Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • money no object……..the best hubs.
  • ton

reliability
    servicability
    what are the best hubs?

lucien

Probably Chris king, if you believe what’s written etc. Never had that kind of cash, so based on what I think is a reasonable spend, along with ability to service and get spares it would be Hope for me.

sambob
    Free Member

Royce?

schmiken

Purely on reliability and serviceability either XTR or Hope. The very best hubs are probably something along the lines of Tune, DT Swiss 190, Mack and Alchemy.

Mowgli
    Free Member

My gf has a pair of Royce road hubs which are the smoothest, lowest resistance hubs I’ve seen. Give the front wheel a spin and it will keep going for about 5 mins.

I suspect the mtb hubs might have better sealed bearings which might add to resistance though.

neninja
    Free Member

I really like the look of the Industry Nine hubs – happy with my Hopes though – it’s great to know you can get spares pretty much everywhere.

wrecker
    Free Member

Hadley? Dt 240? King?
    I do like the hubs on my crossmax SX. No idea what they are tho…..

njee20
    Free Member

DT Swiss Carbon 180.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Royce.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Something with ceramic bearings I would suggest.The usual suspects Dt Swiss,Tune or Chris King.

flap_jack
    Free Member

1995 Shimano XT. Keep on top of servicing and they last forever.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Haven’t got a clue if these are any good but I quite like the look of them. Bloody expensive though and whether they’d last in uk conditions is another matter.
    http://www.kappiuscomponents.com/pages/recent-press

orangeboy
    Free Member

My old Dt 240 just won’t die very dull to look at
    Easy to get the few spares you need
    Only thing now is the special tool is rather exspencive to buy

theocb
    Free Member

@orangeboy. There is a guy on ebay who sells the ring nut tool for £20 with free postage (he is in Australia though).

DT 240’s for me.

tazzymtb

phil wood Mine have been epically brilliant and out lived anything else by a mile. not the lightest, but beautifully engineered.

njee20
    Free Member

Surely Carbon 180s are better than 240s if we’re excluding price! Ceramic bearings, lighter, carbon bits.

boblo
    Free Member

Yep Phil Wood or Royce. Engineering over consumerism every time.

orangeboy
    Free Member

The 190 does look a better spec just not something I’ve had myself

Although my next wheels will have Royce hubs as I’ve always wanted some
    Just not the gold and carbon ones

tomhoward

Chris king every time for me!

njee20
    Free Member

The 190 does look a better spec just not something I’ve had myself

180 now, the pimpier 190s!

accu
    Free Member

since years best experiences with dt swiss hubs, the higher ones with the ratchet freewheel system..
    absolutely perfect, easy to get spares, easy to disassemble..
    and the newer ones are ready for all different standards..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Subjective.

For me shimano – best durability for the £ for my use at a reasonable weight.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

boblo – Member

What does that even mean!????

Hope XC for sure.

What about Goldtec? Are they any good? I’m sure you’ll never have a problem getting spares for them (same goes for Hope)

ashfanman
    Free Member

If money really was no object then I guess I’d be looking at DT180s. I’d be more than happy with ‘just’ 240s though.

EDIT: And, in real life, I am more than happy with Hope.

bruneep

Haterz will hate.

But

Hope for me, never ever had an issue.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Though nether of those actually ‘engineer’ the bits that they spin on. They just buy sealed bearings like pretty much everyone else.

aa
    Free Member

having owned royce hubs (and have a pair on my road bike) i can confirm they are excellent quality. They work. Full stop. Havent had cause to touch them in 5 years.

King,of course, are nice but FWIW i like the fact that they’re uk made. Having said that, i’d like go give paul components or phil wood a go om my next mtb build.

tazzymtb

funny as lots of riders have been having problems with kings freezing up and generally being a bit crap in cold conditions. Nothing funnier than watching someone having to wee on their favourite bling hubs to get them to work again 😆

willej
    puddings
    Free Member

Have run Goldtec Hubs on my winter road bike (i9 in summer) and MTB’s without problems or service for a number of years. On the highly scientific front wheel spin test, they spin far longer than my mates DTs and Kings.
    Plus they make a good loud noise when free-wheeling and that seals the deal in my book

njee20
    Free Member

Thing with Royce is that you read their ‘about’ stuff, and it’s always athletes from 10-20 years ago. Seem to be a brand who used to be incredible, but haven’t really kept up.

Why are those hubs £1100? Genuine question?

aa
    Free Member

machined from a solid block of ti i beleive.

For me, the rohce thing is,and its the same criticism of some other excellent uk manufactufers. You look at their websites and they look shit. And, they have no marketing budget. So, if you’re after high end hubs there are certain go to brands, thats not to say royce hubs aren’t great but where can you actaully see/feel a pair? Plus, royces website is lacking in technical info.

When all’s said and done, they are truly awesome hubs. I think chipps reviewed a pair and rated them highly.

tomhoward

For £1100 I bet that gold colour isn’t just paint.

njee20
    Free Member

So they’re complete form over function? Nope, really don’t get it!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member
    For £1100 I bet that gold colour isn’t just paint.

Anodizing innit.

Its what all da G’s are into.

willej

Anodizing innit.

Its what all da G’s are into.

They’re made from titanium, with titanium nitride finish.
    Goldtec used to do a whole range of titanium sprockets and chainrings (and some hub internals) with that finish in the early 90’s. BLING!

duirdh
    Free Member

As usual, OP hasn’t even bothered saying type of riding or axle requirements.
    As usual, lots of pointless uninformed recommendations, “what I have” replies, bickering, sniping and showing off!

disappointing! (except Cynic-al)

d45yth
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member

funny as lots of riders have been having problems with kings freezing up and generally being a bit crap in cold conditions. Nothing funnier than watching someone having to wee on their favourite bling hubs to get them to work again
    When the last time time you actually saw this happen? King changed the ring-drive lube years ago to combat this. If you’ve seen it in recent years, I can bet that they hadn’t been serviced with the correct lube. 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

As usual, OP hasn’t even bothered saying type of riding or axle requirements.
    As usual, lots of pointless uninformed recommendations, “what I have” replies, bickering, sniping and showing off!
    disappointing! (except Cynic-al)

Really? It’s a ‘money no object’ thread! 20 year old mid range parts are a peculiar selection.

duirdh
    Free Member

Yes, Really!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘money no object……..the best hubs.’ is closed to new replies.