Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Moral dillema
  • barnsleymitch
    Free Member

It's part of the trans pennine trail, dont actually need a permit. I've contacted the fishing club concerned, still waiting for someone to get back to me.

jon1973
    Free Member

If it had been a hoodie on a bmx who ran over your rod I imagine your rant would have had a lot more capital letters and swear words.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Which idiot said confession was good for the soul? I feel worse now than when I first posted! At least it's pushed me in the right direction, and I feel like I'm at least trying to make amends.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Now you're fecked – kid will be claiming its a 2 grand rod but he's binned it and now you've offered you've admitted guilt and under some sort of obligation to pay £1000 of it lol.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Jesus wept, it's like the Spanish Inquisition on here!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it's like the Spanish Inquisition on here!

it's the comfy chair next you heretic!

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

So long as youre not playing Torquemada Simon.

hora
    Free Member

Unless you are Polish, why would anyone fish in a canal anyway? What a useless waste of time- sat waiting for something to bite then throw it back. Madness.

hora
    Free Member

LOVED the Torquemada stories. He was my fave character

wwaswas

whereas riding round in a big loop in the pissing rain is perfectly reasonable adult behaviour?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Didnt mean that one hora…

hora
    Free Member

whereas riding round in a big loop in the pissing rain is perfectly reasonable adult behaviour?

Yes because you get to say 'stoked' and 'core' whilst looking forward to your girlfriends appalled look when you comeback dirty.

Didnt mean that one hora…

I know, but he is far far cooler to imagine..

wwaswas

"looking forward to your girlfriends appalled look"

I look forward to having to get undressed in the porch because "You're not coming in the house looking like that".

zaskar
    Free Member

It was an accident.

Do have any 3rd party insurance? even contents cover may cover public liability outside the home.

Call your insurance up to see and if so find the kid.

Job done.

If not, then hope it's a cheap pole.

Or just learn and never do it again!

You made a mistake – it happens now sort it out and don't admit all liability either.

Cheer up and stop feeling crap. And if you don't get a call from the angling club then don't ride there again for a while!

Ride with some patience and respect to others too.

hora
    Free Member

haha. come winter my kit has to live on the car and be resused countless times as she wont let it near the washing machine caked with mud. Then theres the mop chasing me across the kitchen floor feverishly along with the 'Ive spent ages cleaning and then you come in!' …err yeah honey, hi to you too'!

snowslave

buy dirtworkers

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Just noticed the tags at the top of this thread – how very dare you!

hora
    Free Member

Aye but Im not paying 70quid for a plastic bottle, a piece of hose and a ickle motor 😉

Hmmmm
    http://www.clifford-james.co.uk/ProductDetailInfoWithoutOptions.cfm?ID=D3253&ShopRef=68&Prime=Yes&shopListRec=40443

+

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Hosepipe, bucket of hot water and a brush for the bike.

Stripping naked (thank god for high fences) and the hosepipe for the riding kit – followed by a quick dash to the washing machine then the bath!

Junkyard
    Free Member

why do fishermen have along pole to fish n theother side cant they just go and stand on that side instead?

I had this on my boat where he did not move his rod ..I know a 50 ft 20 ton boat in the water comming t owards you at 3 mph an deasy mistake. Why he did not yield to the behmnouth crawling towards him was beyond me.
    I hit it, it broke we exchanged details (and insults). He tried to sue. However , surprisingly, I had right of way as he could move out easier than me and had more than enough time to do so. They cant fish within a certain distance of locks, moored boats or bridges (50 metres iirc).

hora
    Free Member

If I ever got into fishing I'd need to take a few jazz mags, you know. To kill the time. 🙄

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

All this talk of suing and liability has made me realise that I made the whole thing up! I dont even own a mountain bike, and you cant prove I was there. You'll never take me alive you dirty coppers!

iDave
    Free Member

if you 'asked them to shift their gear and they ignored you', you must have known the gear was still there? or am I missing something? did they do a stealth un-shift of gear, which passed you by?

