Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Money men- best way to invest lump sum (while I'm away)?
  • walla24
    Free Member

100K inheritance to put somewhere trouble is:

by the time it comes through I will be 2 months in to traveling/working abroad (up to 12mnths).

most fixed term deposits need you to open and pay in lump within 1 month

Have it paid into my regular savings account then?
    Appreciate your time

allthepies
    Free Member

90% in coke+hookers.

Just blow the rest.

Rickos
    Free Member

How long do you want to squirrel it for? Long term or will you buy a house the minute you get back?

walla24
    Free Member

Rickos- ideally 1 year max fixed term then property on return.

allthepies- that’s what im doing on holiday 😆

redthunder
    Free Member

Gold coins.

slowmart
    Free Member

Pity you can’t buy a property before you go an get an agent to let it for you.

Otherwise how risk averse or not are you?

HB47

Use a Money Market account with an auto roll , that way if your plans change you can simple pull the capital back. What ever you do you aren’t going to get paid a fortune with base rate so low.

Unless you are willing to lose a significant amount avoid any sort of commodity or equity risk

You might want to consider placing it with a decent building society if you will be coming back and will need a mortgage – some give preference to existing account holders.

piemonster

This thread ended with the first response.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i don’t see what the issue is with internet banking and all.

property 100% for me, don’t know about england and all but here in cornwall with cash there are some stunning deals to be had.

research the market now, long term rental or holiday rental (personally i prefer the latter), talk to agents, line up solicitor and make a plan.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

property 100% for me, don’t know about england and all but here in cornwall with cash there are some stunning deals to be had.

Property is a very il-liquid asset, coupled with high entry and exit fees (solicitors,stamp duty and agents) make it a very long term investment IMO. Unless the OP found a house he wanted to live in when he gets back from overseas, I wouldn’t be tying that amount of money up in property for anything less than 10 years (planned, sometimes sh1t happens hand you have to liquidate before you planned)

Shares are also a bit risky over a one year period, also, IMO. Big set of kahunas that can drop 100k into shares in one to go, drip feeding in minimises the risk.

If the OP definitely wants access to the money in 1 year I reckon you’ll have to take the hit on misery interest rates paid on cash accounts. All depends on the personal circumstances, I guess 😀

walla24
    Free Member

I have experience with shares but to be honest don’t have enough knowledge to confidently invest such an amount.

Agreed buy to rent would be ideal but il be away before the money comes through.

knottyknotty
    Free Member

allthepies +1 say no more

Aidy
    Free Member

For a year, fixed rate bonds aren’t significantly better than a decent savings account.

From a quick eye, there’s around .25 of a % point difference, so less than £250, given as it’ll be for 10 months, and there’s still tax to consider. For not faffing, I’d just dump it in a savings account with a decent interest rate.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

If you do go the cash route font forget that only 85k is guaranteed by the government with each institution, so you want it across two accounts. Some of the building societies and banks can belong to the same groups so check that also.

spchantler
    Free Member

travelling you say? you can buy a lot of blow for 100k, could make you a few million on your return….its a dodgy business tho…

walla24
    Free Member

85K protected— good point

Joe

I love how funny lots of people think they are on here. 99% of it wouldn’t be amusing even to school kids.

walla24
    Free Member

I much appreciate the helpful comments of the majority 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

100K inheritance to put somewhere trouble is:

by the time it comes through I will be 2 months in to traveling/working abroad (up to 12mnths).

most fixed term deposits need you to open and pay in lump within 1 month

Have it paid into my regular savings account then?
    Appreciate your time

You mean where to stash the loot from your latest blag whilst you do your time?

walla24
    Free Member

Ha…I reckon I’m the most law abiding citizen on here!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Pity you can’t buy a property before you go an get an agent to let it for you.

