London copper and all that. Basically he always used to say you don’t get punsihed for breaking the law, you get punsihed for getting caught!

Guys bang to rights. Grass him up

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Unicycle?

hora
    Free Member

I bet shes too tired when it comes to bedtime action.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Politely tell him that the splits look a little silly so that he has a chance to tell the organisers to sort them out. That way he would be able to avoid the potential scenario of being called a cheat. The splits would be sorted, he can rest happy with a new Cervelo (if it makes a difference at that level!?!) and you can also rest easy without the nagging little devil on your shoulder.

IME, these anomalies get sorted out pretty quickly anyway.

Keva
    Free Member

When he goes through the next timing point he has apparently travelled the last 90km 10mins faster than all the pros in the field at a pace a lot of club roadies could not maintain for a flat 25mile TT and this was hilly terrain.

why not just suggest to him that the two of you go and ride the 90km section again to celebrate his completing the event. Mention you’re impressed with his time and could do with the training… be funny to hear what he has to say…

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’ve done a few events, and I have to say, while you’re in the midst of an event, it can be hard to have any idea of how far you’ve gone, so it could have been an honest mistake, took a wrong turning somewhere where there was a split between lap 1 and lap 2 or something.

From the guy’s results*, that swim time is shocking, and certainly doesn’t point towards someone who is going to get almost 19mph average in the bike (or complete the race for that matter), and that big gap in the splits with a massive boost of speed during it does suggest he missed out some of the course. Surprised there isn’t a 2 hour or so cut-off time for the swim anyway, what is the chance that someone doing an ironman can’t swim 4k in 1.5 hours?

*given the information you’ve posted, it is pretty obvious who you’re talking about

convert

convert

*given the information you’ve posted, it is pretty obvious who you’re talking about

Nice bit of detective work 😉

I’d be obliged if you didn’t name here though so he could be outed by a google search for all and eternity!

StuF

Ironman switzerland per chance?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes pretty clear, so can’t imagine the result standing for long. Save him the embarrassment with a quiet word in his ear.

hora
    Free Member

Has he won any prizes?

Has he won money?

Is it a race?

Word in ear. Don’t ‘out’ someone. It was his first entry, hes hardly podium material just annoying. Annoying doesn’t require flaming.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Im was Zurich was event Pooley raced in ….seems like we can all oust him ….

convert

….seems like we can all oust him ….

but you wouldn’t be that mean would you 😉 👿

molgrips
    Free Member

Annoying doesn’t require flaming.

Cheating then bragging about the results and taking loads of praise and respect DEFINITELY requires flaming, and lots of it.

jumble
    Free Member

I wouldn’t out him. Leave it up to him to decide. It might put him off the sport completely to pick on him.

Many moons ago at SITS I had a team mate who was easily the weakest rider in the team, but put in an astonishing night lap right up with the quickest of the event. His excuse was that he was somehow inspired on his second of two laps. We all just rubbed our chins. Luckily we forgot to register in the vet team category as we would have made the podium and then we would wonder about what to do about it.

I have no idea why he did it or how he got his timing so wrong.

ratherbeintobago

Cheating then bragging about the results and taking loads of praise and respect DEFINITELY requires flaming, and lots of it.

On the basis that everyone is innocent until proven guilty, it may just be that he got lost in the moment (or was leaning so hard on his chinstrap he wasn’t aware he went off route). Word in ear first and given him the opportunity to set reocrd straight with organisers.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@jumble why lie about something like that to a teammate? Would have thought there was zero chance a weak rider can set a night lap time up with the quickest on a daytime lap. Inspired or not.

zokes
    Free Member

No, that’s just for people who can’t overtake

turboferret

As someone who worked pretty hard for a mediocre bike split I’d be pretty upset at having someone else get a free ride even for a poor bike split.

My bike data

Also, with a 2:23 swim, he should have been allocated a DNF by not making the swim cut-off time.

Ignoring that, he 100% wouldn’t have made the 16 hours without cheating, so should be brought down a peg or 2 for sure.

Cheers, Rich

turboferret

Actually, slowest swim time I can find in the results is 2:26, so they were clearly being a bit generous with the cut-off times.

Having said that, I can only find a few folk who were slower than him, so I can’t quite understand how he was 1927th on the swim leg, surely he should have been closer to 2395th 😕

Cheers, Rich

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Moral Racing Results Dilemma – would you bother saying anything?’ is closed to new replies.