Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Montenegro or Majorca in October?
  • blitz

Looking at possibly getting away in the Scottish October half term with the family. There’s some great deals to be had for both Majorca (Pollensa or Cala D’Or) and also Montenegro (Kotor Bay).

I’ve only been to Magaluf when I was 19 and would like to see more of the island proper. Aware of the road cycling potential. This would be a family holiday but could get out for a ride or two but that wouldn’t be the focus. Overall it feels like the safe option and I’m sure would be great.

Montenegro was a wild card that just came up in my searches. I had never considered it. I’ve never been to any balkan country, however kotor bay looks stunning and it would be something different. Not sure if the weather will be as reliable in October though compared to Majorca?

So any thoughts on which you would go for? The Montenegro option is coming in a few hundred cheaper.

Duggan

I’ve been to both (Majorca again a few weeks ago, Kotor a couple of years ago) and they are both really great places for a holiday.

Majorca is fantastic for road cycling which I am sure you already knew- though Cala d’Or is kind of in the wrong part if you wanted to cycle Sa Calobra and Cap Formentor etc. There is a really nice climb called San Salvador near Cala d’Or though and you’ll still be able to get out to ride. I’ve never been to Port Pollensa but I know loads of people base their cycling holidays there. If you do go, I would say definitely hire a bike in advance as I’ve struggled before when I’ve tried on the day and it transpired there was some sort of event on and there were very few left.

I really like Kotor and it’s beautiful. You do get cruise ships disgorging tonnes of passengers into the town for like a day at a time though. For cycling, I’ve no idea if it’s possible to hire a bike there and/or whether the roads are nice to ride or not. I couldn’t say for sure but I’m sure it would be plenty hot there in October.

julians
    Free Member

The weather can be hit and miss in Majorca at that time of year(end of Oct),so if the reason you’re going is for guaranteed sun,then you might want to consider somewhere else.

Itll probably be 50% warm sunny days (~20-25 Deg c) and 50% cloud or rain.

Good cycling weather though….

IHN

Kotor has the option of a daytrip to Dubrovnik, which is definitely worth doing.

We went to Dubrovnik for a few days in September, then down to Budva (just south of Kotor) for a few more. The weather was great, Kotor did look stunning as we went through on the bus.

dc1988

I love Mallorca, I also went to Magaluf as a teen and it doesn’t provide a fair representation of the rest of the island. The road cycling is great but Cala d’Or is about as badly located for it as you can get but there are a couple of monasteries on hills not far away that I’ve always thought look great to climb. Also worth noting that distance isn’t comparable to the UK, 10 English miles would be about 15 Mallorca miles as the roads are so much less draggy.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I have not been to Montenegro but I have worked in other Balkan countries and it’s an amazing part of Europe that I would love to go back to on my own time line / terms. Food was excellent and reasonable, best wine I have ever had was in Macedonia, scenery is great. Generally cheap, safe and beautiful ime (all be it limited and via work not with family).

tthew

Had a week in Port Pollenca in the October before lockdown 1. Loved it. My missis is no cyclist, but even she enjoyed rides out to some of the local towns and the first bit of the Formentor trip. Port Pollenca is a great base for anything cycling related, (been since on a proper cycling trip) and a nice town to boot. You’d not go far wrong, having said that I also like Croatia!

ji
    Free Member

Just to add that Polenca is a great family holiday location (ideally the old town rather than the port, although both are fine).

tthew

ideally the old town rather than the port

Oh – I’d have it the other way because of the beach. Old town definitely worth a visit mind.

Pieface

Beach in Port de Pollensa is a bit meh. It’ll do but nowt special. All the rest of the town is well set up for a family holiday.

redmex
    Free Member

Pollensa rather than the Port and the beach is only 4 miles max at Cala at Vicente but the Port is still good, the water will still be a good temperature

Nick

Friends of mine have a place in village called Bigova, which is close to Kotor and Tivat in Montenegro, just came back from my 3rd week out there.

Re Dubrovnik, personally I think Kotor has its own merits and charms, I have driven from Dubrovnik to Kotor and it’s only a couple of hours, bus at 7am from Kotor.

The climb up to the fort above Kotor certainly rivals walking Dubrovnik’s walls, plus in October it won’t be nearly 40 degrees that it was when we did it a few years back, there are hundreds of funky Austro-Hungarian forts to explore with absolutely no health and safety consideration if that’s your thing.

I’d like to go back to Montengro in October (or April) to do some gravel riding and hiking as temperatures will be more like a summer’s day here, low to mid 20s, so might not be warm enough if you want a lazy sit around in the sun holiday.

