Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 2009 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi hatchback – any good?
  • ElShalimo

Looking at a 2009 hatchback with 80k miles for a commute to work in comfort and weekend bike, tent carrying car.
    Anyone got one?
    Anything to be wary of?
    Pros & Cons ?
    Thanks

Edit: 12-15k per annum and I’m a 1.86m gibbon

chris_db
    Free Member

I’ve had an 08 model since new. It’s done 110K now. I only replaced the front pads this year, the rear trailing arm bushes are a weakness and go quite early, good news is you can get pattern bushes now instead of having to replace both arms with Ford items for rather a lot of money. They wear the tyres on the inside edge where you can’t see them. You are best off with the 16″ wheel model, my friend has one with 17″ wheels and it eats tyres. It’s fast enough, does 45mpg and I will be keeping mine until it’s beyond economic repair.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yes, got exactly that. I really like it – Comfortable, loads of space, plenty of power, drives well, reliable, cheap parts (generally) if it does go wrong.

The only negatives I can think of
    – Tyres are expensive – £125ish each (mine’s the 17″ one)
    – The dual mass flywheel is expensive to replace (assuming you do the clutch at the same time) – up to £1k together at 60ish k miles so see if that’s been done
    – it’s a big car and it’s somewhat awkward to park without parking sensors as the shape of the boot/bonnet make it quite hard to judge where they end.

The only thing I think I’d change mine for is another one of the new ones which I really like the look of (but then I’m not going to pay for that so it’ll probably be a few years yet)

rocketman
    Free Member

Ours is a ’10 and its been pretty good although I don’t think I’d buy another one

It’s a clever car there’s a lot going on and we’ve had a number of niggling faults related to minor instruments and controls and engine management and stuff under the bonnet making noises that you wouldn’t hear if the rest of it wasn’t so quiet.

Actual running costs have been rock-bottom the maintenance requirements are minimal.

A lot of car it’s big enough to have a party in with the seats down & functionally it does everything quite well but Ford’s qc stops it from being as good as it could be

ElShalimo

thanks guys – that’s good to know
    Does the DMF need replacing at 60k, or does it just tend to go around then?
    Anyone had any DPF or EGR issues?

I was looking at the 140 bhp, is this the best engine to go for?

nemesis
    Free Member

Mine started to rumble at 60k which seems relatively low but mine’s done a lot of town /traffic driving which is the worst thing for it.
    i just got it for straight away. It may well have been fine for a while though.

Mine is the 2.0 tdci 140bhp model and that has plenty of power unless you think you’re a F1 driver. I think that’s the most popular engine anyway.

ElShalimo

I’m not an F1 driver so it sounds like plenty of grunt. This may go against STW standards but “making progress” on the M62/M60 is not possible most of the time when I’m commuting.

I did test drive a 1.8 EcoNetic 5spd but it was a bit underwhelming to drive, maybe it was the gearing?

nemesis
    Free Member

I haven’t tried that but it seems strange it’d be 5 speed rather than 6 like mine which certainly is much better on the motorway

matt_outandabout

Our Galaxy has that engine, in 140 flava.

Sounds like a tractor, ours had new clutch at 65k before we bought it, not as fuel efficient as they and computer suggests.

But, pulls like a train (less ‘peaky’ power than VW), cruises really well, even 5 up, canoes on roof, bikes on back to to southern France.

igm

I had a 58 140 and a 61 163 and I’ve now got a S-max 163.

Nice drive, far better than my wife’s A3s and A4s (she currently has a 320d which is better so long as you run summer / winter tyres).
    Quieter than either the Audis or the BMW.
    More reliable than any of the Audis – the BMW has been ok.
    Big, refined, relaxed and still handles well. And it’ll take a very heavy bike rack on the tow bar – big nose weight rating.
    I think I’ll have another after the S-Max.

Not a lot to choose between 140 and 163 – a little but not much.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

2010 2.0 diseasel here, estate version, Titanium X & It’s flippin enormous! Only had it 5 months but it’s a lot of car for what I paid. Showing 53mpg but is 50 actual, solid to drive, quick enough for me, very quiet. Only niggle I’ve had was the one touch drivers window, I thought it was a faulty switch but I read about a reset you can do which worked, happy days.

squirrelking
    Free Member

2010 2.0 diseasel here, estate version, Titanium X & It’s flippin enormous! Only had it 5 months but it’s a lot of car for what I paid. Showing 53mpg but is 50 actual, solid to drive, quick enough for me, very quiet. Only niggle I’ve had was the one touch drivers window, I thought it was a faulty switch but I read about a reset you can do which worked, happy days.

50mpg? Are you a nun?

Even playing the efficiency game I couldn’t get the 115 (or early ST) that high on 400 mile round trips. If that’s what you’re actually getting then fair play, I assume the X is a 140?

