Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)
  • moral dilema – what would you do??
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Toy19 😀 think you’ve just made his day!

hora
    Free Member

So at a small bikeshop the Sat boy accidently put a front and a rear XTR brakeset in the bag instead of just a front.

Would you take it back? Its paid for itself now cos I got one free?

‘They can afford to lose one’ doesnt make it better.

Do the right thing. Live by your morals.

What next? You are given a tenner extra at Tesco. Their evil so its ok to keep it?

Would I keep it? I’d call. Yes it might get lost in their stock system back/end up being pinched anyway but it wasnt ours to pinch..

ask1974
    Free Member

What out for WiKi… Often wrong.

unsolicited good and services act 1971

If I understand the legal speak correctly you have two routes to ownership…

1. Wait six months and if Apple do not try to recover the goods you can do as you wish.
    2. Send them a letter giving them 30 days to collect, if they don’t you can also do as you wish.

Looks like the law is being amended though and maybe to cover events such as this due to the amount of distance selling now taking place.

If it was me I’d take option 2 and write a letter. Honest and you can sleep well, you never know you might be ignored and can keep the goods legally.

8)

riiich
    Free Member

Unsolicited goods

Looks legal to keep them. It’s apple we’re talking about, not your local bike shop.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Keep it. Deny all knowledge of it if Apple contact you. Sell it next month or make someone happy with it. Don’t tell anyone you don’t trust (oops, too late).

riiich
    Free Member

Yes, keep it. And if the guilt is keeping you awake at night send them a packet of hobnobs with a thank you note.

hora
    Free Member

A thieves mentality is if its not nailed down or if you haven’t taken enough care then its open season.

So this is a middle-class version of pinching a bike off the street

😉

piemonster

I could live with that, quite easily.

hora
    Free Member

Soooooo what makes this any different to classifieds fraud?

The end result is gaining possession of something that you hadn’t paid for.

piemonster

Don’t use the classifieds, too many crooks about.

piemonster

If someone posted me something I neither requested, nor paid for.

It’d be up to them to rectify their mistake, not me.

phil.w
    Free Member

Soooooo what makes this any different to classifieds fraud?

A) He didn’t set out to commit a crime as is the case in classifieds fraud.
    B) In this case no crime has been committed, he has a legal right to keep the laptop.

HTH

piemonster

To be honest, I’d expect Apple to contact the OP fairly soon. Unless some Warehouse Op has really screwed it up.

They should have allocated the IMEI to the delivery at some point, and this should get flagged up fairly soon when they realise its not where it’s supposed to be. It wouldn’t surprise me if another Apple customer has already phoned them asking where the product is.

piemonster

They also might notice the delivery for one laptop was twice as heavy as it should have been.

hora
    Free Member

he has a legal right to keep the laptop.

How? (Genuine, not a STW-arguing for arguing sake)

phil.w
    Free Member

The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations say you have a right to keep goods delivered to you that you didn’t ask for.

If you receive goods you have not ordered, you can treat the goods as an unconditional gift and you can do what you want with them.

If you receive a demand for payment for unsolicited goods or services, you can ignore it. If the trader does this, they may have committed a criminal offence under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

See here

zzjabzz
    Free Member

You have to consider how theft (if this technically is) will affect the ‘victim’.

In this case, personally, I would keep it.

piemonster

Made myself chuckle, just thinking about what sort of idiot proof procedures Apples logistics provision will have for despatching these high value products.

Then I thought about the variety of warehouse Ops I known and worked with. Ranging from angry, uninterested, soul destroyed, to barely above vegetable.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I’d send it back. But that’s about personal morals, and how I’d like to be treated in return.

But it isn’t always easy. I tried returning some batteries purchased off a trader who used “fulfilled by amazon” where amazon had sent out 80 rechargeables instead of 8, and only billed me for 8. The trader was very appreciative. Amazon were a bunch of obstructive twunts.

Edukator
    Free Member

As soon as anyone plugs a Net cable into the machine you didn’t buy Apple will find it and and try to link it to a sale and a customer. They’ll fail but whether they will link it to the OP I have no idea.

mtbfix

I bet you’d have been straight on the phone if you’d ordered 2 and only 1 turned up. I say ring them but its up to them to arrange collection.

hora
    Free Member

The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations say you have a right to keep goods delivered to you that you didn’t ask for.

If you receive goods you have not ordered, you can treat the goods as an unconditional gift and you can do what you want with them.

If you receive a demand for payment for unsolicited goods or services, you can ignore it. If the trader does this, they may have committed a criminal offence under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

This reminds me of the sad story of the bikeshop employee who sold a bike and miss-keyed a 0 and ended up about 1k out.

