Monument to some crazy guys who changed the bicycle world

Home Forum Bike Forum Monument to some crazy guys who changed the bicycle world

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Monument to some crazy guys who changed the bicycle world
  • Junkyard

Seriously YOU THE MAN

AWESOME

Something to feel rightly proud of both the legacy now permanently there and to MTB in general.
    Thanks

Premier Icon grtdkad
    Subscriber

Wow. Ace!

That is all.

druidh wrote:

🙄

I take it you know who Repack Rider is, right? Right?

CK, the mosaic and the monument are superb 🙂

Premier Icon althepal
    Subscriber

That is very, very cool. Hopefully, one day, I’ll be back out that way and can check it out in person.
    Much respect to you, and all the other pioneers sir, thank you.

juan

I though MTB was born in the hills surrounding paris…

mcmoonter

Awesome Charlie. I’m over in late September, will you be up for a ride and some Fairfax Scoop sampling?

busydog

That’s cool Repack R.–cool indeed!!

Junkyard

To save debate his website has the following

A strange bicycling event called “Repack” changed my life, starting in 1976, when the first downhill off-road race took place on a road a few people called “Repack” road, just outside Fairfax, California. I promoted clandestine races there starting in 1976 and ending in 1984, the beginning of what has become a world-wide sport of downhill mountain bike racing.

The story of mountain biking is partly about the bike, but that does not explain the phenomenon. Marin County is not the only place where the mountain bike was invented, but it is the birthplace of the sport of mountain biking.

People had ridden bikes on dirt long before the first MountainBike went on sale in San Anselmo in 1979. Cyclo-cross riders invented cross country bicycle racing, and millions of kids took their balloon tire bikes off road before I was even born. Earlier tinkerers had come up with the combination of fat tires, flat handlebars, better brakes and multiple gears that separated mountain bikes from all others, and had done so before I learned how to ride a two wheeler.

It was the downhill racers in an insane competition on a hill with a unique name who made the invention of the modern mountain bike a necessity. The Repack Downhill initiated the biggest change in cycling of the 20th Century, and helped turn a quaint hobby into an Olympic sport. And that was only the start.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Brilliant stuff as ever Charlie.

Cheers Junkyard saved me looking for that but Charlie as explains it well too, for obvious reasons.

Junkyard

See i could be a mod 😉

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Mountain bike racing started in Fairfax, California with the Repack downhill races between 1976 and 1984. At first the town was a little undecided about its place in bicycle history, but then over the next few decades thousands of mountain bikers came to town and spent millions of bucks.

That turned things around. Fairfax’s economy hums along nicely on two wheels, and now the town has erected a permanent recognition of the guys everybody laughed at while they were changing the world.

Although the entire project is not complete, yesterday Fairfax blocked the main street for a festival called “Streets for People,” and the main motif of the project was unveiled.

The project was paid for thorough donations, and donors receive recognition with their names on ceramic “sprockets.”

The image of the “Repack rider” shown at the top is a reversed version of this 1978 photo of me.

Great idea and im loving the ceramic sprockets.

samuri

Charlie, that’s a much better description of what happened than has previously been distributed by others in the past. Acceptance that lots of people (including me and my friends and our siblings before us) were riding very similar bikes offroad before and up to 1976 was an important point to make. The sport and industry of mountain biking can wholey be attributed to you and your friends and rightly so.

The monuments are very cool.

bullheart

Lovely stuff. Suitably bohemian too!

sputnik

I love mosaics. And as far as mosaics and ceramic art goes that there is a beauty .

Premier Icon Wookster
    Subscriber

Very cool!!!! 😀

IHN

I take it you know who Repack Rider is, right? Right?

I don’t, who is he?

The monument is pretty cool. I should take my Marin back to it’s spiritual home 🙂

Premier Icon iain1775
    Subscriber

Cool
    But Charlie, a baseball cap is no substitute for a helmet, tut-tut 🙂

And anybody not familar with the story, check out the DVD ‘klunkerz’
    Good film documentary that tells you Charlie’s and the rest of the guy’s history

khani

Awsome!!! 😀

messiah

Love it 8)

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber
    timb34

Excellent. Love the attention to detail on the mosaic version of the photo – it’s been reversed but the chainring and cassette have been put to the correct side.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

I don’t, who is he?

The bloke on the left:

klumpy

THIS is where mountain biking came from for ME, anyway.

Me and my mates were always churning round the army ranges, constantly looking for a new hill to fly down. We couldn’t afford dirt bikes but gravity was free and a bike that wouldn’t break let you use that big free engine.

While I do cycle up what I cycle down, riding for or choosing a bike for the climbs is like going skiing to ride the lifts! 😆

Premier Icon lowey
    Subscriber

Excellent. Thanks very much for posting that!

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

Thanks its a great monument. In keeping I think.

Me and my mates were always churning round the army ranges, constantly looking for a new hill to fly down. We couldn’t afford dirt bikes but gravity was free and a bike that wouldn’t break let you use that big free engine.

While I do cycle up what I cycle down, riding for or choosing a bike for the climbs is like going skiing to ride the lifts!

I like that sentiment.

Premier Icon ibnchris
    Subscriber

Nice one Charlie, I just picked up an email from Zero aftervbeing away for a couple of weeks and have followed it up. Think it’s looking awesome and looking forward to seeing our sprocket there if we’re not too late (chris from repack clothing)

thenorth

That’s Hulk Hogan in the middle, not Gary Fisher. What a stupid mistake to make.

I’ve always known & thought of the repack riders as the founding fathers of the sport.

Nice little mosaic btw.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Is GF on a linkage fork in that pic?

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Nice monument. I wana visit Fairfax now.

Is GF on a linkage fork in that pic?

Looks like an AMP fork.

djc1245

Wow!! I didn’t realise Repack Rider was THE Charlie Kelly. I feel rather honoured. Awesome!!!!!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Monument to some crazy guys who changed the bicycle world’ is closed to new replies.