• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Del.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Monster-crossing a Surly Krampus
  • ajantom

Just idle thoughts while at work…

I love my Krampus, but it has become a bit underused since getting my Stooge Mk4.

I’ve got most of the bits that would enable me to set it up as a single-speed Monster-cross – Salsa Woodchippers, V-Brake drop bar levers + a few sets of mechanical brakes, etc.

My only question is on a stem – would one need to go higher and shorter?
    I normally ride it with swept back riser bars (Surly Sunrise) with a 45mm/0 degree stem.
    Would I want something like a 70mm/30-40 degree stem?
    What kind of saddle to bar drop should I be aiming for for comfy longish distance bimbling?

Just been looking for stems, but my Woodchippers are 25.4, and there are bugger all decent 25.4 stems around anymore!

Sanny
    Free Member

In short, yes to a shorter, higher rise stem as the Krampus is designed around flat bars. If you have lots of steerer, then you may get away with a short stem set to maximum height. I would say look to how Fargos are set up as a guide.

Oh and Cowchippers for the win. I have both types and reckon the Cowchippers are just as good off road but more comfy on the drops.

Cheers

Sanny

Rubber_Buccaneer

Woodchippers are 25.4, and there are bugger all decent 25.4 stems around anymore

Shim?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/stems/gusset-handlebar-shim-254-318-for-standard-mtb-to-318mm-oversize-black/

ajantom

I’ve got a couple of shims, but if I’m going to buy a stem I’d prefer to buy the right size.
    If I can’t find anything in 25.4 I’ll use one.

Bez

This is all very subjective, but I find drops work better with a longer position; trying to position the hoods in the place where you’d have your hands on a flat bar just doesn’t work for me. It’s a different riding style. When I’ve used the same frame with both drops and flats, I’ve had a longer stem with the drops.

Also I find that singlespeeds demand more stretch, because climbs mean standing up with a lot of force going through your back. So length and height both help here, in getting the BB-to-bars distance as high as possible.

At the end of the day, though, stems can be had for around a tenner or so, and are useful to have kicking about, so there’s no harm in just going for it and then tweaking it to find whatever position suits you: YMMV as always.

ajantom

Oh and Cowchippers for the win. I have both types and reckon the Cowchippers are just as good off road but more comfy on the drops.

Cheers for the advice 🙂

I was just browsing for Cowchippers, and then came across a good deal on some Pro Discover 30° Gravel Alloy Handlebars – they look similar to the Cowchippers in shape and flare.
    Good review on Ridinggravel.com – https://www.ridinggravel.com/reviews-2/pro-discover-big-flare-bars-checkpoint/
    Also bought a 35 degree, 75mm Ritchey stem, which should give me a bit more height at the bars.

Looking forward to some Monster-Truck Monster-Crossing 🙂

ajantom

From idle thoughts to a Monster(truck)cross 🙂
    Not the final bars, but I built it up with some Midge bars, and will fit the wider Pro Gravel ones when they arrive.
    Took it out for a 30km spin today, and down some frankly inappropriate DH single-track. Was ace!

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Love a single speed krampus, tried gears and hated every second.

Del

From idle thoughts to a Monster(truck)cross 🙂

you monster. 🙁

ajantom

you monster. 🙁

Ha! Joe loves it. That tells you all you need to know 😉
    Perfect for some of my special ‘light touch’ trails.

Del

oh yes, yes it does. :shudder:

😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Monster-crossing a Surly Krampus’ is closed to new replies.