Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Montenegro – Road or MTB Biking?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just booked the summer holiday to Tivat in Montenegro.

The roads look amazing for biking, but from reading old posts on here 5 years ago they may not be? Could look at mob hire, but that would mean driving to the best riding, which is not ideal.

Anyone got any recent experience?

Thanks

Oh good hire shops too?

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Roads were in good condition compared to West Yorkshire roads.
    Been a few times and cycled around the bay of kotor, plenty of cafes and bars on the 30-40km loop, I hired a mountain BSO for relatively cheap £10-15 a day

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks, we are going early July. Did you feel safe on the roads ? Were they busy?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Bump – any further views ?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I went to Dobrota on the Bay of Kotor in September. I hired a car and drove. The local drivers are slightly crazy but no more so than in other countries where I am a visitor taking things carefully in a hire car on local roads and they are in their own backyard.

It’s a beautiful country, apparently the most mountainous in Europe although i’m not sure on what basis they are measuring that.

I didn’t go cycling unfortunately but drove a fair bit and the roads were no worse than Surrey although some gravel type roads were up in the mountains.

I was in Kotor on the day that the Tour of Montenegro kicked off. Lots of lycra and expensive carbon but a very laid back feel to it.

ISTR the recommendations I saw were not to go MTBing without a guide as you could get either horribly lost or hurt on some of the trails if following them blindly.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Done a family holiday there – near Kotor for a week and then on Kotor Bay for a week.

Not ridden a bike there but the roads looked pretty unfriendly to bikes to me. If I was road biking then I’d definitely stay off the busier roads and head inland. Even being a pedestrian was hairy at times.

The place is pretty nice though. Bit untidy/littery/concretey in places, but friendly and cheap, and pretty good quality on the whole. Accommodation was a tad patchy though, so do your research on that.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I won’t book a bike in advance and see what it’s like when I get there.

We have booked a villa way up in the hills above Tivat with plenty of running from the door step which will be good, just appears to be a beautiful country not to be out in on a bike.

mattkkitch

@MTB-idle
    most mountains in Europe will mean highest % of the country’s area covered by mountains.

kcr
    Free Member

I don’t have recent experience, but cycled through Montenegro about 15 years ago. From what I remember, some of the main roads were a bit busy, but there was still some great cycling. You’re not too far from Lovcen, and if you like climbing, there’s a fairly epic set of hairpins to get off the coast from Kotor!
    There is some great mountain country around Durmitor and Tara Canyon (deepest river canyon in Europe, allegedly) in the north, but that’s a bit too far away for day rides, unfortunately.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

@MTB-idle most mountains in Europe will mean highest % of the country’s area covered by mountains.

Fanx Matt

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Montenegro – Road or MTB Biking?’ is closed to new replies.