Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Moors Valley, Dorset
  • timbur
    Free Member

I think I might be in Dorset this Saturday with a morning to kill.
    Is the Moderate trail through the woods worth a look in the morning for a spin or am I going to get fed up stopping for weekend warriors on bike hire specials :o)
    From memory I read before that’s its great and quick ridden flat out but not too challenging. I could do with a couple of hours of easy trails ideally before heading to the folks in Wimborne.
    I’m assuming parking on or just off the Horton Road is do’able?
    Cheers
    Tim

DT78
    Free Member

It’s very short.  You’ll be doing a lot of laps in 2 hours.  It’s been a year or so since I was down there last, every single time I’ve done a loop I’ve come across joggers and dog walkers on it, so trying to go flat out for s whole lap is unlikely.  Parking wise, not sure on the roads names, but it is perfectly possible to park on the eastern edge of the wood, about 5 min cycle form the mid point of the trail and avoid the extortionate parking charges.  You’ll also go past the skills area called watchmoore, which used to be quite good

timbur
    Free Member

OK. Might give it a go and then head off to some old haunts from back in my school days. Be like exploring again.
    Uddens/Cannon Hill/etc

jonm81

More likely to be avoiding weekend warriors on shiny new 160mm travel downhill bikes!

You could park at the large park in Verwood (Potterne Park I think it’s called) then ride a mile back into MVCP do a couple of laps then head up through Ringwood Forest and back through Verwood to the carpark.

2 laps of MVCP should take under an hour (9-10 miles) leaving an hour in Ringwood Forest if you have 2 hrs to ride.

It’s marked as a blue, but in reality its green graded for families on Halfords Apollos. Have a look at https://www.trailforks.com/region/moors-valley-country-park-6764/ and try the unofficial downhill runs near the Watchmoor Wood pump track. There’s also some secret trails such as Naughty Step and Kinky Tree but will take some finding.

burko73

Parking in moors valley is only a quid on a sat am as long as you are out by 10.45.

Parkrun at 9am so can be busy aro7nd the start of the blue trail.

The singletrack is nice and tight so it’s an effort to keep speed up. It’s a nice trail given the topography or lack of it. It’s only 7ks though.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It is a green really, and you’ll only get anything out of it at top speed. There are no technical trail features.

That said, it’s virtually all Singletrack, and it’s about the best that can be done with the (lack of) elevation in the area.

That said, because of that, you’re on the gas constantly, and the challenge becomes ‘how little can I brake’ around the circuit.

I tend to night ride it on the way to visiting my parents If I’m working nearby. The watchmoor skill area is basically dead. There are a couple of lines down the bank, but only really the pump track remains. It’s a pretty good pump track though. I’ve explored what’s laughingly called the ‘dh’ runs there. They’re fairly steep and over in about 5 seconds. They’re really just extended drop ins down a bank.

DezB
    Free Member

Go to Okeford Hill instead! Book yourself a half day uplift and get yer DH on 🙂

kiksy
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px;”>Go to Okeford Hill instead! Book yourself a half day uplift and get yer DH on </span>🙂

Do this. You’ll have a much better time.

DezB
    Free Member

Urgh HUGE smiley 😆

timbur
    Free Member

Thanks all. No DH for me. Tyres firmly on the ground.
    I’ll go exploring and see wher eI end up. Was local for 18 years so I have a rough idea of whats about.
    Cheers
    Tim

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Moors Valley, Dorset’ is closed to new replies.