Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Moral Dilema (2) Breaking up is hard to do
  • soobalias
    Free Member

So my stepson, against my better judgement, paid for his then girlfriend to come with us to Australia. She has since met a minor celebrity and dumped stepson, just leaving the issue of the £500 she has yet to repay. Her part time job could allow her to repay £100/month however she didnt manage that while they were together

Just to complicate the break-up further…. ex-gf sold stepson her battered and broken iphone4, when she got an upgrade. Stepson then paid to have the phone fixed and is using it.
    So Sunday morning, ex-gf’s dad is on the doorstep, asking for the phone back, as he says it was his and not hers to sell.

He wants the phone and is willing to cover the £100 costs. Stepson wants £500 + £100 or will not release the phone.

solutions as i see them.
    1. ex-gf’s dad covers her debt and gets the phone back
    2. stepson returns the phone for costs as a goodwill gesture and risks never seeing the money he is owed
    3. keep the phone and write off the cash owed.

Any better soltions STW

Torminalis
    Free Member

4) Keep the phone, tell the dad his daughter now owes him £100 for the phone and still owes you £400 for the tickets.

sadexpunk

blimey!! 8-/

jota180
    Free Member

2 – and move on

growinglad
    Free Member

Tell the father there are photos (wink wink) of said daughter on the phone and 600 notes should see the phone returned to him.

binners

4. Kidnap her, hold her hostage in a grubby bedsit and pimp her out until the debt is paid.

Bearing in mind the reasonable rate of interest you’re charging, of 20,000,347%. She’ll be out by 2025 😉

woody2000

You know the answer…..

codybrennan
    Free Member

Just wondering- how did the ex-GF’s dad also end up in Australia?

woody2000

I suspect it was a holiday codybrennan

Cougar

“What phone?”

I don’t really see how it’s your problem. If he’s claiming his daughter ostensibly stole something from him, then he needs to take that up with her. On the face of it, assuming he’s not lying to try and take advantage, it sounds like you’re both victims of her.

I think how I’d play this would be entirely dependent on the dad’s attitude. If he was polite and seemed above board, I’d probably return the phone for the cost of the repair plus what he’d paid for it (you said she sold it to him?). If he’s all “where’s my bloody phone” then I’d tell him to jog on. Apart from anything else, I would want to avoid setting a precedence where he thinks he can come round for other ‘missing’ items whenever he pleases.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Dare I ask how old they are if shes had to get daddy involved?
    All seems pretty petty to me!

Tell him to naff off and demand the £500!

soobalias
    Free Member

the father is on the face of it trying to be reasonable, he wants his phone back and is willing to cover the purchase price and repair costs £100 which stepson is out of pocket.

stepson figures that he bought the phone in good faith and while he has it, there is a slim chance he will see the £500 he is owed.
    Im inclined to agree with stepson that once he returns the phone, all communications will cease. £500 lesson learned.

kids are 17(f) & 18(m)

Cougar

Im inclined to agree with stepson that once he returns the phone, all communications will cease.

By the looks of things, it might be worth taking the hit for that reason alone.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Stepson got any mates who want a holiday in Oz for £500?

midlifecrashes

I’m confuddled.

If stepson agreed to pay her fare, how does she owe anybody £500?

The phone? Well if she sold it, it’s no longer hers, or her dad’s. If was really her dad’s, he needs to deal with that with her.

In short, nothing to be done.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve no idea.

But who is the “minor celebrity” ?

thegreatape
    Free Member

If the phone situation is as described, legally it’s still her dads property, despite your son buying it in good faith. Which might become relevant if an amicable solution can’t be found.

Joe

How old are these people, if they are going on holiday together and still getting their parents involved in shit like this? Pathetic.

Tell the father to piss off and that its nothing to do with him.

soobalias
    Free Member

stepson agreed to lend her the money for her airfare and cash while out there, totalled nearly £1200, £700 paid up before departure, £500 owed(!) still

holiday has been and gone

following the holiday, I’m much more significantly out of pocket than anyone else in this mess, but do you hear me moaning, no, you dont, i just get on with it and plan my next escape, which incidently will not include any hanger-oners.

Ive got a bladder full of wee and a lovely set of Z1 Wedges sat here….

johnellison
    Free Member

Suck it up. Move along the bus. Learn.

soobalias
    Free Member

point taken about legal ownership of the phone thegreatape, thx.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

small claims court thing?

scuzz
    Free Member

So Sunday morning, ex-gf’s dad is on the doorstep, asking for the phone back, as he says it was his and not hers to sell.

What a plonker. How long has he had the phone? How much did he pay for it? Concerning to legal position of the phone, if what he says is true, he needs to report his daughter stealing his phone to the police 😀

deviant
    Free Member

Stamp on phone, shatter screen, jizz into SIM slot….hand phone back to ex-GF’s father with wry smile on face.

Does he have any risque pics of ex-GF to pass around to mates?….i have found that to help in the past.

thegreatape
    Free Member

How did you select your chosen username deviant? 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

heh,

can an iphone 4s be locked/barred using the imei?

FuzzyWuzzy

2 or 3 basically, he’s never going to pay an extra £500, he could just buy himself an iPhone 5 instead

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

…and on top of that he had to pay for paternity tests and prostitutes, thats a lot of wedge. Sorry wrong thread(s) 😀

McHamish
    Free Member

Contact the police and tell them that the girl stole a phone and sold it to you.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Tell him quietly but firmly that the next time he comes to your doorstep (or garden-gate for that matter) it had better be to pay his little girl’s debt otherwise the iphone will be the least of his worries.

Then write the whole thing off and move on.

D0NK

If the phone situation is as described, legally it’s still her dads property, despite your son buying it in good faith. Which might become relevant if an amicable solution can’t be found.

if going down the legal route presumably he would have to report his daughter for theft* first? if so could stepson sue daughter for the cash he paid her for it? and/or would he get done for receiving stolen goods?

*or fraud or something

martinhutch

Ring up Star on Sunday. Picture of Stepson on page 17 looking glum saying “H from Steps* stole my bird” – few hundred quid from that top quality publication for the story, ex-girlfriend gets option to launch dubious glamour modelling career, allowing “H from Steps” to read about how he’s a demon in the sack. Everyone’s happy.

*insert name of plausible minor celeb involved.

swavis

the answer involves a pyre. You know what to do

thegreatape
    Free Member

DONK

Yes
    Yes (although in the real world a pointless expense)
    No (since accepted in good faith)

thegreatape
    Free Member

allowing “H from Steps” to read about how he’s a demon in the sack. no longer gay

martinhutch

I did invite more plausible suggestions. And I can’t remember the name of the other one out of Steps.

jon1973
    Free Member

Stamp on phone, shatter screen, jizz into SIM slot….

If it had been an Android phone, you could have also jizzed in to the memory expansion slot.

sadexpunk

If it had been an Android phone, you could have also jizzed in to the memory expansion slot.

😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

To be honest martinhutch, I think your ignorance regarding H is preferable to my knowledge of him.

soobalias
    Free Member

ok, i feel the need to defend/deflect H from Steps, who is getting a rough deal.

you have heard of N-Dubz? minor celeb is a ‘mate’ of Dappy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Moral Dilema (2) Breaking up is hard to do’ is closed to new replies.