Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Moon on a stick. A decent winter plus tyre?
  • PolisherMan

So get it out the way, yes I will be using my plus tyre this winter, no I won’t be putting a set of cheap 29er wheels on.

To be used in Pennine grinding paste type filth.  Minion DHR front and back? I’m currently using 3″ Nobby Nics. “Embracing the slide” gets a bit wearing after a bit!

nedrapier

DFR in the front?  Had a whopping 3 incher on mine last winter.  Very confidence inspiring.  It’ll be going back on again this weekend in place of the Knard, which is lighter and faster, but only in striaght lines!  Also getting weary of embracing the slide, and embracing the trees.

bri-72

Schwalbe Magic Mary in 2.8 or 2.6 form. I’ve got 2.8 version on 27.5 plus wheels. Insane grip but super draggy. Just as well I’ve got a 250w motor 😀

peanut
    Free Member

I’m running Bontrager xr4 29×3 on my Stache. £60 or there about from Germany. They are great.

scotroutes

I used NNs all last winter to great effect. I have a pair of XR4s to fit when they eventually meet their demise.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m interested in this too as I’ve just got a plus bike again after a break and it’s got cst bft on and I’m betting they will be rubbish at Llandegla

davewalsh
    Free Member

This winter, I will be mostly running a 2.8 HR2 MaxxTerra on the front and a 2.8 dual compound Recon on the rear of my Solaris. 3rd winter on this as I really rate them.

Cheezpleez

I’ve ridden Chronicles through winter since they came out. Not that bad but I may try something more noduley this year. Duro Crux any good?

PolisherMan

So I can confirm that for Pennine winter slop, Magic Mary 2.8’s are the most confidence inspiring front plus tyres ever! Not worried about drag, it’s for having a laugh with yer mates on a filthy Thursday evening 😉

ajantom

I’ve run 29×3.0 DHF front and Chronicle rear for the last couple of years.
    The grip on the front from the DHF in mud and wet conditions is amazing.
    The Chronicle is ok, and I learnt to live with it in the wet/mud, but when it wears out I’m going to replace it with a DHR.

ajantom

These Vee Tyre Crown Gems look interesting. They’re ‘only’ a 2.5″, but should come up a decent size on 40/45mm rims.
    Also only £14.99 each. Bargain!

Vee Tyre Crown Gem 29 x 2.5

letmetalktomark

DHF front, DW rear.

End of thread 🙂

doomanic

Magic Mary front and rear.

Actual end of thread. 😉

andytheadequate
    Free Member

Yeah, the Magic Mary 2.8 offers great grip in the mud.

TheGhost
    Free Member

For 27.5 plus –

Winter

Front – Magic Mary 2.6
    Rear. – Hans Dampf 2.6 (New version)

Summer

Front – Maxis DHF 2.8
    Rear. – maxis DHR2 2.8

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Moon on a stick. A decent winter plus tyre?’ is closed to new replies.