Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)
  • moral dilema – what would you do??
  • piemonster

EDIT – tits. Wrong thread

Link to thread please?

CountZero

Wrong thread post fail there, I think… 😀

maccruiskeen

Link to thread please?

Your thread 🙂

steveotomo
    Free Member

Hang on a minute… did you actually want 2 MacBook pros or was the nice discount so large that you could not refuse.
    Checks classifieds for recent listing of MacBook pro, unwanted gift

i couldnt say no lol… and yeah, i probably could sell and make some money 😉

bomberman
    Free Member

Just a warning about this guy.

I’m having problems with him. I paid him £135 via paypal for an iPhone 5 with a slightly damaged screen (too good to be true?) he was quite pushy about taking payment saying someone else was interested and then as soon as i sent the money he went quiet. Without giving me any details about when he would send the phone. After the weekend he came back on (said he’d been busy) and said he’d post it first thing Monday morning. Well, monday morning arrived and i had an email from Paypal saying he’d refunded me the whole amount, the reason in the notes that “it takes 14 days to unlock and he didn’t realise”. This is a guy who claims to sell mobile phones for a living.

This is the guy’s website:

PHONE GEEK

There was no email to discuss the refund or ask me if i still wanted the phone to unlock it myself. I’ve emailed him since and had no response. Either he’s an amateur with bad communication skills or he’s bottled it and sent the money back. He has only been a member of this forum for a few days which makes me even more suspicious.

Maybe i’m just unlucky but since he’s not explaining himself very well i though i’d post on here to give anyone else who might be dealing with him a heads-up. He’ll probably be on here soon to defend himself…

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

it’s also utter bullshit that Apple would offer the macbook at a discounted rate. They simply wouldn’t do that. I had the exact same situation, as detailed earlier, and Apple arrange to pick up the macbook at there expense.

My friend works at Apple meadowhall, he’s sat with me now, and can confirm there is no way Apple would do this.

Pics of discounted receipt or it didn’t happen.

toys19
    Free Member

Bomberman, hang on you havent got a phone and you have got a refund? What is there to be suspicious about? Maybe he is just honest. I fail to see what you have lost.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Oh and I’m totally happy to be proved wrong by the way.

bomberman
    Free Member

I can’t prove anything, but the reason I paid the man £135 in the first place was so that he could and me the phone I wanted. Even if it did take 14 days to unlock an iPhone 5, waking up on the morning your item is due to be posted to find you’ve got a refund is a bad experience. The money’s left my account and PayPal have put a hold on it so I am unable to spend it. If I send it straight back into my bank (when I can) it will still take time for it to become as part of my funds. He just refunded me out of the blue….I think he bottled it. It wasn’t sent PayPal gift it he did try to get me to pay the fees, and when I said I’d only deal if he paid the fees his email response was “for f*uck sake, go on then”.

Sounds like the attitude of someone trying to pull a scam to me. He hasn’t been on here for more than a few days and this whole thread smells of “look at me I’m an honest guy see how trustworthy I am?”

I don’t want to make myself look like a tw*t any more I’m just here to give people a heads up.

tpbiker
    Free Member

so are we saying the seller is a scam artist? Even though hes refunded you all the cash. I’m slightly confused by where this thread is heading.

Either way I just thought I’d put my tuppence in about the original dilema incase anyone faces a similar situation. There is no way on earth I would have informed them. If it was a question of morality and karma I would have chucked it under my bed for a month or 2 to ensure they’d forgotten about it then sell it and given the money to charity (although in reality I’d have spend the money on bike bling and my mortgage)

And on the topic of Karma..

Apple is a horrific company that still owe me money for 2 ipods that broke a week after the 1 year warranty ran out. Not to mention their dubious moral business codes, that steal from each and every one of us UK tax payers with their tax avoidance schemes on a daily basis. I’d not think twice about taking something from them for free if I could get away with it.

Same wouldn’t apply to a small business obviously.

bomberman
    Free Member

It is what it is, the only reason I posted on here was to inform people that at the very least he’s an unreliable seller with poor communication skills. Don’t flame me for trying to protect you. I’ve given you the details, you’re big enough to make your own decision.

tpbiker
    Free Member

wasn’t flaming you. I only wanted to Rant about Apple! 🙂

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

bomberman – thanks for the heads up.

It was obvious from the OP that he is happy to steal, but not so obvious that he MAY have been aiming for an unsuspecting STW member.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Theft doesn’t require dishonesty

yes it does, its an integral part of the definition of theft.

To answer the OP and the “watch left at my house” comparison you act dishonestly at the time you decide to keep it knowing its not rightfully yours. Dishonesty is subject to the reasonable person test (R v Ghosh), I suggest a reasonable person would contact Apple, the fact you felt the need to ask the question suggested from the start you did too.

Good result all round in the end.

Podium
    Free Member

If a company sends you stuff that you didn’t ask for – in this a case a second item – legally you can regard them as an unconditional gift and do with them what you will.

The law is on your side dude.

Up to you what you do of course.

