• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by cbike.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hire cars. Mondeo estate and bike bags
  • kilo

Need to hire a car at Glasgow airport for a long weekend but will have two evoc bike bags. Anyone know if they will fit in the back of a mondeo or Octavia estate?

Mat

I’ve got a mondeo Mk4 estate, the boot is a cavern but it takes careful manoeuvring to fit my medium Soul in the boot wheels off seats up (it does go in). I’d reckon no chance in a bike bag. However seats down 2 bike bags I reckon no problem. No experience of an Octavia but they’re a smaller estate akin to a golf or focus estate (never sure why everyone always lumps them in the same size as Mondeos?).

mashr

As above, we’ve got an Octavia and a Mondeo (both estates) and they are different classes. The Mondeo is far larger, but the Octavia does have a useful boot.

A Mondeo should be absolutely fine for two decent sized bags, Octavia could be a bit of a squeeze

trail_rat
    Free Member

How many passengers and how much other luggage.

We got a hardshell bike box and 2*65l bags in the back of a seat ibiza in Majorca.

Not convinced id have got a second one in without having to bunji the boot shut but I’d expect to get them.in a Mondeo for sure if only 2 passengers

Got 4 people , the bike and 2 full siD suitcases and 2*65 litre bags in the Berlingo at this end without much effort. – hire a Berlingo if you can.

andrewreay

Think you’ll be more than OK with 2 up front and seats down and maybe OK with seats up if soft bags (well maybe a bit of leaning forwards).

BTW, if you do have a choice, the current Octavia has a larger boot than the current Mondeo according to AutoCar:

Boot space
    With a keen eye on practicality, every Octavia is better at load carrying than the equivalent Volkswagen Golf, but the estate is a luggage-lugging tour de force, able to hold 610 litres of freight. That’s a figure which can only be beaten by the 680-litre Peugeot 308 SW. However, we still rate the Octavia as the better all-rounder.

This huge amount of space can be further expanded by dropping the rear seat back, reaching 1,740 litres and beating certain cars from the class above – the Ford Mondeo and Mazda6 for example. There is also a useful false floor

Mondeo Est 525L / 1,630L
    Octavia Est 610L / 1,740L

Passat bests them both if that’s an option? Or as trail_rat says, try to find a Berlingo?

kilo

Two people two evocs and probably only the one soft sided hold-all, sounds like a mondeo might be ok.

aP
    Free Member

Used to get 2 mtbs in soft bags in a mk2 Focus estate.

NZCol

You can get evos into an Octy upright. I’ve had 2 and a kid In the other seat albeit I had to take the wheel out the side nearest them. HTH

spooky_b329

Mondeo Est 525L / 1,630L
    Octavia Est 610L / 1,740L

That surprises me, we had a Mk3 Mondeo estate and the boot was caverness, we got four complete bikes in the boot by just removing wheels, and our huge DHB soft bike bags would slide in with the rear seats down. My Dad had the Octavia estate, it was much less bike friendly. Higher floor with a cubby below which is not as useful for bikes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

being able to fit a million 1inch cubes used for measuring that literage is not the same as being able to take large objects.

NZCol

Exactly but an Octavia will take an evoc bag upright , it’s tight but it goes in, you have to tilt it. Our car in France is an Octy and we put two Evocs in it many many times every year.

steveh

I’m only holiday in the alps at the moment, 2 of us, 2 evoc’s plus hold luggage. We booked a focus sized car and got a citroen c4 cactus, way smaller than a mondeo or octavia and it still all fitted in. Either of the ones you mention would be no problem.

FuzzyWuzzy

I have an older style Octavia estate (mk 2) and it was fine with one Evoc, one cheap softshell bike bag, two large suitcases and carry on bags with the back seats down. I think I took out the false floor bit that usually makes it flat to load (not sure if the current model still has this).

5lab

its not actually a larger usable boot for bikes though – boot space is measured up to the parcel shelf/roller blind jobber, and vw group cars typically have this very high up, with several things intruding into the boot spece – the equivalent mondeo (unsurprisingly, as it’s a class larger) is a much more useful shape, even if the cubic feet below the windowline is smaller.

(either should be fine for 2 bike bags though)

matthewmountain
    Free Member

The other thing, is like rucksack volume which is also measured in litres I wouldn’t be surprised if one manufacturer used different volume measurements to others.

The Octavia estate also has a lip on the edge of the boot for some reason, which makes sliding things in and out far more difficult. No such lip on the Mondeo. Totally agree the Mondeo seems to have a far larger boot, despite what the numbers may say. I wonder what test the journalists did to check boot size?!

bails

This is a useful site for boot measurements. The most important thing for bikes will usually be length and width as that’s how most people load bikes into cars.

https://www.ridc.org.uk/content/car-search

nedrapier

And it’s not useful for the OP, but the Mondeo has quite a bit more space available under the boot floor. There’about 4″ of space down to the spare wheel, taken up by polystyrene moulding with pockets in it. Octavia uses this space at the cost of having a step down from the boot lip and up to the folded down seats. Mondeo gives you a flat loading area, at the expense of the extra space. Still the most useable space though, wide and flat and less intursion than anything similar.

Alltalking older models though. Mk 4 ish. Might have changed, might not!

5lab

I wonder what test the journalists did to check boot size?!

in the UK? looked at the broschure and copy-pasted it in.

US magazines are far better – they use things like how many carry-on bags can you fit in the boot, how many pingpong balls can you get in an oddments pocket – to see how usefully sized places are

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g22117023/the-best-compact-suvs-and-crossovers-for-hauling-cargo/

shame the car selection there doesn’t match what we have here

cbike
    Free Member

You can get a tandem and a 27 inch wheel electric bike in a ford mondeo estate. Two bikes in bags should be a doddle.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hire cars. Mondeo estate and bike bags’ is closed to new replies.