Montengrins are really friendly, the food is great, the beer is cheap, saw a few cyclists and in Kotor there’s even one of those public pump and tool stations to use.

I’ve driven this, would be cool to cycle

intheborders
    Free Member

We’ve a week booked in early September in Montenegro, cruising on a small yacht.

No help to the OP but good to hear how nice it is.

My last experience of the Balkans was working there over 20 years ago, the people & scenery were delightful, but the circumstances less so…

Nick

@intheborders – quite often see small yachts spending the night in Bigova bay, if you find yourself there the restaurant on the quay “Grispolis” is ace, fantastic fish restaurant and bar.

NJA

I did a cycle trip through Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and Greece a few years ago. The Kotor area was fabulous. I raved about it so much that me and the good lady are heading back to Dubrovnik and Kotor Bay this September for a proper holiday(her words not mine).

luv2ride
    Free Member

Pollensa rather than the Port and the beach is only 4 miles max at Cala at Vicente but the Port is still good, the water will still be a good temperature

Had some great snorkeling at Cala St Vinciente, remember getting dive bombed by cormorants looking for their lunch!
    We do seem to keep going back to Mallorca, great riding and my non-cycling other half seems happy finding stuff to do whilst I’m out on the bike. Returning again in 3 weeks, but for the first time no riding planned…

Had heavy rain in October mind, but cleared up quickly enough, just not wall to wall sunshine guaranteed that time of year.

dyna-ti

Montenegro.

Attracts a better class of visitor.

Majorca = Pond life. As in the stuff that clings to the side.

69er_Gav
    Free Member

Cycled those very switchbacks out of Kotor back in 2009. That was fully loaded touring on route to Athens, and thankfully only mid 20s temperature wise. Not an easy climb but so worth it for the forts and views back down to the bay. The roads over the otherside and on to Podgorica were not in the best of condition but a gravel bike would work a treat!

I highly recommend Montenegro and can’t wait to return

oldtennisshoes

We’ve been in the Scottish tattie weeks half a dozen times. The last couple of times 2018 and 2019, the weather has been decidedly meh with heavy rain and floods. I’m currently deciding if we’ll go this year or head to Portugal (Algarve) instead.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Done both.

Majorca is okay but a bit pricey for what you get IMO, and touristy. Road riding is good though. Not done any MTB.

Montenegro was much cheaper, more rustic, a bit rough around the edges but I liked it. I didn’t do any cycling but the roads didn’t look that safe, so I’d choose your routes carefully.

Mrs Gasket has just come back from road cycling in Portugal, near Porto, and loved it. Good value, great roads and excellent hotels (and she’s not easy to please…)

blitz

Thanks all. Looks like Cala D’or is out and a toss up between Pollenca and Kotor Bay with not much between them. I’m angling towards Montengro and good to hear so many positive opinions. Will put it to the crew and see what they say!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Currently out in Montenegro at the minute. It’s absolutely stunning, good people. Food is UK prices.

Kotor old town is stunning but very touristy.

We are staying on the west side of Kotor Bay which is much more chilled out.

Yesterday we drove out of Kotor into the national park. Lovely mountains and nuts elevation gain from sea level. The serpentine road out of Kotor is interesting though, it’s very narrow and quite interesting when a coach tries to pass you. Looks like quite a few people get killed falling off the road.

I’m not sure if I would want to come in October though I imagine the weather may be a bit rubbish and I can’t see there would be much to do then

I would love to find the sweet spot in weather though to come back walking or cycling as it’s a bit hot at the min at 35 degrees

intheborders
    Free Member

@intheborders – quite often see small yachts spending the night in Bigova bay, if you find yourself there the restaurant on the quay “Grispolis” is ace, fantastic fish restaurant and bar.

Thanks, and yes that’s our Thursday night stop – I’ll book it nearer the time.

itstartedwithakona
    Free Member

Just like lots of the responses above, I really enjoyed my trip to Montenegro a few years ago!

Spent a few days in Kotor and a few days in Budva. Hired a MTB (decent Specialized hardtail) from a place in Kotor and rode up those switchbacks. Beautiful views all the way up and even got encouragement from a few passing motorists! Near the top you can turn off the road and use a walking trail to descend all the way back into the town. Highly recommended!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Spoke to a local today and he said September is the best month to come as sea still warm, few tourist and low 20’s

He wasn’t convinced by October and proper winter he said lots of rain and from 0-10 degrees at sea level

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.