Podium
    Free Member

People keep mentioning theft.

Daft b@ggers! It’s not theft ffs. Apple just sent you a gift. That is all. You don’t have to keep if you don’t want to.

If you are uncomfortable keeping it I would consider selling and giving the proceeds to charity or give someone in need a nice cheque, present or even the Mac itself. Turn it into a positive rather than have it weigh your conscience down.

Apple won’t go bust if they don’t get it back..

singletrackmind

bomberman
    Are you thinking this thread is a pre – cursor to a more elaborate ‘sting’ ? maybe involving the classified ads on here , or linked to here from another forum?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Podium – do you honestly think either of these Macs exist?

To me the whole thing sounds like part 1 of a scam selling them on here.

yossarian
    Free Member

I was once sent 2 very expensive Phil & Ted’s double buggies by mothercare after they ballsed up delivery of the first one.

Rather than send the spare back I gave it to some friends of ours who had just had their second child and were utterly broke.

I consider myself a latter day Robin Hood.

bomberman
    Free Member

Just to clarify, according to the links posted further up this thread, duplicate items CAN’T be treated as unconditional gifts and need to be returned.

So the law is NOT on your side.

bruneep

Ive received a turbo for a clio £260ish that I never ordered. Contacted the sending company who said they would be in touch its been over a week now. Anyone need a turbo for a clio?

bigyinn
    Free Member

The only Clio’s fitted with Turbos are the recently launched ones, I very much doubt you have a Clio Turbo there sir!

bigyinn
    Free Member

bomberman, just to clarify, are you saying steveotomo is dodgy?
    Given he only joined a week ago, it does seem a little odd that his second thread started is about an unsolicited laptop and whether to keep it or not?

scandalous
    Free Member

mad to have given it back or called it in. Its been picked from a list by someone who couldn’t distinguish from a 1 and a 2. it would be untraceable and either way nowt would have come of it as to retrieve it would have cost more than the raw cost of the unit to apple (i.e. an ipad costs apple less than £100, a letter from apple and escalation would cost in the order of £3-400. it just wouldn’t fly.

if you feel better for it that’s good, if you got a bargain and karma points, even better but you should always enjoy a windfall to its fullest as they come round so seldomly.

sugdenr
    Free Member

bomberman – Member

Just to clarify, according to the links posted further up this thread, duplicate items CAN’T be treated as unconditional gifts

and need to be returned.

So the law is NOT on your side.

As you say you want to have clarity, your first statement is correct, but your second is not.

If someone sends you an extra item by mistake, you have NO duty to pro-actively tell them, and you especially do not have to send it back (they have to pick it up).

You probably have an obligation to kekep it safe (a bailee’s duty of care) but only for a reasonable time.

What you may not do is profit from the situation.

brant
    Free Member

Anyone need a turbo for a clio?

Is it an 05 V6 Clio Twin turbo?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

WTF this thread is descending into madness

bomberman
    Free Member

If you say so

wwaswas

1.5Dci had a turbo too?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Best Buy messed up sending multiple units, customers told to keep extras:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Best-Buy-customer-orders-one-Apple-iPad-receives-a-box-of-five-and-is-told-to-keep-them-all_id37460

We ordered something from a large retailer. It was delivered.
    A week later we get a letter saying sorry we couldn’t fulfil your order, here’s a refund. Called customer service and they said everything in order, nothing they could do or charge us against!

zbonty

Theres another few pages to this thread, i’m certain……………

large418
    Free Member

Treat others as you would like to be treated

bomberman
    Free Member

I think if i had have paid via papal gift i’d be up shit creek by now. I sent him an email at 10:00am on monday morning and he still hasn’t replied. Its annoying because i was hoping to make a few quid out if it and there’s another sale i want to pay for but papal my entire refund on hold.

If i pay for something else now will it come out of my bank account or will papal deduct it front the on-held refund? Any papal experts about?

khani
    Free Member

Any papal experts about

bomberman
    Free Member

LOL. Stupid phone. Wish i had an iphone 5 🙁

sugdenr
    Free Member

i was hoping to make a few quid out if it

See Forum Rules: The Classified Forum is not a place where users can earn a living or supplement their income by buying and selling parts.

How ironic that you are on here moaning about another users dubious credentials because you were frustrated in your attempts to profit from the forum!

tpbiker
    Free Member

this is why I love STW…..this one needs kept going for entertainment purposes…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

How ironic that you are on here moaning about another users dubious credentials because you were frustrated in your attempts to profit from the forum!

You read this and think bomberman was the bad guy? What about the guy who pretended to get a second (imaginary) macbbok at a bargain price and was about to head over to classifieds to sell it to a sucker?

Then seems to have disappeared?

bomberman
    Free Member

See Forum Rules: The Classified Forum is not a place where users can earn a living or supplement their income by buying and selling parts.

You seem like a nice guy, i hope somebody offers you a lovely MacBook pro at a price that’s too good to miss. You deserve it 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘moral dilema – what would you do??’ is closed to new replies.