my kids fish, if you broke their stuff and rode off I'd say you were a total phucktard

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I dont even own a mountain bike, and you cant prove I was there.

but there's been a play written about the incident! Would you even deny the characters' lives ?

snowslave

Thank you Simon, I'll gladly share royalties from the opening night with you for this support.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

idave – I never saw the rod until I went over it, so no, I didnt know the gear was still there. I'm in the middle of trying to sort this out with the fishing club. As I believe I mentioned in my original post, I went back to try and sort this out shortly after it happened. To be frank, it's the riding off bit that made me feel guilty, not damaging the rod – If the lads chose to ignore me when I (politely) asked them to move their gear, then that's their responsibility.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If the lads chose to ignore me when I (politely) asked them to move their gear, then that's their responsibility.

What? Ask them to move their stuff and they ignored you? Or did you ask them to move stuff that you didn't actually see in the first place.

You are not painting a very rosy picture of yourself here.

stumpyjon

Look at this another way, you and your mates leave your £ 3k carbon hardtails in the middle of a busy carpark. Someone wants to leave and politely asks you move your bikes. Some of you do, some of you don't. The driver sees the bikes have been moved and reverses over your bike. If you're not bright enough to look after such an expensive piece of equipment then expect to lose it / get it busted.

If you ridden through without warning knowing the rods were there, different story. The fact it's part of the trans pennine trail also suggest to me the anglers should have been more accomodating to other trail users. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it, from what you have said you didn't intend to do it so it was a genuine accident and the lad with rod hadn't taken any action when warned you were coming. I can't think of any other user group we'd be as happy with if they'd blocked the trail.

snowslave

he's contacted the club, which seems the fair thing to do at this point in time?

Perhaps some hail marys could be sent via tinternet too?

joemarshall
    Free Member

I've been along our canal when the fishing matches are on (seems like they do several weekends). They all just stick their rods over the cycle path / towpath and leave em there. Dinging a bell seems to sort it out usually, but like you say, it doesn't half slow you down. You get the odd one who is arsey too and doesn't want to move their gear. Riding up as if you are going to do a trials style hop over their expensive rod makes em move it in the end though. It is a pain even if you're just going for a walk.

Personally, if it was an honest mistake, he left his rod there when the rest of them had moved them out of the way, you completely didn't see it, I'd have said oops, that was a bugger, and ridden off, same as you did. Obviously if you hammered through there shouting out of my way it'd be different, but otherwise, it isn't really your fault if he leaves a rod on the cycle path.

Joe

hp_source

Sounds like you're doing the right thing now.

How about next time a 15mile ride and and hour practicing this?…

How to bunnyhop
    😆

Just incase.

hora
    Free Member

I think you should go back with a set of bombers and finish off the job.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

"What? Ask them to move their stuff and they ignored you? Or did you ask them to move stuff that you didn't actually see in the first place.

You are not painting a very rosy picture of yourself here."

Just remind me, at which stage did I say that I rode over the rod on purpose?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just remind me, at which stage did I say that I rode over the rod on purpose?

Quite possibly you didn't ride over on it on purpose but you knew they were there 'but I did ask them to shift their gear, and they did ignore me' yet without bothering to check, you carried on.

May I put it to you that you just thought 'ohh **** it, they won't move it, I am just gonna ride over it, that'll learn 'em' but subsequently guilt has caught up with you….

jon1973
    Free Member

I bet you weren't expecting that.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

mastiles: No, actually, I asked, then stopped. The guy in front of me moved his gear, and I (wrongly) assumed his mates had shifted theirs as well, and set off again. You may put what you want to me, (have I landed up in court again?), but you dont know me from Adam, and therefore are in no position to judge my character.

hora
    Free Member

Did someone mention 'rod'? Surely the Stephen Gately thread has now found a new home? 8)

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Cheeky bad boy!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I bet you weren't expecting that.

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!

(sorry but someone had to!)

snowslave

Spare the rod spoil the child

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Moral dillema’ is closed to new replies.