Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Montane Extreme/Buffalo/Paramo for skiing
  • Clink

Looks like I’m going skiing over the hols, lucky me 😀

Last time I skied I wore my Buffalo Mountain shirt, but that is long gone. If I have to buy some new kit I’d rather it was multi-purpose. Any recommendations? The Montane Extreme kit looks good, or could try and pick up a cheap Paramo. Will also be used for week in Scotland in February and walking the dog.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Decathlon

Clink

What about it? I know they sell good cheap kit, but I’d rather pay a bit more and get something I use more often.

claudie

I went the same route as you in using multi purpose kit ( that I already had ) so base layer, fleece, paramo Quito or montane event and it has worked well. The only negative is not having a ski pass pocket so I have to wiggle about a bit at the lifts!

footflaps

I used to ski in standard outdoor attire, base layer thermal, soft shell and then GTX over the top. It can be pretty cold in the Alps over Xmas / New Year, low sun, not much daylight hours and temps of -20 at the top, so a down jacket is often a better bet early in the season. By late Feb / March a soft-shell over a thermal is all you need.

scotroutes

I’d just adopt a standard layering system. Base/thermal/shell.

I have a Buffalo Shirt but it’s worn, at most, twice a year. They are just too warm for UK use (and I live in the coldest part of the UK).

Paramo, I just don’t “get”. It has many followers but it still seems to have the same performance as a good, and more flexible, layer system.

FWIW I bought a Gore Power Active Shell jacket recently, for cycling, and it has a lift-pass pocket on the sleeve.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Buffalo’s are great for freedom of movement and warmth but limited in their capacity for carrying stuff. Best Value for money garment though.

footflaps

Paramo, I just don’t “get”. It has many followers but it still seems to have the same performance as a good, and more flexible, layer system.

+1

They also seem very heavy for the equivalent insulation level.

scaredypants

biking windproof/waterproof & plenty o’layers should see you fine

unless it rains, you’re golden – as long as you’re warm

Waterproof arse is potentially useful, either if you sit around on pistes etc or for snowy chairlifts. A pair of those “military” goretex overtrousers with bib-straps would be fine (and a cut down pair is what I ride in during winter)

kormoran
    Free Member

+1

They also seem very heavy for the equivalent insulation level.

Yes all this^^^

I have been using paramo salopettes for the last 10 years – skiing, mountaineering, winter climbing and walking. They are excellent in cold crappy conditions – typical scotland – but they are very heavy and too hot in anything other than sub-zero. With a goretex or similar shell it does make a great cold winter combo however. I can’t really see the point of the jackets, too heavy, hot and not great designs IME. Modern shells are all over them I think and far more versatile and cheap these days. My current shell is a Rab Charge, a hundred quids worth of superlight stretchy waterproof breathable jacket with superb hood and fit that weighs zip.

For Alpine touring have goretex trousers and a variety of baselayers thick or thin, the combo works across a wide temperature range and weighs roughly half the paramo salopettes. The cut means they aren’t ideal if not wearing ski boots though

If I was starting from scratch and downhill skiing only I would get a reasonable shell jacket that you can use all year round for most things and then get some ski pants or salopettes from Decathlon or similar.

Alpha1653

I once skied in my extreme and sweated my tits off all day. Couldn’t take it off as didn’t have layers and anyway it was way too bulky to fit in my bag. won’t be doing that again.

Now I use a westbeach shell ski jacket I got for about £25 from Sports Direct and a cheap fleece base layer. I’ve also got a small packable insulated jacket in my bag for when the temp really drops. That combo has served me fine for about 5 seasons all skiing around Dec / Jan in the Alps.

footflaps

I have been using paramo salopettes for the last 10 years – skiing, mountaineering, winter climbing and walking. They are excellent in cold crappy conditions – typical scotland – but they are very heavy and too hot in anything other than sub-zero.

I ski in softshell trousers now, don’t even bother with GTX. Currently using Arcteryx Procline trousers. Use a GTX shell or carry one if snow if forecast…

kormoran
    Free Member

I ski in softshell trousers now, don’t even bother with GTX. Currently using Arcteryx Procline trousers. Use a GTX shell or carry one if snow if forecast…

Yeah also a good option

In spring i’m wearing decathlon walking trousers and carry a pair of paclites in the pack. All good

Clink

Was looking at Rab Upslope trousers – fine with thermals?

karnali
    Free Member

Decathlon, Simon artificial insulation warm jacket and Simon softdhell trousers with a pair of thermal leggings underneath. Linsleeve base and thin fleece depending in temp and a shell jacket if it foul weather. That lit will cost you about £100 not including the shell, the warm jacket and softdhell trousers are great for walking dog as well.

Clink

Can I confirm do you mean Simond, rather than ‘Simon’? Ta.

footflaps

Was looking at Rab Upslope trousers – fine with thermals?

For skiing I wear Power stretch tights or bibs (if colder) under my trouser shell.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

+1 for Decathlon softshell (Simond) trousers. I use mine for skiing at home and abroad, open boating, and general mucking about in the woods. I think that were £40. Incredible for the price. What I wear on the top depends on the weather/season.

Yesterday on Cairngorm it was an insulated Haglofs TK Maxx special, but April in the Alps would be a thermal and a stretch thin softshell jacket.

mick_r

Yet another vote for the stretchy fleecy Decathlon softshell trousers – got some for what has been a particularly grim cx season and they have made life off the bike immeasurably better. I nearly bought some similar ones for twice the price when on holiday in Sweden but so glad I hung on and got these instead.

Clink

Cheers chaps – trousers ordered – I’ll see how they do.

ampthill

I haven’t skied in my Paramo Velez adventure smock. But I wouldn’t hesitate to do so.

Maybe I did ski in it indoors?

If I was one thing I’d say about Paramo is that it way more breathable than a membrane. The heavier stuff lasts well too. My wife is getting the zip replaced on an 11 year old jacket. She walks dogs for a living…….

Link to Alta 3 half price

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1157027

alpineharry
    Free Member

Im actually in Val d’sere just now for the week and am using a montane extreme jacket. With temperatures being around -10 without windchill even on the lower slopes I feel plenty warm everywhere I’ve been so far. That’s with a base layer, t shirt, sweatshirt and the montane extreme jacket. To be honest all those layers is probably a little much, jacket performs well though. I use the breast pocket for my lift pass and don’t have any problems when scanning

footflaps

Im actually in Val d’sere just now for the week

How’s the snow? We’re arriving Saturday….

alpineharry
    Free Member

Really good, plenty of it! Been snowing today so plenty of powder about too!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Montane Extreme/Buffalo/Paramo for skiing’ is closed to new replies.