Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Mont Blanc Explorer 3 towbar cycle carrier
  • superfli
    Free Member

I’m about to buy one of these for our new car:
    http://www.skidrive.co.uk/cycle/product_detail.php?partno=856025

Seems like a very good price.

But before I do, does anyone have any experience with them? Are they easy to mount MTBs on? would be used for 3 AM bikes on a car with 75kg max nose weight limit. Are they very heavy to move off the car (I can see that this might be why its cheaper than others). Do I need to turn handlebars?

Thanks

geoffj

I have a similar Thule one. Its a heavy old beast and I hate it!

You have to remeber to thread the bars through the frames with the retaining clamps in the right order – and provide some additional padding or they can scratch the frame.

I’ve had best success by removing pedals and twisting bars, but its a bit of a ball ache TBH.

I prefer to stick them on the roof and take the fuel economy hit.

superfli
    Free Member

I’m going from roof mounted to this rear type so to save on fuel econ (can take rack off easily when not in use).

I thought they were a lot easier to use than that… Is it worth me spending more for a fancier model? OR do you have to twist bars on all?

Also will the clamps fit odd shaped frames? eg Marin quad link

geoffj

I’m not sure fancier models are any easier. I can load the roof carriers at 30 seconds a bike. The row bar mounted one takes about 15 minutes to load, including time removing pedals and turning bars. The odd sized tubing may be an issue – id suggest seeing one in the flesh. I only bought mine because we have a big SOT kayak to transport too.

Edit: there must be plenty of folk that do like them though!

superfli
    Free Member

Oh well, I’ve ordered it as I need one for the w/e. Thanks for your help anyway Geoffj

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Mont Blanc Explorer 3 towbar cycle carrier’ is closed to new replies.