• This topic has 22 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by gil_.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Moors One Hundred | Bikepacking Gateway Drug | 11th May
  • gil_

Want an adventure on a budget, meet like minded people, enjoy amazing scenery and even ride bikes?

The Moors One Hundred event is for you, a suggested 100 mile route across the North Yorkshire Moors, split over 2 days with a Camping area overnight, offering food and drink and a breakfast to get you underway in the morning

Route starts from Goathland and winds it’s way out to Bolty Forest and then returns the following day in a circular route, this isn’t a race, if fact you are encourage to take it easy and take in the views and passing opportunities for a break

This is a non profit event, the minimal entry fee covers an evening meal, a fine craft beer and priceless company ~ We just want people to enjoy the area and nothing more

Check it out Moors One Hundred

flyingmonkeycorps

Signed up to this last year and couldn’t make it (sorry!) but I’ll say it again – it looks bloody brilliant. There are some awesome trails around there, and beautiful scenery.

gil_

Sadly this was part of the reason for having to make a minimal charge this year, the event was oversubscribed but on the day we had a lot missing, which spoiled what we hoped would become an annual “free event”

It’s an amazing area, hope you can come and enjoy it this year flyingmonkeycorps

flyingmonkeycorps

Ah that sucks. I did email to let you know I couldn’t make it a month or so in advance. At least I’m pretty sure I did. Still a bargain cost tbh.

Definitely won’t make it this year, we have an 8 week old baby so the most I can manage at the moment is a cheeky couple of hours here and there!

jameso

Good work on the event ethos gil_.

jaminb
    Free Member

I’m in. WRT the weekend before, PBW the week between and Moors 100 to finish. I cant wait.

Creg

Can’t make it this year (shame as the start is 30 minutes drive from where I live) but will hopefully do it next year.

gil_

It’s really aimed at new people to the area getting a taste for the Yorkshire Moors and being self sufficient, with the safety of a overnight “camp” rather than just focusing on the trail centre “theme parks”

Obviously everyone is welcome, but without the expense of an “entry fee” hopefully meaning more people get to experience it, with little risk

jaminb
    Free Member

How many riders turned up last year gil

gil_

Sadly only about 50% of the people who had taken entries…

This then through out the catering side of things at the overnight camp, hence why there is a small charge this year

gil_

Excellent day riding the last part of the route today, current conditions are dry and great without the vegetation growing in, which is one of the advantages of the earlier date this year

Check out the photos if you need to whet your appetite
    Photos

hardtailonly

MTB or Gravel?

gil_

A combination, a capable gravel rider should be able to ride the route, several did last year on Fargos and CX bikes, but in the same light a fatter tired bike might be beneficial on some sections.

I guess it depends on the riders skill level

survivor

I’m getting closer and closer to pressing enter!

Just trying to scrounge some sleeping kit as I’ve no clue about it and don’t want to spend a fortune for my first outing….

I’ve got the bike, got the bags but always end up thinking I need to spend a fortune on tent, sleeping bag and mat…..

Any advice on budget stuff to get me started? I’m 6″2 as well which seems to limit choices a bit.

ton

i did this last year, and entered again.
    last year i used a tarp, a sleeping bag and a cheap inflatable alpkit mat.

it is only 1 night. nothing fancy needed.

gil_

Very much the spirit of the event, gives you the taste of adventure, but with simple overnight “security” no need for cooking kit, as food and drink will both be available

Set yourself a basic budget and give it a go, in most cases you would spend another £60-£70 to do an event like this, use this towards your sleeping kit 🙂

survivor

Nice one. I’ll have a look about and just go for it then. A friend might be loaning me a tarp and mat so sleeping bag is the main thing. Might spend a bit more on that as it can be used when I kip in the van as well.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Ive entered but cant ride it as didnt check the dates properly and id already paid to ride the Birmingham velo which is on my doorstep, gutted really , great entry price as well … ill keep any eye out for next years event … Good luck with the event , it looks ace

Poopscoop

Only thing stopping me is my level of fitness, or lack of…

Treat me like a 5 year old for a minute here…

How techy is the route,I crash a lot?

How much climbing compared to the SDW for example?

/5 year old, wimp.mode off.

ton

Only thing stopping me is my level of fitness, or lack of…

Treat me like a 5 year old for a minute here…

How techy is the route,I crash a lot?

How much climbing compared to the SDW for example?

/5 year old, wimp.mode off.

you wont need fitness to pootle round with me.

not techy at all.

i only pushed up 2 hills last year

aP
    Free Member

We’re in. Looking forward to it.

survivor

Kit bought and entered 😀

gil_

Well done Sir, you won’t regret it, hopefully give you the taste for a few more adventures 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Moors One Hundred | Bikepacking Gateway Drug | 11th May’ is closed to new replies.