Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Monday Question – Why do – non mountain bikers think………
  • shortcut

Why is it that none mountain bikers think that riding in mud is more fun that riding on dry dusty trails?

This is something that has bothered me for a long time but I have no real answer for. So… what do you lot think?

ahwiles
    Free Member

mud = bad

too much dust = inconvenient for us slow guys at the back

but i don't mind a bit of dampness.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I dont mind mud actually, for some reason I get a bit of satisfaction from splashing through a muddy puddle 😀

tjr666
    Free Member

I prefer the mud?? Apart from bike cleaning at the end and increased wear of parts, I have more fun and its not so bad when you hit the deck. Dry and dusty is fun too, but bring on the mud!! 😈

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i don't understand the question, if you was a non mountain biker how would you know that riding on mud is more fun that dusty trails, some people may like mud as it puts the fun in it or some people like the dusty trails because it faster and smoother and its more of a rush, IMO i like both 😀

xc-steve
    Free Member

I like both but not on the same ride! Nothing worse than having a dry ride only to be ruined by that one out of the sun/shelterd bit which never dries up! 🙁

lowey

Its ALL good.

tim41
    Free Member

May be it's more a case of non-bikers see us bikers out plastered in mud in the winter, but still enjoying ourselves, therefore they assume that the mud is an important part of the off road riding experience.

I'd be surprised if anyone really thought that mud was better than dry trails though.

allthepies
    Free Member

>I prefer the mud??

Really ? You don't seem sure 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

How can you be a mtb in this country and dislike mud?
    Do you just wait for those 2 dry days every year
    I am always surprised when you get your bike home to see a fine layer of dust all over it and no mud

oldgit
    Free Member

I love the dust. I have a little sex wee when I see that first cloud of dust of the year come up from the rider in front.
    And I like to run my finger through the dust on my frame afterwards.

Nick

Can't say I've ever met any non-mountain-bikers who think that riding in the mud is better or worse than riding on dusty trails, I seriously doubt it enters the mind of anyone who doesn't ride a bike off road.

I did get asked once what happens when it rains; I admitted to them that, like channel swimmers, we smear a layer of lard or vaseline on to prevent wrinkled skin.

samuri
    Free Member

lol @ nick

njee20
    Free Member

Well a lot of roadies often head off road in the winter, whilst a lot of MTBers hit the road. I would guess it's about the conditions being worse than you're used to, if you enjoy riding off road in the dry and the dust, trudging through the mud is a bit crap (I think so anyway!).

Conversely if you're used to riding on the road in the blistering sun, riding through the salt and the ice isn't great, and the mud holds more appeal.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Conversely if you're used to riding on the road in the blistering sun, riding through the salt and the ice isn't great, and the mud holds more appeal.

Yup, because corrosive gritty and slippery mud is far better than….salt and ice… 😀 Not sure that works.

Most people I know who don't bike automatically assume that riding in mud is horrific. My experience is at odds with that of the OP.

fadda

Lol @ oldgit!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Monday Question – Why do – non mountain bikers think………’ is closed to new replies.