Buy 2/3rds of my house (see classifieds) and we’ll split the rental income?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

1)3% on Gold and Silver as a hyperinflation hedge
    2)30% on Equities. I think the stock market will do ok while your away.Aberdeen Asset management,Diagio,Home retail Group and Optos would be my suggestions.
    3)Checkout the new savings vehicles at Friends Mutual for a decent return on your Capital.Invest maybe 30% of your Capital here.
    4)Ten grand in peer to peer lending,ie Zopa.
    5)Perhaps the rest in an Easy access Cash or share ISA
    You should try and make your money work for you while you are away.Most high street offerings are an insult.Neil.

walla24
    Free Member

Wow thanks Neil, would I need to do that through some sort of financial advisor or can it be done online?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I did most of it online.Remember some of the above carries risk.You may wish to study and explore alternatives.I used Natwest stockbrokers and a Virgin Bank financial advisor.Others are avalable.Good luck.

Aidy
    Free Member

What d’you reckon the returns would be, for 12 months?

Rickos
    Free Member

Hargreaves Lansdown are good for shares ISAs, etc as they don’t charge you 5% for the privilege of putting your money with them.

http://www.hl.co.uk/

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Gerbils

Spend the whole lot on gerbils
    A ratio of approx 10% male and the rest female should be the most efficient
    Wen you get back you should easily see a 100000000000% increase on your investment

Or you could just ask a bunch of randoms on a bike forum instead

🙂

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Whats your point Aidy?Would you prefer wallla to leave his money in a bank account.He will be losing money due to inflation.Also walla dont listen to the people on here telling us property is a one way bet.It is still well overpriced compared to wages and is going to fall further.

nealglover
    Free Member

He will be losing money due to inflation.

It would be far better to lose money due to taking financial advice from people you’ve never met on a bike forum 😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

It would be far better to lose money due to taking financial advice from people you’ve never met on a bike forum

Balls to that, I’ve just PayPal gifted £100K over.

walla24
    Free Member

No fighting please, I am just asking advice!

I will obviously thoroughly research anything that sounds interesting before handing over my cash 😯

Just good to get ideas that I haven’t thought of so appreciate the input.

Thanks for the link Rickos

Aidy
    Free Member

Whats your point Aidy?

Um, I wasn’t trying to make a point. I was genuinely curious as to what returns you’d expect.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

My portfolio of shares with dividends has gone up £1700.00 since mid December.Try achieving that with your bank accounts.Walls asked for ideas.I provided some the rest of you were negative and cynical Why bother coming on here if you have nothing to say.

Aidy
    Free Member

You seem a little defensive, are we not supposed to ask for expected performance when given financial advice?

I mean, I’m sure I could google and find out how various things have performed over the last year or so, but when it seems like you’ve already done the research it would be silly not to ask.

£1700 sounds like an impressive return over the space of a month and a bit, but it’s not an amazingly useful figure without knowing what the initial investment is.

nealglover
    Free Member

Why bother coming on here if you have nothing to say.

I told him not to take financial advice off strangers on the Internet.

In itself that’s possibly classed as financial advice.

But it’s not the sort that can cause him to lose his inheritance is it ?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Neal,Financial advisors are strangers as well.Many of them have there own agenda to.Not sure I would trust them anymore than the people on here.Walla asked for ideas.I provided some.Why dont you make an effort to do the same instead of making pointless,negative comments.

nealglover
    Free Member

He asked for advice. And I gave him some.

If you don’t like the fact that it doesn’t agree with yours, then that’s something you need to come to terms with, because that’s what happens in life. People will disagree with you.

For me, he fact that you have described advice to be careful about taking financial advice from a stranger on the Internet as “negative and pointless” would put you in a sub category which is slightly below “strangers on the Internet” in the list of people I would take financial advice from.

walla24
    Free Member

Sheeeesh! Must every thread have an argument!

Thank you all for your advice/ideas.

——THREAD CLOSED————

nealglover
    Free Member

Sorry, but I think financial advice is quite an important thing to get right.
    And to get from the right place.

Other people have different opinions.

But that’s what you get when you ask for advice, different opinions.

cb

I’d stick 30k in premium bonds – might stay static but always a chance of a win…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Money men- best way to invest lump sum (while I'm away)?’ is closed to new replies.