Cougar

I had a 58 plate 140 titanium. Awesome motor, would have another in a heartbeat.

Cougar

Oh, and I’ve got roof bars I can sell you (-:

renton
    Free Member

cougar…. are the bars for a hatch or estate?

Cougar

Hatch.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

50mpg? are you a nun?

No, don’t fly & don’t hold others up either. (even had a speeding ticket 4 years ago)
    Maybe I just know how to drive economically?
    The ‘actual’ was really 49.9mpg, checked from full tank to full tank, miles covered, which was over 650, convert litres used to gallons (4.54609 ltrs to the gallon) etc etc. This also is mainly going on 15 miles each way to work. haven’t done a big trip yet that I’ve checked.
    Am a little bit dissapointed cos I used to get 54 actual out of my Passat, the computer on that was pretty accurate. I even got an actual mpg of 47 in the wife’s 320CLK last May from Boroughbridge to Fort Willy which surprised me!

squirrelking
    Free Member

That’s pretty impressive then, certainly gives me hope that moving to one will be less of a hit than I think (I can easily get the book 56mpg out my Civic when all is well). Was even swithering over the estate. Not so much now if you can get decent economy without taking the mick…

bensales
    Free Member

Mine was great, had an 08 Zetec 2.0 TDCI. No mechanical problems with it in 50k miles, other than the cable for the bonnet release seizing and requiring a new cable and latch. Ford said it was a common thing, so something to check and keep greased as it was pretty expensive for Ford to force the bonnet and replace it.

weeksy

Anyone had any DPF or EGR issues?

Me. Hence why I now have a Civic.

ElShalimo

Weeksy – what happened?

failedengineer

I had an ’11 163BHP one for 85,000 miles. Apart from a little ECU glitch (fixed under warranty) it was faultless. It was an estate, therefore huge. 17″ tyres aren’t too expensive if you get ‘Budget’ brands such as Falken. 45 mpg and fast enough. Superb handling for such a big car, not quite as good as a 3-series, but better than anything from VAG.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

06 focus estate with the same ford/pug 2.0 diesel + 6 speed box here, never missed a beat, running costs cheap as chips, I’ve had high 50’s mpg on a motorway run.

Does the DMF need replacing at 60k

up to 106k on ours now.

shameless plug, ours will be up for sale very soon and we have full round of STW necessities (boot liner / roof rack / dog guard / boot divider)

renton
    Free Member

Ive currently got a 2011 2.2 titanium x sport estate.

They are big long cars, mine always stickes out of car parking slots when we do the weekly shop.

I get around 40mpg average out of ours.

no issues with the engine on mine (touchwood) but I had an issue witht eh tracking/geometry being out a week back with resulted in the inside of the front tyres being down to cords.

I also had a 2.0 c max on a 54 plate which gave no end of problems with DPF and EGR despite being run up the motorway everyday (plus a lot of spirited driving)

Not sure if the newer DPF set up is different?

weeksy

ElShalimo – Member

Weeksy – what happened?

I had a split hose between manifold and turbo, meant my heater internally wasn’t getting up to temp.

That cost £800 as they had to remove subframe.

I then also had “engine malfunction” often, which I was told was the DPF type stuff, plus he told me the clutch would be due in next 10,000 or so… that was it for me… I had 93,000 on it and got rid to a dealer.

It may have been fine, it may have been great for 50,000 but I couldn’t risk another £1000 bill.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve had a 13 plate 163ps estate for the last 16k miles/10 months.
    I get about 45mpg average according to the obc.
    Nice comfortable place to be on the motorways.
    Pulled a 5m long bike trailer down to Garda and you wouldn’t have ever noticed it was there. Still got >40mpg cruising at 80 with that on the back.
    Very brisk and handles well when you do get the chance to rag it.

digger95
    Free Member

Mostly the same car AFAIK – 2007 TDCI Estate Mk3 143-184k
    DMF went at 160k, I recall 120-180k is typical on Mk3 could it really be half as long on Mk4?
    The Mk4 is bigger overall and has a 70L tank instead of 58L Mk 3, so range better but weight means economy slightly down.
    I’m able to get 600miles on a tank mostly motorway @80mph (5.8litres/62 miles).
    I swapped 18″s for steel 16″s, around 4% fuel economy gain and only £75 a tyre (Goodyear)

ElShalimo

Cougar – tell me more about these roof bars……

Cougar

They’re bars. They go on the roof. (-:

Thule Aerobars + fitting kit and matching locks. Spent four years on the roof so need a bloody good clean, otherwise fine I think. Looking for fifty quid maybe, in east lancs if collection is an option.

ElShalimo

Cougar – ygm

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘2009 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi hatchback – any good?’ is closed to new replies.