Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Montane FeatherLite Velo Jacket – anyone got one?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Thinking about one as a spring/autumn commuter jacket and also to stuff in the camelback for all day trips on the mtb.

Anyone got one and how do you rate it?

jamj1974

I have the H2O version and although it feels very thin and a would seemingly be a bit fragile – it has proved durable and breathable. Wind resistance and waterproofing are also good. I would recommend.

mattjg
    Free Member

No but had two Velocitys, the zip broke on both. I wouldn’t buy again. The zip above looks the same.

I now have a Gore Path, the zip looks stronger but I haven’t had it long enough for it to have a real good test.

Simon

Love mine. Had it years now, the sleeves are holed now from crashes and stuff, but they’re more robust than you’d imagine.
    Very light and packs down to the size of an apple, so no excuse not to have out with you.
    Doesn’t have taped seams so only shower proof but if regularly re-proofed it’s pretty good at keeping water out.
    I would buy another one without hesitation.

easygirl

I’vee had one 3 years, great for stuffing in bag, very wind resistant, showerproof for about 20mins, but great little jacket

RealMan
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure I’ve got one, used it quite a lot, arms are a bit flappy for my liking, and the neck quite tight, and not as waterproof as I’d like, but it packs down well and does what you’d expect. No problems from the zip. Think I’ve got a slightly different version to that one as mine has a flap over the zip.

ransos
    Free Member

Yes. It’s very good as a windproof for long road descents, but it’s a bit thin for mtbing I would think.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I have the smock version with short zip. Very serviceable with good wind protection & packs really small in it’s supplied mesh bag. not waterproof but dries quickly. Sleeves are a bit flappy. The smock is often reduced-at least it was when I bought mine.

failedengineer

I’ve got one which I use mainly for running, but now and then on the bike in a shower. Can’t really fault it for what it’s designed for – it’s not a full-on waterproof, but then again, it breathes really well so it’s near as damnit as good as one. IMHO of course.

fj1200
    Free Member

Have had two smock versions over the last 6 years, very wind resistant and will withstand heavy rain for about 15 mins then soaks through. Surprisingly crash resistant- perfect as a spring/autumn jacket

Clink

I have smock and gilet. Great as extra windproof layer and add surprising amount of warmth. Showerproof only. If you are on long mtb ride and only carrying one jkt I’d get something that is waterproof instead. I say this from personal experience!

Del

also broke a zip on one. now have a smock to ( hopefully ) avoid another zip issue.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Used mine for about 5 years, the zip has just broken though so need a new one.

organic355
    Free Member

Can’t seem to find a featherlite anywhere, is the singletrack any good?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Got the h2o version and just about falling apart after lots and lots of use through winters and getting stuffed into my pocket almost daily for years.
    Will just replace with the same when it finally dies
    Can’t fault it

Nobby

Had mine for 4 or 5 years & love it. Great as a windproof, okay in light showers, very light & seemingly pretty durable.

RealMan
    Free Member

Just have a quick glance at their website, this looks pretty good. Won’t pack as small, but looks more waterproof and a few extra features. Twice the price though.

http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/shell/velocity-jacket

Nobby

I have one of those too – they are waterproof but very heavy & sweaty compared with the Velo. Tend to use it o the road when it’s very wet or very cold.

ian martin
    Free Member

Great jacket but you should really try for size as I squeeze into a medium and don’t get any flappy arms.
    With a merino base layer it still works well in the colder months as its quite wind proof.

senorj

I have one – it has now overtaken my gore paclite alp x jacket as the default wind/shower proof if the weather looks moody.
    Also handy for daddy duties with the pram ! 🙂
    I may get another in a small as the medium has quite a long body.

nickc

Another broken zip here*, still use the jacket, but I wouldn’t buy another

* along with 2 other people I know.

organic355
    Free Member

how is the sizing on them, the only guidance they give is chest size and a 40 is a medium.

just measured my chest and its tight at 39″ but loose at 40″, so assume a medium is the right size.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I have a large and it’s snug shall we say, perfect for riding but if I were walking I would want the next size up. I fit nearly every other large with room to spare for comparison.

senorj

how is the sizing on them

I’m built like one of the Baggins clan ,
    (short body like a small barrel 😀 ) , so maybe not representative of the population at large.
    Medium will be right.

organic355
    Free Member

Ended up getting the Montane singletrack in the end reduced from merlin.

Really please with it (worn once today). Nice and lightweight perfect as a windbreak for the spring/summer/autum commute. better for me than thefetaherlite due to the front pocket for locker keys/building keypass.

Means the Gore fusion can get a much needed re-proofing ready for the winter.

hope the zip lasts on the singletrack, I can probably see why it goes as it is a pretty lightweight/flexible zip, but this aids in its “packability”.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Montane FeatherLite Velo Jacket – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.