It was noticed later (cashing up? Or balancing) and they traced/called the new owner who basically avoided them.

Apparently he was within his rights as he said he’d bought the bike for what he considered to be a fair price. It’d have cost them alot via a legal/more Solicitors advice to recover the money.

He got a cheap bike.

I wonder what his conscience is like? ‘They can afford it’?

I’d ring up, if no courier showed then I’d leave it boxed ready. If not after a month or so I’d consider it abandoned. At what point/size of business do you consider it automatically fair game?

phil.w
    Free Member

At what point/size of business do you consider it automatically fair game?

Personally, I’ve had this happen to me albeit a lower cost item, I rang the company and told them.

They wanted me to sit in all day and wait for a courier, ie take a day off work, which I deemed to be unreasonable so I left the item on the doorstep for two months, it’s now mine.

BigJohn

Send them a note stating there may be a discrepancy with your delivery and asking them to contact you.

jon1973
    Free Member

You have to consider how theft (if this technically is) will affect the ‘victim’.

In this case, personally, I would keep it.

Depends whether the ‘victim’ ends up being Apple, or some grunt on mininum wage who picked the item incorrectly.

piemonster

Depends whether the ‘victim’ ends up being Apple, or some grunt on mininum wage who picked the item incorrectly.

I find it hard to imagine this would be just one grunts fault. There should be multiple checks before despatch. Picking, packing, goods out.

I’d also ‘like’ to imagine they batched IMEIs together by the pallet, or similar. Once the pallets empty the product in question should be flagged as missing.

martinhutch

I had to ring up CRC the other day. They sent me a packet of Haribos by mistake. They claimed it was some kind of ‘customer gift’, so I can only assume that this is the case with your extra laptop.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’d let them know. As someone else point out above, I’d be worried about selling it on and then Apple picking up on it when registered/connected online.

A few years ago I treated my mum to a stay over at a De Vere hotel not too far from us.

There were 4 of us dining on the Saturday night and this accounted for most of the cost of the weekend, the bill for food/booze ought to have been around £700.

After we’d eaten, we asked for coffee to be brought to a wee drawing room just off the restaurant. It was late, so we finished the last of the booze, drank our coffees and headed to bed.

I was sat at the check out desk the next morning with a sore head and they handed me my bill to look over. The meal from the night before was missing. I pointed this out and the girl joked that it’s not often guests highlight the stuff missing from their bill.

She went off to find my signed bill but was unable to locate it. I told her I didn’t remember actually signing anything and told her about moving from the restaurant to the drawing room etc just after the meal.

She said she would be unable to charge me for the meal without the bill and that it would therefore not be added to my final bill!

wtf!! I told them I was perfectly happy for them to put a new bill together, was told that wouldn’t be necessary and at which point I received an elbow from mrs file so we let the matter drop. I didn’t feel particularly happy when I left since I was concerned the very nice man who looked after us during dinner may get his backside kicked.

piemonster

To be honest, that’s the hoteliers fault. Somebody should get an arse kicking.

It’s not like you dived out an open window and legged it.

jon1973
    Free Member

I find it hard to imagine this would be just one grunts fault. There should be multiple checks before despatch. Picking, packing, goods out.

Yes, processes should in place. But mistakes happen, and I doubt whether the CEO of Apple will take the flack, so someone at a relatively low level would get the blame for this kind of thing, while some lucky bugger is at home polishing the screen on their free laptop.

DezB
    Free Member

Ha! Is it a moral dilemma? Wouldn’t be for me!
    (ps. I was brought up in Leigh Park)

piemonster

Apple UK resolving the issue today

CountZero

Piemonster, that’s brilliant! 😆

ds3000
    Free Member

I remember On-One sent me two Pompino frames, when I only ordered and paid for one, I thought long and hard about it before my conscience got the better of me and I called them up to tell them of the mistake, felt a little better as at the time they still seemed to be a small company.

steveotomo
    Free Member

just to update, spoke to apple yesterday, i am now the owner of a second macbook pro… was able to buy it with a nice discount 😉 gotta love karma…..

monkey_boy
    Free Member

tell them, karma and all that, your brakes will fail next week…

maccruiskeen

So not an error but a bit of shrewd marketing 🙂

Matt24k
    Free Member

Hang on a minute… did you actually want 2 MacBook pros or was the nice discount so large that you could not refuse.
    Checks classifieds for recent listing of MacBook pro, unwanted gift 😀

maccruiskeen

EDIT – tits. Wrong thread

dooosuk
    Free Member

Wrong thread mac? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘moral dilema – what would you do??’ is closed to new replies.