Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mondraker bearing life. Do they wear quickly?
  • kudos100
    Free Member

I’m interested in the new Foxy, but am slightly put off by the reports that Mondrakers have a habit of eating bearing quickly. Not ideal for a bike that will be ridden all year round in the Uk.

I’ve looked at the bearing kits and they seem like they are the same from 2010 onwards.

What are peoples experiences of owning mondrakers and bearing life?

Brake-neck
    Free Member

No problems at all with mine so far, I ride in the Tweed Valley all year round. I have the 2014 XR

honourablegeorge

The Summum had a persistent habit of bolts coming loose, which probably affected bearing life.

ks562
    Free Member

Other half had the foxy xr 2014. Bolts had a nasty habitat of coming loose quickly at the most frustrating of times (middle of a race anyone?) and bearings needed changing after 6 months. Chainstay snapped as well but that could just be bad luck… silverfish relatively quick to sort out though.

butterbean
    Free Member

No smoke without fire!

Other half had the foxy xr 2014. Bolts had a nasty habitat of coming loose quickly at the most frustrating of times (middle of a race anyone?) and bearings needed changing after 6 months. Chainstay snapped as well but that could just be bad luck… silverfish relatively quick to sort out though.

Sounds like the friend of one of the guys I ride with.

Although he wished his bearings lasted 6 months. 6 weeks more like.

Bent bolts, sheared one & cracked chainstay. A month for a new back end. Bike sold.

He bought a Spec next, but I may be biased in that regard. For something less than 6 months old, his Mondraker was a heap of sh*t.

ThePinkster

My 2013 Dune’s been fine and ridden through all sorts of weather and conditions.

jpacey
    Free Member

i have a foxy r 2011, the original bearings wore out very quickly and I had a lot of issues with the bolts coming ;oose/creaking. Bolt loosening was sorted with decent threadlock and replacement bearings have faired better than the factory issued ones. I gave up jet washing it which will have helped the bearing life but makes cleaning the frame a real hassle. I don’t think mud was taken into consideration when they designed it in spain

kudos100
    Free Member

I don’t think mud was taken into consideration when they designed it in spain

I have a feeling this might be the case. It’s annoying, as it seems like a great bike in terms of geometry and suspension. Using the same bearings for 4 years when they wear out quickly seems a bit daft.

kudos100
    Free Member

Anyone else own a mondraker?

hudders
    Free Member

Yes, I own a 2014 Dune, 1st set of bearings only lasted 100miles, but that was early last year so shit weather, Silverfish sent me a replacement set of bearings and they have lasted well, including doing Megavalanche, and most know 2014 was not especially dry, ;-), not had any problems with bolts coming loose but I do check regularly and did put some tipex before mega to keep an eye on the bolts without having to put a allen key on them.

kudos100
    Free Member

Yes, I own a 2014 Dune, 1st set of bearings only lasted 100miles, but that was early last year so shit weather, Silverfish sent me a replacement set of bearings and they have lasted well, including doing Megavalanche, and most know 2014 was not especially dry, ;-), not had any problems with bolts coming loose but I do check regularly and did put some tipex before mega to keep an eye on the bolts without having to put a allen key on them.

100 miles? Jesus. Why do you think the first set were so bad?

hudders
    Free Member

Ps, ace bike, would get another no question, yes bearing and pivot placement is not mud friendly but it bloody works so it is what it is.

hudders
    Free Member

1st set was bad due to them being poorly sealed for British riding, I think they were the same quality as previous years hearing complaints about Mondrakers, I was a bit pissed at first but a replacement set has held up fine, plus they are a common size so find beter if you are having problems, I feel Mondraker should not cheaper out on the bearings but I think they have sorted it on the 2015 bikes, either way it’s not a deal breaker, the bike is good to pass due to one fixable thing.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve owned four Mondrakers, all with the Zero suspension system.

A couple were secondhand and I still never needed to change a single bearing.

Bolts falling out is another matter, really surprised to hear they still haven’t sorted that!

I wouldn’t get another TBH, prefer something simpler and more sturdy these days.

superfli
    Free Member

Have a word with Scott in a few months time. He bought a foxy a couple of months ago.

kudos100
    Free Member

Have a word with Scott in a few months time. He bought a foxy a couple of months ago.

Yeah I saw that on FB, I’ll give him a shout Dave.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mondraker bearing life. Do they wear quickly?’ is closed to new replies.